*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2257434-A-New-Plant
Rated: E · Fiction · Family · #2257434
Daily Flash Fiction 8/29/21 W/C 300


A New Plant


“The situation is dire. All looks hopeless. Say your prayers. We haven’t got a chance.”

“Well aren’t you the gloomy Gus. Everything will be fine.”

“And aren’t you the Pollyanna. No, everything will not be fine.”

“Quit with the negative energy. It doesn’t like negative energy.”

“What makes you such an authority on this?”

“I watch YouTube videos. I know a thing or two. I read.”

“So you have the PhD of the Internet. Big deal.”

Jane and John argued like this for some time. The issue was whether or not to water the jade plant. This plant had been in their apartment for some years. It came after John had surgery one year. It survived several moves, a cat that liked to nibble it, a baby that knocked it over a few times, hot summer sun, cold winter breezes.

Now the jade plant looked a little sickly. Leaves were dropping or turning yellow.

“It’s also called a money plant. If you can keep it growing, you will have good luck with money.” Jane stated this with the utmost authority.

“No, you have good luck with money if you work hard and save.” John stated these facts with all the authority of a frugal person.

Mildred walked in, heard the two bickering. “Is this about that half-dead plant? For goodness sakes, throw it out. Quit arguing.” She grabbed the pot, marched it to the kitchen garbage. Then she marched back into the living room with a new plant.

“Here, take a shot at this one. It’s a snake plant. Try not to kill this one.” Then she left by the front door.

“Your mother is a piece of work. I loved that plant,” stated John. “You know what they call this one? 'Mother-in-law’s tongue’.”

W/C 300





© Copyright 2021 Queen NormaJean Greeneyes (normajeantrent at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2257434-A-New-Plant