*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2253076-The-Flashes-Chapter-18
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Bruce.
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #2253076
A spy is discovered.
Chapter 18

Guy is the son of the leader of the Vialians. He rode his white horse up to his tent and dismounted. He stood holding the rein for half a minute and the groom rushed over. “What have I told you about keeping me waiting?” He punched the groom in the face knocking him to the floor before slapping the flank of the horse. The horse ran off. “Now go and fetch my horse back and if you are more than ten minutes I’ll have your head on a pole.” The groom jumped up and chased after the horse. Guy spoke to one of the two bodyguards outside his tent. “Is the Weasel back from Mossley yet?"

         "He is," one of the bodyguards said.

         "Well go and fetch him then,” he shouted.

         The Weasel was soon bodily thrown into the tent.

         Guy was sat on his throne-like chair. "So, Weasel, my gunpowder was blown up. What sort of bloody liberty is that, after all my planning?”

         “I’m sorry, Sire.”

         “Sorry,” Guy shouted. “Why, was it your fault that blew it up?”

         “No, no, Sire.”

         “Well tell me. That’s what you are paid for after all. Give me the names of those that destroyed my plans.”

         “It was a man from out of town.”

         “A man, one man?”

         “Yes, it was an archer by the name of Elfwine. He lives down in a cave at The Flashes. He is the son of Balfor.”

         “Balfor!" Guy gave a loud exaggerated laugh. "I remember Balfor. Supposed to be the best archer in the land. But his skills let him down when my father ran him through with a lance. So it was his son who destroyed my powder.”

         “And killed the men.”

         “Yes, and that. Well, I’ll have to pay a visit to The Flashes, won’t I? And let history be repeated as I kill the son of Balfor myself. Now, Weasel, get out of my sight and back to Mossley, but don’t leave it too long to report back, you don’t want to anger me.”

         “No, Sire, but the guards are getting a bit suspicious if I go out too much.”

         “I said you don’t want to anger me,” he shouted and Weasel backed out of the tent giving multiple apologies.

         It was dark when Weasel got back to Mossley main gate carrying a bag with a single rabbit inside.

         “Bit late aren’t you? We were just about to raise the bridge,” one of the guards said.

         “Been checking my trap for a rabbit for my supper,” Weasel said and opened the bag to show the guard.

         The guard opened the gate and let him in but frisked him and took his dagger. “Just come to the office a minute,” the guard said.

         “Why?” Weasel said. “I’ve not had to do this before.”

         “And you may not have to do this again.”

         “What do you mean, what’s going on?”

         They walked in the office and the guard opened a door to a cell. “Get in,” he said.

         “But you can’t do this. I’ve done nothing wrong.”

         Despite his protests, the guard pushed Weasel in and locked the door. He spoke to the other guard. “Run down to The Bull Inn and tell Morgan he is needed at the office.”

         The guard was soon back with Morgan. “What is the problem that you pull me away from my ale and my woman for?” Morgan said.

         “Sorry, sir, but a small-time trapper says he has been out for a rabbit. I know though, that he has been out all day because when you led the men out to fight the Vialians after the explosion, I saw him sneak out with you all and head off to the forest.”

         “Good work,” Morgan said. “Let’s have a word with him?”

         Morgan walked into the cell and his size and physique sent a bolt of fear through Weasel.

         “So, you are a spy for the Vialians?” Morgan said.

         “No, of course not. What makes you...” Morgan grabbed the man by his coat and threw him across the room.

         “Right I’ll say it again. You are a spy for the Vialians.”

         “I’ve told you, no. Please let me go.”

         Morgan took out his dagger and pressed it against the man’s throat. “I haven’t got time for this; I have ale and female company waiting for me at the Inn. “Give me the right answer or I will cut your throat and you will die here, now.”

         “All right, all right I'll tell you. Guy made me snoop here; he would kill me otherwise. I am not safe here. If he finds out I've told you anything he will send someone here to kill me.”

         Morgan stepped away from the man. “Maybe you think you are in a lose-lose situation but you are not. You have choices. You either tell me what I want to know and I'll see you get to start a new life down the coast at Advent. Or you don’t and you die right now. Your friend Guy is no longer in this picture.”

         “You give me your word you will get me out.”

         “Yes, I give my word. Now, who is this Guy?”

         “He is the second in command and a very evil man. His father is still in charge but more in the background.”

         “So Guy is in charge of the fighting. And the father, who is he?”

         “Oliver, Oliver Fenglast. You might have heard of him.”

         “No, can’t say I have and I wouldn’t forget a name like that. So, your man Guy, how would I recognise him?"

         "He is always on a white horse. He is the only one with a white horse. There are only a few other horses but they are all black.”

         “Oh, I think I have seen him in a raid on the town, but what if he is not on a horse?"

         "He has evil eyes; two different colours, one dark and one light."

         "So how many men has he on strength?”

         “He has lost a lot of men what with that explosion and other raids. But he still must have about fifty to sixty followers.”

         “So if I want to go and talk to Guy, which direction do I go and how long will it take me to get there?”

         “Out the gate and due east. It should take about three hours.”

         Morgan walked out the door. “You will be safe here. I’ll get some food and drink sent over.”

         “When can I go to Advent?”

         “When I know you have been telling the truth. If you haven’t, you will hang.”

 The Flashes Chapter 19  (18+)
A Town In Fear.
#2252995 by Bruce.


© Copyright 2021 Bruce. (brucef at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2253076-The-Flashes-Chapter-18