*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2255251-A-Spirited-Contest------WC-563
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Experience · #2255251
Winner! The Writer's Cramp In Honor of National Tequila Day July 24, 2021
In Honor of National Tequila Day

A Spirited Contest


So one day Juan and Saul met in the middle of the agave field. They were cutting the agave crop to make their favorite brews.

Saul hauled his half of the crop off to the tahona so the burros could start the job of processing the agave. The giant stone would crush the fibers. Then the juice would collect to be fermented into tequila. The fermentation would happen in large wooden barrels.

But this day Juan decided to change up his process. The agave he collected would go to be roasted first, then crushed to extract the juices and then fermented in clay pots.

“I think we need to have a contest my friend. We need to challenge our friends. Have them decide which drink they prefer,” Juan stated with assurance as he loaded the huge agave on his wagon.

Saul laughed. “I know my tried and true method will be the winner. You are playing with fire, my friend. Playing with a recipe from the crazy Spaniards. Nothing good can come from that.”

They agreed to the challenge, and made a date in two years to call their friends to a tasting.

The hard job of distilling took some days. Saul called upon his hard-working neighbors for this challenge. They were able to produce enough Tequila to satisfy the entire region. All was put into wooden barrels and marked “Special Per Saul”.

Juan’s factory took great care to carefully roast just the hearts of the agave plants. Then they extracted the juice, fermented it as a mash, and stored it in clay pots. Each pot bore the mark of Juan. The pots were stored on a special rack for the time allowed to ferment and become a special Mezcal.

After this time of agave preparation, the two friends went back to their regular duties of farming and family. Upon the appointed day, the entire village gathered to taste the two beverages.

On one table was Juan’s Mezcal, a beautiful, smoky brown brew from the blue agave plant.

The other table held Saul’s Tequila, also from the blue agave plant, this potent liquor was clear.

Small glasses to sample sat before each bottle. Each brewmaster poured samples for the villagers to taste.

As each villager tasted, they were to put a vote in a pot. White bean for good, black bean for bad. The votes would be tallied at the end of the tasting. The winner got bragging rights for the best brew.

“It is time, dear friends! Come! Sample our drinks!”

All the villagers came to taste. Soon all were laughing, drinking, eating the food the women brought. A band was formed. The dancing started. Children ran back and forth playing games. Dogs barked to be included in the fun. The party lasted long into the night.

No one wanted to go home. But the drinks stopped when the moon came over the trees. One by one the villagers went back to their adobe homes. They carried their sleeping children. The dogs slept in the quiet corners.

Juan and Saul emptied the jars of beans. They were curious to see the result of the voting. Juan got 20 white beans and no black beans. Saul got 20 white beans and no black beans.

“We have a tied contest, my friend.” Saul smiled.

“It was the good agave, dear friend,” said Juan.


W/C 563

© Copyright 2021 Queen NormaJean Greeneyes (normajeantrent at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2255251-A-Spirited-Contest------WC-563