*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2253069-The-Flashes--Chapter-14
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Bruce.
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #2253069
Elfwine sets out for revenge.
Chapter 14

Baldwin walked into the cave to see Arabella laid out on the table. Dunstan was trying to stop the blood flowing and Arabella was not conscious. Matilda and Erica were looking on and weeping. It was two hours of hope before they realised they had lost her. Dunstan was comforting Matilda and Osbert was comforting his sister Erica. Baldwin took over from Osbert and held the sobbing girl to his chest as he looked at Elfwine who was standing staring at Arabella.

         “I’m going for the others,” Elfwine said.

         “They will probably be killed at Mossley,” Baldwin said.

         “Maybe, maybe not. I’m going anyway. And I need to bring the vicar for when we bury Arabella.”

         “The vicar may not come all this way,” Dunstan said.

         “He’ll come, even if I have to tie him up and carry him.”

         Elfwine left the cave and Baldwin followed. Elfwine turned. “You’ll need your bow if there are still eight of them.”

         Baldwin nodded and went back for the bow.

         “I’ll come too,” Osbert said.

         “No, you stay in case Dunstan needs your help,” Baldwin said. "Keep an eye on the pirate ship in case more of them come ashore." He spoke quickly and then ran off to catch up with Elfwine.

         They were through the marsh and into the first group of woodland. "This is a good spot," Elfwine said. “Let’s get to the higher ground and wait for them.”

         It was an easy climb and they were soon at the edge of the trees and stood partially hidden. The time passed slowly and Baldwin wondered how long they would be there before Elfwine thought the pirates had been killed at Mossley.

         Sound travels well during the night and Elfwine put up his hand. “Do you hear them?”

         “Can’t hear anything.”

         “Shouting and laughing. They are coming this way.”

         “Yes, I hear them now,” Baldwin said. “But how many have survived their futile attack?”

         It still took a while before the pirates came into view and Baldwin and Elfwine waited until they came up level with them.

         "They have not lost any men, in fact, they seem to have gained a man, I counted nine,” Elfwine said. “They are carrying a casket and some other goods. Seems that despite what you said, they have had a successful raid. “Are you ready, Baldwin?” Without waiting for an answer Elfwine let loose with his first arrow which easily made its mark and a pirate dropped screaming.

         Baldwin feared for his friend Morgan over at Mossley but had to dismiss the thought and he too let an arrow fly. Elfwine took another down but both of Baldwin’s missed though they did add to the panic.

         One of the pirates fired a shot which fell short and the raiders spread out and began to hurry up the bank, weaving as they went. The targets would not be so easy to hit until the enemy was almost on them, then it might be too late. An arrow came from the direction of Mossley and a pirate fell dead.

         “It’s Morgan,” Baldwin shouted. “Careful you don’t hit his men.”

         “I’m not an idiot, Baldwin.” One of the pirates stopped momentarily to look at Morgan’s men, unwittingly making himself an easy target and Elfwine took him down.

         The pirates, in panic, ran back down and tried to flee but three arrows flew at them killing another although it was unclear whose arrow did the deed.

         The remaining four held up their hands. “Yield, Yield,” they shouted. But their words didn’t stop Elfwine and he took another easy target.

         “It’s over, Elfwine,” Baldwin said and he wrestled the bow from Elfwine. “Calm down. Let’s get down to help Morgan, I don’t trust those men.”

         “Give my bow back and you won’t need to trust them.”

         They went down and met up with Morgan. “Look, Baldwin,” Morgan said. “It’s our bearded friend from the Inn. He killed one of my men and let this lot in through the back gate. I’ll watch him hang.”

         Elfwine looked at the bearded man. “So, it’s you who brought these men here.” He lunged forward with his dagger and stabbed the man in his heart. He looked at the other pirates but Baldwin and Morgan’s archer grabbed him.”

         One of the pirates raised his pistol and fired at them, hitting the archer in the head. The two pirates drew their swords but had no time to raise them before they were cut down by Morgan and his guard.

         Morgan kneeled down to his archer. “He’s dead." He turned to his guard. "What is your name?"

         "Thomas."

         "Well, Thomas, you are now part of my squad. You carry the gold casket. I will carry this man back. I’ll not leave him for the wolves.”

         “It’s not far to the cave from here,” Elfwine said. “Me and Baldwin can take turns. We can take him and bury him on our land tomorrow when we bury Arabella. But we’ll need the vicar from the chapel in Mossley.”

         “Arabella!” Morgan said.

         “Pirates killed her,” Baldwin said.

         Morgan walked over and clapped Elfwine on the back and gave a nod of his head, no words were needed. “Let’s go then.” Morgan picked up the casket and Thomas took the other stolen items. “I'll see you tomorrow.”

         “With the vicar,” Elfwine said.

         “You can be sure of that,” Morgan said.

* * * * *


         Morgan arrived with the vicar early in the morning, the guard, Thomas, also joined them. After the greetings, Morgan spoke to Baldwin. “I see the pirate ship is still in the bay,” he said. "Have you noticed any movement from them?"

         "Not really. We see a man looking over now and then. I don't think there are many onboard."

         "I can't understand why they are still there after all this time," Morgan said.

         “Maybe they think there is a problem at Mossley and some of their men will still make it back," Baldwin said. "They will probably wait a few days before they give up. Like I said, I think they are short of men or they would have sent another boat to shore by now.”

         “Umm, I’ll be glad to see them gone though,” Morgan said.

         “So will we. We have to take turns all night watching for them, just in case.”

         "I think you will need to keep an eye on Elfwine as well, in case he decides to row one of the boats over there."

         "I don't think there is much chance of that. Apparently, he doesn't like going on boats. I will watch him though."

         They all walked out to a special corner of the field where Dunstan's parents were buried. The graves had been dug and the services for Arabella and the archer were soon over.

         “Would you like to stop for some dinner?” Matilda asked.

         “We need to get back,” Morgan said. “We would love to stay but we can’t leave Mossley short of men for too long.”

         “Another time then.”

         “I’ll look forward to that.” They said their goodbyes and as they walked off Morgan gave another concerned glance over to the pirate ship.

         When they got back to Mossley, they reported to the mayor who had two wads of cloth over his facial injuries. He was pleased about the return of the town's gold and though he did not want to say much for fear of opening the wounds, he stood them down for the rest of the day. Morgan set off to The Bull Inn with Thomas.

         They were halfway through their first jug of ale. “Let’s hope the Vialians leave us alone for a while,” Morgan said. “What with the men dead and wounded from their last visit and the injured archer and the two killed by the pirates. We might struggle in a sustained attack.”

         No sooner had Morgan finished speaking when the town's warning horn was sounded. The two men ran outside as an archer was running for the small gate.

         “What is it?” Morgan shouted.

         “Vialians,” the man called back.

 The Flashes. Chapter 15  (18+)
The Vialians arrive to trade with the Pirates.
#2146926 by Bruce.


© Copyright 2021 Bruce. (brucef at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2253069-The-Flashes--Chapter-14