*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2258490-Voting
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2258490
Flash Fiction
Voting

“Have you heard the news?”

“No, why?”

“I just wondered about the election.”

“Oh.”

“Oh? You sound like you don’t care who won.”

“I don’t.”

“How can you say that! It’s important! Whoever wins has the power to keep everything going the way it’s going, or change everything, whichever way they feel about it!”

“So you voted for Allen then, right?”

“What makes you say that?”

“Because Allen is trying to hold his seat, and you said ‘Keep everything going’ first. If you had voted for Berks you would have said ‘change things’ first.”

“Not necessarily. That’s pretty observant of you though. Don’t you have an opinion either way?”

“I’m comfortable with the way things are running under Allen, but I thought Berks had some interesting ideas too.”

“We’ll they can’t both be right!”

“Yes they can, and they probably are, they’re just different.”

“That doesn’t make any sense.”

“Well, It’s like going to the store by driving down Crystal Road, or going to the store driving down Tangerland Road. You get to the store either way but the experience is completely different. Some people like driving by the lake, others prefer driving through the woods.”

“That’s the stupidest thing I have ever heard! And what’s worse, now I get it…

“Exactly. They are both right about what they want and what they want to do, they just want things that can’t be done in the same place at the same time.”

“So, who did you vote for?”

“I’m not telling you!”

“But you know who I voted for!”

“And if he wins, you can assume I voted for him too!”

“And if not?

“My philosophy is to always let people think I voted for the winner.”

“Isn’t that cheating?”

“Honey, I can’t be held responsible for what people think…”
© Copyright 2021 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2258490-Voting