*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2254243-My-Mom
Rated: E · Article · Experience · #2254243
The Best Mom Ever
I love my mom. Even though I believe the relationship between a mother and son is a special one, I believe I've always had a special relationship with my mom. Since my dad has passed away I tell her every chance I get how much I love her. I've even thanked her for things she did when I was growing up.

I remember a time when I was 16, and I was a real brat of a kid, I don't remember the reasons why now, but no one else was around that could take my mom to the dentist. She was having a real bad toothache, and for some reason no one could take her. She asked me and I was actually happy that I could do something for her. I can't stand tooth pain and have a lot of compassion for anyone else having it, especially my mom. So I had no problem taking her.
My mom has always been very straight. Growing up that's how I saw it anyway. She wasn't a smoker or a drinker. She always ate healthy and drank lots of water. She drug me with her to church every Sunday. I grew up sitting beside my mom, my grandmother and my great-grandmother on the back pew of The First Baptist Church. She made sure I was in Sunday school every week and I went to vacation Bible school and even went to Church Camp twice. When I was growing up every time the wind blew and one of the doors of the church flew open we were there. Up until I was about 16 and I'll save that for another story. I look back now and realize she wasn't just "straight" she was Christian.
My mom is and always has been the very best person I ever knew. She, like my dad, tolerated an awful lot from me. Growing up I was a horrible kid. I grew up in a small town in Texas and back then there was only three television stations and one radio station. There may have been more than one radio station, but when I was growing up WBAP out Fort Worth Texas was the only radio station that played in our house. Or in anyone else's house that I was ever in growing up. So in my world it was the only radio station there was.

If you went over to my grandmothers or my great-grandmothers, you can bet they were watching the Porter Wagner Show on tv. I got so sick and tired of hearing country music. That was my downfall. Most of my moms family was farmers. I felt like I was surrounded by a bunch of country hicks. To this day I don't know why that bothered me so much but it did. I somehow knew there was a world outside of that small town I grew up in and I knew there was more to life than farms and country music.

So I rebelled. Boy did I rebel big time. I wanted to grow my hair long and listen to anything that wasn't country. I better stop myself before I get much further into this subject because this is another story entirely and I'm getting away from my mom. I love my mom and after growing up, as with my dad, I came to understand her a lot better.
Fortunately, I got to know myself a lot better growing up, thanks to my mom and dad. And who would’ve ever thought, as I got older my hair got shorter and I've come to love country music and farmers and ranchers and small town people. I'm very fortunate to still have my mom. And very fortunate to have had her as a mother. God blessed me with my mom and I love them both.
Tell people you love them and how you feel, say things you need to say, they may need to hear them. Time goes by much quicker than you think.

© Copyright 2021 Enoch Jones (rlj1960 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2254243-My-Mom