*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2251208-Amalgamated-Enigmas
Rated: E · Essay · Philosophy · #2251208
Homage to an old self-referential story first published in 1981 by David Moser.

Amalgamated Enigmas

Where the Obscure and the Inscrutable become Indistinguishable


This self-referential sentence would like to convey to all in attendance that this is truly the first complete sentence of this paragraph. In the spirit of the now famous self-referential story first published in Scientific American magazine, January 1981 issue ("Metamagical Themas" by David Moser), this lengthy sentence wishes to establish to all that this is in fact the second and genuinely longest sentence in this illustrious first paragraph. Now introduces the sentence fragment. Again. to close out the first....

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that Franz Kafka was never actually a giant insect. And further philosophical pursuit will inform all right-thinking individuals that people simply don't wake up in the morning to an extra few limbs and antennae. Clearly Mr. Kafka wanted us to think about life and its nature from the perspective of a truly humble, albeit far too large creature. Returning to the concept of self-reference, this sentence wishes to allude to the fact that the previous three sentences have no place in a self-referencing story, but that there is still merit in noting Mr. Kafka's odd way of thinking, especially when tied to the opening few words of the second paragraph of the Declaration of Independence. This sentence points with pride and humility at the length and the depth of the previous sentence, in spite of the overabundance of prepositions. Given the title of this work, I think we can all safely proclaim that these words have captured the spirit of an enigma, amalgamated.

Moving on (says this new paragraph's first semi-self-referencing sentence). Franz Kafka and Thomas Jefferson have very little in common. For while Franz is quite inscrutable and obscure outside literature and philosophy circles, Thomas is quite well known and generally easy to understand. Herein lies the amalgamation. This sentence wishes to close out this paragraph immediately as it just realized the fatal flaw in logic where one of the two parts of the amalgamation are neither obscure nor inscrutable. Moving on....

To be or not to be.... NO! we will have no quotes from writers named Bill.

This sentence is the first sentence of the last paragraph. This sentence notes that while this whole endeavor was note-worthy, it failed to rise to the expectations of its author.

This sentence informs you that the first sentence of the previous paragraph was not only a bald-faced lie, but it was intentionally misleading. This is the last sentence and final word. Another lie.... "Out damned spot..." Bill, I said NO!

© Copyright 2021 thomaspeople (thomaspeople at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2251208-Amalgamated-Enigmas