*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2253253-Cashiered
Rated: E · Short Story · Comedy · #2253253
Another boring day shopping... A Daily Flash Fiction Winner
Cashiered!

Jason zigzagged across the front of the store, peering into the long queues of customers fidgeting. Several people glared at him. “Not trying to cut in. Just looking for my wife,” he mumbled. There she is. He quietly came up behind Emily, grabbing and lifting her into the air.

“Eeek! Jason! You scared me to death,” she said, her face descending into a scowl.

Jason grinned. “Don’t blame me. You're the one who wanted to go shopping. I’m bored.”

She grinned back. "And you're the one who expects there to be food in the house," she shot back.

Looking over the top of her head, he glared at the seemingly endless line. “I haven't had this much fun since I fed my brother to the pigs.”

“Patience,” Emily said.

A grandmotherly-type lady turned. “What a terrible thing to say!” she admonished.

“I don’t really have a brother,” he said under her withering glare.

“Of course not. You fed him to the pigs!”

“It’s just a saying.”

“Well, see something, say something is just a saying too!” As he watched, she pulled out her phone and began dialing 9-1-1.

“Wait! Really, I was just trying to be funny. It didn’t mean anything.”

"It's a bit late to plead innocence now," she snapped. She paused and looked up, her face breaking into a grin and then she laughed, showing him a blank screen

“You didn’t call?”

“Two things you need to know, young man. We’re all bored ... and you’re not the only smartass here.”

Jason blushed as Emily “high-fived” her and the nearby customers joined in the laughter.


Divider line



An entry for "Daily Flash Fiction Challenge
Prompt: Write a story that includes the phrase: “You scared me to death.”
Word Limit: 300
Word Count: 247
© Copyright 2021 🌕 HuntersMoon (huntersmoon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2253253-Cashiered