*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2254475-Yes-maybe-no
by Randy
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Detective · #2254475
Work in progress…
CHAPTER ONE
PROLOGUE

HE STOOD LOOKING DOWN at the great Pacific Ocean below. It was a cool, dark evening night in San Francisco and he could hear the vehicles race each other behind him.

One after the other.

Clutching the railing, he makes his move towards the other side of the railing, both arms now holding his full weight. He sees a single finishing boat down below. There’s two gentlemen watching him, wondering if the young man in his late thirties is going to make the
leap and crash into the ocean below.

He had gone too far this time, hadn’t he?

“Don’t do it, man!” An older man calmly says behind him. “What’s your name, son?” He adds.

“It doesn’t matter anymore,” He says.

“My name is David.” He pauses. Stands beside him and looks down below at the two fishermen on the boat. “I bet if we both went for coffee and you tell me what the problem was, you’d think that this was a stupid idea. C’ome man, I’ll buy you a coffee!” David holds out his hand, signaling for him to come down from the ledge.

“… At least tell me your name, son.” He says.
David presses with no responses. He just looks down, wiping the remaining tears from his face, and closes his eyes, then turns slowly towards David.

“My name is, uh…Austin.” He finally said, panting, heart pounding rapidly. “I’m up her because I deserve to be, sir.”

David looks puzzled. “Why, what do you mean?”
“Have you been reading the papers?”

“I’m sorry, I haven’t.” David said.

Austin turns around, still on the other side of the railing, but facing David. The lights of San Francisco gleaming over the night.

The night was perfect!

“… The bay harbor murders?”

“Yeah, it’s awful.” He paused. “You know, they still haven’t found the killer. And I doubt they will find him now that they killed the lead detective last night.”

“Magen Taylor,” Austin jumps in.

“Yeah, you know her?”

“She was my girlfriend. She was only twenty-nine,” looking back down at the great ocean below. Last minute, thoughts of Megan come racing through his mind. And who the hell is this David fellow?
Not another single thought came through his mind after he had heard the words those words.

The words pierced through his heart.

“It’s you, I don’t believe this.” His voice still calm, his words penetrating and discerning. “I watched her die, Austin.”

“What the fuck!” A confusing look washes over Austin’s face and before you know it he’s in a position he knows he can’t control.

He’s fucked!

“I knew you’d be here,” He pauses, as he grabs Austin’s hands from the railing. “Here let me help you, Austin.”

“Why, what have you done?”

David has both his hands. An evil smile washes over him.
“I wasn’t sure who you were, but after tonight, after following you here I now know that you’re the right guy.”

David lets his hands go and Austin Gray falls two-hundred-twenty meters to his death.

That was the beginning.
© Copyright 2021 Randy (rcvincent at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2254475-Yes-maybe-no