*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2255497-The-Six-Wolf-War
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #2255497
Your land is dying from a heinous crime. Will you save it?
The Six Wolf War

The horse shifts beneath you, nervous. Its armor jingles faintly.

It is almost dawn
A crescent moon, horns upturned
The rising herald


Fitting.

For almost eighty years the Sun has looked down on your homeland with grief and wrath. The ambitions of warriors and fools broke the holy empire, murdering the last of the Sun Daughters and all of her court. In the endless petty wars of the samurai that have followed, blood has spilled like rain, but there is no fire. The Sun averts her gaze and the souls of men are diminished.

Layers of armor creak as you shift your balance, facing into the rising wind as a fiery glow spreads across the choppy sea.

Even as the Sun wept, her sister the Moon has kept vigil over Jitaiyō. The shadows of a starless night are seeping into the world with only her silver-scarred chosen hunting the monsters that gather in that darkness. Tirelessly she has sought to console her sister and to remind the Sun that her love for the land was always greater than her pain.

She has at last — in some measure — succeeded.

Last night the Moon was absent from the sky and the Silver Sister walked among mortals, appearing before six daimyos, the greatest of lords. She made an offer: “Rise up. Conquer and unite the provinces. Best your rivals! Shine! Prove your fire and my sister will send a new Daughter sit upon the throne. The greatest of you will stand at her side, your house first in the empire as Jitaiyō is first among lands my sister loves.”

She chose six wolves to conquer in her name. To remind the Sun that yours are a proud people: warriors in blood and in spirit.

The Sun lifts over the horizon, its razor-edged rays casting the sea-cliffs around you in stark relief. Your home, your lands, made sharp and new in her regard. It is a different Sun than you have ever known. You can feel Her watching now. Curious at what might be about to unfold.

The Moon has brought your people one last chance. All eyes will lift to the sky uncertain at what is coming. But you know.

She also came to you last night.

Lords will raise the banners in this coming war, but it will be fought by the likes of you. With blade or scroll or silver-tongued words, you will decide who is to be lifted up, who is cast down. Your fealty – and that of the other heroes she has chosen – will be the most precious currency of all. As the great lords have been called, so have you.

To show your fire.

To rekindle the Sun’s affection.

To save Jitaiyō.

You unsheathe your sword to the slow hiss of curved steel. The blade seems to spring forth, its eagerness reflecting your own. Sunlight glitters off of its polished edge, sparkles dancing over your armor. It is beautiful but too pristine. This edge, like your heart, yearns to become chipped and worn, strengthened by use. Tempered by struggle.

To be samurai.

You stand in the saddle, raising your blade to salute the Sisters rising together from the sea. Pride and hope surging in your heart until it bursts out of you in a wild, wordless shout!

She has called.

You will answer.

- - -

Introductory fiction for the Jitaiyō tabletop RPG campaign setting.
For more about Jitaiyō, the Alabaster game system, and my other RPG writing, please visit~

https://www.patreon.com/AlabasterRPGS
© Copyright 2021 Morgenstern (morgenstern11 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2255497-The-Six-Wolf-War