*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2258554-Sun-Shower
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Romance/Love · #2258554
A shy guy takes his girl on a picnic and finds romance in the rain.
SUN SHOWER

What a wonderful day for a picnic! Beautiful sunshine, beautiful blue skies, beautiful lady. David did a little two-step to the country song on the car radio as he loaded supplies. Food hamper, blanket, beach ball, wine hamper with bottle, glasses, and corkscrew. There, got it all. Now to go get the lovely Laurine!

He slammed the trunk, danced around to the driver’s seat, hopped in and turned the key. Nothing. Nada. No go. Well, drat! I finally cranked up my nerve to ask Laurine out, and nothing is going to stop this picnic!

He lifted the hood and stared helplessly at the complex jumble of hoses and wires. He wiggled the battery connections, poked random hoses, then tried the key again. Still nothing. He hunted fruitlessly through the owners manual for a few minutes before giving up and calling a taxi.

His nerves were in tatters by the time they pulled up, twenty minutes late, at Laurine’s door. The tatters grew wings and fluttered in his belly when she stepped out, petite and blonde and delightful in shorts and a colorful top. Oh, wow. Just wow!

“Hi, Davy. Where’s your car?”

“Dead, I’m afraid. I’m really sorry but we can’t go to Pristine Lake for our picnic.” She’ll hate me.

“Oh, that doesn’t matter. How about City Park? We can get one of the tables by the pond.” Thank heaven, she doesn’t sound upset.

In the back seat of the cab, she surprised him by sliding close and taking his hand.

“Mmm, Laurine, you s-smell so n-nice!” Oh, dang, I’m stuttering. She’ll think I’m an idiot

“Thank you.” She leaned her head against his shoulder. Okay, she likes idiots. That’s cool. I’m good.


They chatted about books, and programs at the library where they’d met. He thought he was reasonably coherent, and only stuttered twice.

“Hey, you two,” interrupted the cabbie, “we got construction here. I can’t get through to City Park unless I go around half the city. You wanna ride or walk? It’s maybe a half mile.”

They decided to walk. Dave took the food hamper, blanket, and beach ball while Laurine carried the wine basket. They stepped into the pedestrian walkway made of plywood roof and fenced walls. Two blocks in, a construction worker stopped them.

“Hold up, folks, we got equipment coming.” A huge backhoe lumbered up, stopped right in front of them, and began growling and tearing up the road.

“Hey,” David shouted against the noise, “how long will that thing be here?”

“Dunno. Couple hours maybe.”

“Can we get by? We’re going to City Park.”

“Go back a block and head east. Should be open that way.”

But it wasn’t. They picked their way past construction equipment, piles of supplies, and debris, and scurried like mice through the pedestrian tunnels bordering the construction sites. She must think I’m an absolute idiot. I should have planned this better. She’ll never speak to me again.

“David, look—there’s City Park! We made it!” She jumped up and down with excitement, grabbed his hand, and tugged him towards the glimpse of green.

David felt a spark of happiness. Okay, so maybe she will speak to me again.

Once in the park, they found a sunny spot, spread out their blanket, and opened their baskets on a nearby wooden table. As he poured the wine, David nervously eyed some clouds in the distance.

Lunch was wonderful. They sprawled on the blanket and nibbled their snacks and sipped their chardonnay. Laurine managed to make him forget his nerves, got him laughing and chatting and he didn’t stutter at all.

They had packed up the picnic stuff and were tossing the beach ball back and forth when a gust blew it away. The next gust brought a darkening of the sky and a smatter of rain. They grabbed their gear and headed for the gazebo at the other end of the park.

They were halfway there when cold, heavy, wind-driven drops pelted them. I’m dead. She’ll hate me.

“Whoof! That sure came up fast,” laughed Laurine. “We’re soaked.” She began singing an old song, “Splish splash I was taking a bath...”

As quickly as it had come, the rain settled to a gentle drizzle.

“Here, take this.” David shook open the blanket and put it over Laurine’s head and shoulders, rubbing to help dry and warm her.

“Thank you, that’s thoughtful. Hey, there’s room for two. Get in here!” She opened the blanket and pulled him in.

“I’m sorry the picnic turned out so lousy,” he began.

“Don’t be silly. It’s been a lot of fun.” She kissed him on the lips. Wow! Oh, wow!

He didn't notice the rain.
© Copyright 2021 Graywriter (graywriter at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2258554-Sun-Shower