*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2256878-Was-it-the-Truth--You-tell-Me
Rated: E · Fiction · Opinion · #2256878
August - Task #3 - "Writing an Editorial" - "Rising Stars" class assignment.
500 Words


Marietta and Franklin Sentago have a huge dilemma; they both have mental illnesses. Ms. Toobee Rationales, Marietta's supervisor, put her on a six-month probationary period to improve her work performance. If she failed to do so, she would lose her job. Six months passed without any improvement, so she lost her job. The reason for her discharge, the paper said, was because of her mental problem. She went to the Affirmative Action Department in hopes that they would fight for her. They didn't seem to do much, so that battle was lost.

She had several jobs: she waited on customers at the counter, dealt with correspondence, answered phones, and processed business and sales tax licenses. Employees would often ask her to wait on the customers at the counter when they could have gone up there sometimes themselves. Marietta was a slow worker, a handicap that she had no control over; this wasn't going to change. They often had her do extra things just so they didn't have to. It wouldn't have hurt them one bit. Marietta's disability was lifelong.

Franklin Sentago went to see Dr. Reneila Graymatter about some health issues that he was concerned about. He was tired, exhausted, could hardly walk, had weakness in his legs, was overweight, and had diabetes. He was feeling very sick. Dr. Graymatter ran a bunch of tests on him, only to say that he was fine. She advised him to eat the right food and start walking. He used to be very active in his life. The doctor didn't believe that he was sick. He felt awful and was in a lot of pain.

Franklin married Marietta after three failed marriages.

People kept telling Franklin and Marietta to get a job and go back to work. Their assumption about going back to work for them was all wrong. They didn't believe that they were disabled and because they weren't working, they said that they were just lazy. They actually were mad at them for not working; the Sentago's lost friends and family members because of that.

Many incidences happened to them that people wouldn't believe; they thought that their stories were made up. There was no way of convincing them otherwise. If they blamed them because of their handicap, how would they even stand a chance if they had to go before a judge in court? The incidences were so unbelievable, that they had a hard time believing it themselves.

They didn't feel that their dilemma was solvable. They felt that they were an outcast in society, therefore, nobody would be on their side. When everyone seems to be against you, believe me, it's no fun.

The concluding statement is this:

To most people, this may seem a bit controversial. You cannot place assumptions on people to do things just because they are different than the quote "normal people." Do you want to be an outcast from society for telling the truth, or do you believe that they're imagining it?


Written by Anna Marie Carlson
Thursday, August 19, 2021

© Copyright 2021 Anna Marie Carlson (annamc.poet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2256878-Was-it-the-Truth--You-tell-Me