*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2256154-Stardust-Clouds-the-Hourglass
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Drama · #2256154
Meeting up with an old love at a reunion, feelings resurface.
Cassidy watched him in the mirror behind the bar. Donny Lamont, was once her future, “the only guy I will ever love.” The honey-colored brandy in his glass was the same shade as his hair. His eyes were lovely topaz. She remembered that cold, wet night in his Nova. It was 1971 and they were kids playing grown ups.

It was snowing, the heater wasn’t working but his warm hands felt wonderful on her naked skin. He was so ready and she was silk. Still, the pain of penetration was new. She bit her lips, trying not to cry, swallowing blood and teardrops. When he was done, he kissed her, tasting her salty pain.
“Baby, why didn’t you tell me this was your first time?”
“It’s okay now, it just hurt at first,” her voice sounded like a little girl.

So many years ago, more than thirty yet it seemed like yesterday. She still had her prom dress.
Suddenly, she wished she had not come. High school reunions were ridiculous. Everyone sized each other up, how much weight each had gained, how old so and so looked. Who was a lawyer, physician, a housewife or city sewage worker?

They were pulling out pictures of little Debbie, Cash Jr. and bragging about what college they were in. Some even had grandchildren. It was like high school all over again, fitting people in their “groups,” the athletes, brains, social butterflies, cheerleaders, and the outcasts. Cassidy never quite fit in a clique.

After collecting name tags, most had run for the bar, indulging in alcoholic confidence. Of course the music playing was from the 70's. Once in the assigned conference room, the walls were tastefully decorated with large photos from their senior yearbook. The reunion started with Happy Hour as everyone mingled for a while.

She had to know about Donny. They had gone steady most of high school. She had worn his ring with wax in it. They were named “Best Couple” in the yearbook. Their picture from the prom was on the wall.
He had been accepted at Dad’s alma mater, Duke. She was going to community college, studying social science.
Oh the promises, to write every day, call and see each other often. The first year they did and then his letters stopped coming. She cried every night for a month but was too embarrassed to call him.
She poured her love into school and work with an occasional date for relaxation and a possible intimate encounter but no sleep overs. She transferred to Tulane and graduated from the School of Medicine. There she met a fellow resident but they were too busy for much more than a bootie call in various hospital hideaways and a quick lunch once in a while.

She found her passion helping rehabilitation patients after strokes and accidents. She loved watching people work hard, surprising themselves, to resume their lives. It took so much courage,
The physicians, social workers, nurses, therapists came up with a plan, and shared it with the patient. The patient was the quarterback, if they didn’t carry the ball, the plan changed. It was like making a stew with the flavor constantly changing until it was right for that person.
Her patients and the staff were like family but it was lonely in her tiny rented bungalow.

Cassidy decided to make a move. Donny was watching the ball game in the hotel bar so she put her hands over his eyes, “Guess who?”
“Bugs Bunny?”
“That one will cost you,” it was so easy to talk, “want to try again?”
“You still wear the same perfume, Cass, expensive stuff, Chloe.”
“I can’t believe you remember,” she laughed.
“It broke me to buy it for you four times a year.”
“I deserved it.”
“Yes, you did.”
“So what happened to us?”
“I’m alone. When the music starts, we’ll trip the light fantastic and turn back time.”

Then a few classmates that had organized the reunion welcomed all and made announcements. They also did a nice tribute to those that had "passed on". The laughter and tears as people recalled pranks, athletic victories, the "known popular couples", teacher memories. Tomorrow was a golf tournament for charity then a barbecue with families.
So they did play Karaoke together as Ike and Tina with “Proud Mary,” then played a silly nostalgia game. They sat down to the customary chicken dish with an exotic name, talking rather than eating.

It all felt so right, her body moved with his just like it used to. They fit together. He kissed her neck. This sent shivers down her spine. He pressed her close and she could feel his desire.
In a moment of clarity, Cassidy realized she was answering all his questions and he was avoiding hers.
She wanted this fairytale to be real. She knew it was time to ask the hard question.
“Donny, are you married?”
He lowered his eyes and couldn’t look at her.
Cassidy was surprised at her own reaction, “I feel sorry for your wife.”

She walked away with pride. She wouldn’t let this hurt. She mingled with the crowd and ended up having a great time.

Cassidy came away from the reunion with a gift from Donny, to always celebrate the present day.

By Kathie Stehr
© Copyright 2021 Redtowrite (kat47 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2256154-Stardust-Clouds-the-Hourglass