*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2253065-The-Flashes-Chapter-12
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Bruce.
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #2253065
The Pirates Return.
Chapter 12

After their meal the following day, Baldwin and Erica set of for Mossley. They arrived at the small gate just after six in the evening and Baldwin asked the guard about his friend Morgan. "You have just missed him," the guard said. "He's just gone off duty. But you will probably find him at The Bull Inn."

         They were soon there and saw their friend sitting at a table with Flora.

         “Thought you had abandoned me,” Morgan said. “Sit down with us while I fetch a fresh jug of ale." He turned to Flora this is Erica,” he said.

         “Hello, Flora. I think I've seen you about town," Erica said.

         “Yes, and I you. It's nice to meet you properly," Flora said.

         "I'll go and get some ale, as the serving wench is not working tonight," Morgan said.

         Flora laughed "I don't have to work so many hours now Morgan has moved in.”

         Morgan was soon back. "Your boss said he would bring it over."

         "Do you two live here at the inn then?" Erica asked.

         "No, I have a small place over the road."

         “I’d like to live in a proper dwelling one day,” Erica said.

         “Like she said, it’s only over the road," Morgan said. "Flora can take you over for a nosey.”

         Flora stood up. “Come on then, Erica,” She said.

         Although Erica felt a little awkward because she didn't know Flora that well, she was eager to see the dwelling.

         "I'm glad they have gone," Morgan said. "Look past me and you will see a man with a long beard sitting on his own. Do you recognise him?"

         “Not really, no.”

         “No, nor did I. He’s a stranger in town and I was talking to him yesterday while waiting for Flora.”

         “He’s dressed like a hunter,” Baldwin said.

         “He does claim to be a hunter. But he also said he's just returned from the Pavillion uprising. There are many I wouldn’t recognise. But I was with the Duke a lot so I would have thought he would recognise me.”

         "Maybe he was on the other side."

         "What with that scruffy long beard. I don't think so. Beards seem popular with the Pavillion folk, but the ones I've seen keep them trimmed."

         “So you didn’t say you were there.”

         “No, I don’t want to alert him, but I will be keeping an eye on him because I think he might be up to something.”

         “Well, Morgan, if you want me to take him out hunting, just let me know. And I’ll make sure he doesn’t return.”

         Morgan laughed. “It hasn’t come to that yet, but if it does, I'll deal with him myself." Morgan looked to the door. "The women are back." He smiled at Erica as she sat down. "Well, Erica, would you like Flora to look for a place for you and Baldwin?"

         “It’s a nice thought, but I could never leave my family.”

         Morgan looked at Baldwin and raised his eyebrows.

         The evening went well and it was late when they left the inn.

         “We’ll have to go out the main gate now and walk around the outside,” Baldwin said.

         “I’ll go to the small gate with you and the sentry will let you out,” Morgan said.

         “Are they allowed to do that?” Erica asked.

         “They are if I tell them to. But why don’t you stay with us for the night and go home in the daylight.”

         “We’ll be all right,” Baldwin said. “I quite like walking in the moonlight and if there are any outlaws or wolves about; my sword has never let me down yet. Anyway, Erica's parents would be worried if we didn't return and Dunstan might come looking for her.”

         They said there goodbyes and set off but Baldwin stopped when they got to the second area of woodlands. "There is a nice piece of lush grass here. Shall we rest and have some starlight love?"

         "Starlight love, what's that?" Erica asked.

         Baldwin laid his cloak on the grass. "I'll show you."

         Erica was curious, but the nearby howl of a wolf startled her and she pulled out her short sword. "Another time, perhaps. We had better get back to The Flashers."

Baldwin looked at her sword and the stern look on her face and wondered if the sword were for the wolf, or for him. He picked up his cloak and they hurried off.

* * * * *


          Elfwine and Osbert had cut the timber for the gates. The following day Baldwin helped them to build the new stronger gates with some narrow gaps should they want to fire arrows through. "That should stop anybody trying to break through," Elfwine said. "The tide is out. We'll have a rest and then go out and get some seafood for ourselves. It'll be too late for the market."

         "Go out now," Matilda said. "I'm about to start dinner. Osbert, go and fetch some water."

         Osbert took the jug outside but then came running back in. "There's a ship in the bay," he shouted.

         The men ran to the cave entrance. "The pirates are back," Elfwine said.

         "The girls," Matilda said. "They are in the woods gathering herbs and berries."

         Baldwin picked up his sword. "I'll go out and get them," he said.

         "No!" Elfwine yelled. "You might be needed here, Baldwin. Osbert, you go and find them and hurry back. But if you're too late then you must all hide in the woods until they have gone."

         Elfwine turned to Baldwin again. "Let's get our weapons, it looks like you might get a fight with the pirates after all."

 The Flashes, Chapter 13  (18+)
Pirates Steal the Mossley Gold.
#2146704 by Bruce.


© Copyright 2021 Bruce. (brucef at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2253065-The-Flashes-Chapter-12