*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2252720-At-the-Mall
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2252720
Flash Fiction
At the Mall

“Susan! I was hoping I’d see you while I was here!”

I looked over, the woman calling was coming toward me waving, but I couldn’t place her for the life of me. Wracking my brain, and trying not to be rude, I just smiled, maybe she was mistaking me for someone else, though my name was Susan...

“Hello,” I said, as softly, and noncommittedly as possible. I didn’t want her to think I’d forgotten her if I did know her, but wasn’t willing to jump on board if I didn’t. She didn’t seem to be the type I usually hung around with.

First of all she was dressed to the nines. I’m lucky if I’m ever dressed to the fours. The idea of us ever going anywhere together was a bit off. She seemed to be the fancy restaurant, country club type, while I was fast food and yard sales.

Maybe I knew her from somewhere else? As she got closer I wracked my brain. The kids school? The library? My bank maybe? Nothing was coming to mind. I was starting to panic. How was she going to react if I said “I’ve never seen you before in my life.” But then if I went on with the charade, and then she found out she really didn’t know me, that would be so embarrassing! Anyway, to me it would.

Well, this was it. I had to do something, she was now practically on top of me!

I opened my mouth, not even sure what I was going to say. But she waltzed right past me and hugged a woman standing four feet behind me! Apparently also named Susan!

I was so relieved, I bought myself a triple fudge sunday on the way home from Diet Club!!! It made my day!
© Copyright 2021 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2252720-At-the-Mall