*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2258908-What-Goes-Around
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2258908
Flash Fiction
What goes Around

“And it splattered all over Ted!” Alex said laughing. Then, “Why aren’t you laughing?”

“I don’t think it’s funny,” said Susan.

“Of course it’s funny! Ted’s a jerk! Anything bad that happens to Ted’s funny.”

“That’s not true.”

“Yes, if he broke his leg, not funny, spatters, funny.”

“Well, what if it happened to you?”

“It did, last week. OH! I get it now! I can’t believe it.”

“What?”

“You have a crush on Ted!”

“I do not!”

“The color of your face proves you’re lying. You couldn’t be more flustered! You have a crush on Dead-head Ted! I thought you had some brains!”

“I guess they fell out.”

“Well, I can’t say I’m sorry.”

“What? Why not?”

“You’ve always been my smarter older sister, so I was a little leery of telling you who I invited to the dance...”

“No!”

“Yes, Alice Green.”

“How could you! She has the brains of a squash plant!”

“And the cutest smile in seventh grade...”

“But...”

“Ah... Ted Ramsey?”

“How about a deal? We keep our opinions about who the other one dates until we get old enough to get married. Then we are allowed to have a say.”

“Deal!”

Eight years later: “Susan, are you seriously going through with marrying Ted now?”

“Alex!”

“Hey,” he said, holding up her left hand wearing the sparkling diamond ring, “I have permission to speak now! Remember?”

“I do, go ahead, get it out of your system. I knew you didn’t like him.”

“That’s true, I didn’t like him. I thought he was a jerk, and he was a jerk, then. But, he cleaned up his act pretty well.”

“Thanks! Who did you decide to bring to the wedding?”

“Alice Green.”

“You’re kidding...”

“You better hold your tongue girl, Alice and I are not engaged... yet...”
© Copyright 2021 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2258908-What-Goes-Around