*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2256733-The-Nightmare
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · History · #2256733
A soldier grapples with his past.
         With a gasp, Gabriel bolted upright. Sweat streamed down his bare chest. He fingered his dog tags.
         For a moment, the dream lingered… Gabe stood, staring at the skeletal prisoners. Listless eyes met his – eyes that had endured unimaginable torment. Heads shaved, clothing tattered, they watched as his military platoon moved about the camp. You’re free! Don’t you understand? The Nazis cannot harm you anymore! He longed to shout the words, yet something held him back.
         “Gabriel?” The voice jolted him from his thoughts.
         His eyes found his wife's. “Elena.” Covering her hand with his, he released a breath.
         “Did you have another nightmare?”
         He nodded. “I can’t forget what I saw – what those brutes did…” At once, he released her hand and turned away. Moonlight streamed in, bathing him in ethereal hue.
         Tenderly, she caressed his shoulders. “You freed so many.”
         “You didn’t see what I witnessed. How could anyone do such a thing?”
         “I don’t know.”
         At last, he faced her with a sigh. “Thank you.”
         “For what?”
         “For listening.” Framing her cheek with a palm, he pressed his lips to hers. As he eased back, his eyes flickered.
         With a slow smile, she placed a hand over his dog tags. Her fingers gripped them as she drew his head downward. Passion mounted as their lips met.
         Gathering her in his muscled arms, he slid her down beside him. Sweat beaded, streaking down his forehead. He traced a finger down her cheek. “I love you.”
         In response, she whispered, “Always.”


Word Count: 252
© Copyright 2021 Michaela Elliott (writer4him at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2256733-The-Nightmare