Character Development and Questionnaires
|I have been struggling with this. After spending way too long on it I have decided to move forward and just post what I have. I skipped the last part of Week 1 because it didn't fit into my vision. Again, I can always go back to it later if I wish.
Week 2 Exercise: Character Development and Questionnaires
Copy the questionnaire below for as many characters as you want to fill it out for, and fill it out as described below.
Complete this section for all your important characters, starting with the protagonist. You may want to copy and paste the questions for as many characters as you answer them for, or just add the character's name next to their answers.
Boyd Smith "Smitty"
4. Eye color:
5. Physical appearance:
Tanned, graying mustache and beard; neatly trimmed. Round innocent looking eyes. Built fairly well but not muscular. Stays in shape by running several miles a day. Brown wavy hair cut short on the sides and long on top.
6. Strange or unique physical attributes:
7. Favorite clothing style/outfit?
Sunglasses, white Adidas tennis shoes, White dress shirts, and blue jeans with a suit jacket, usually grey or black. Brown belt. Tan cowboy hat. Carries a 9mm Smith and Wesson.
8. Where do they live? What is it like there?
A small village of about 1,000 people. A fictional town located in the North Eastern part of the US. I haven't decided on the name of the town or the state it is located in.
9. Defining gestures/movements (i.e., curling their lip when they speak, always keeping their eyes on the ground, etc.):
Stands with hands clasped behind back or in pockets. Strides quickly with intent when walking.
10. Things about their appearance they would most like to change:
Dislikes his slight wavy hair. Always wanted straight.
11. Speaking style (fast, talkative, monotone, etc.):
Smitty is a man of few words. He only speaks when he has something to say. He isn't a big conversationalist. He is more of an introvert because he is always thinking. He speaks in a moderate speed with a slight Irish accent. He has lost most of his Irish accent over the years but there is still a slight hint of it.
12. Pet peeves:
People who are cruel to animals.
13. Fondest memory:
Drinking beer and working. On the rare occasion he isn't working he might bar-b-que in the back yard.
15. Special skills/abilities:
Smitty is good at reading people. The first time he meets someone he can pretty well size them up. He can tell when someone is lying.
His favorite snack is almonds. He always carries a small bag of unsalted shelled almonds.
18. Temperament (easy-going, easily angered, etc.):
Serious but charming.
19. Negative traits:
20. Things that upset them:
21. Things that embarrass them:
22. This character is highly opinionated about:
23. Any phobias?
Elevators. Always takes the stairs. Part of the phobia is caused by claustrophobia.
24. Things that make them happy:
25. Family (describe):
26. Deepest, darkest secret:
Something he witnessed when he was a younger that he has never revealed to anyone. Still thinking on this one.
27. Reason they kept this secret for so long:
28. Other people's opinions of this character (What do people like about this character? What do they dislike about this character?)
29. Favorite bands/songs/type of music:
Favorite music is Jazz and Blues. Sometimes Classical.
30. Favorite movies:
31. Favorite TV shows:
32. Favorite books and magazines:
Shooting Illustrated magazine.
33. Favorite foods:
34. Favorite sports/sports teams:
35. Political views:
36. Religion/philosophy of life:
Not Religious even though he does believe in a heaven and hell as well as God.
37. Physical health:
38. Dream vacation:
39. Description of their home:
40. Description of where they sleep:
41. Any pets?
Prairie dog. Male. How did he get this pet?
42. Best thing that has ever happened to this character:
43. Worst thing that has ever happened to this character:
His wife left him and took his son.
45. Three words to describe this character:
46. If a song played every time this character walked into the room, what song would it be?