*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2259256-The-Girl-Who-Wanted-Dragons
by SaMa
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #2259256
In a time unlike our own, Arianna is a Princess among a land newly inhabited by dragons.
         As the brightest of light refracted through the large stained-glass windows of the Northern Observatory, Arianna tip-toed gently along the edge of sunshine, careful not to fall fully into darkness or colored light. The chess board style flooring and tall, voluminous walls created a space which amplified the subtle tread of her ballet-shoed feet as she bounced along the shadow’s edges. The hard-toed shoes were a gift from her father.
         "Oof." she grunted gently as she landed abruptly on her hind end. Once again, she had fallen.
         "Drat," she muttered, placing some of her toes against her heel and kicking one shoe and then the next off and across the slippery tiles. She sighed, pushing her hands into the coldness of the floor, and righted herself, brushing off the cream-colored sundress interspersed with patches of hand-sewn lace. Her bare feet made a different sound, sending padded echoes into the ceiling without any hesitation. The subtle slap gave her immense amounts of joy as she crossed the floor to look out the large green colored window along the bottom of the glass wall.
         The Kastle of Krown loomed high above one of the many craggy precipices of the Undorn Canyon. Against the glass and looking down, Arianna could see the long, stone walls of the Kastle she called home reach down into the sand-colored ground, the edges of the tremendous structure not far from the edges of the canyon. Off to her right, she could see the green of the Public Courtyard, the many fruit trees and spans of meadow reaching desperately towards the Sun. After that, a severe drop off to more ceaseless canyon, leaving Kastle of Krown open to air on all sides, held up only by the precarious rock island beneath it.
Until recently, most would travel to and from this place by hot air balloon. The zeppelins would carry scores of people across the sky to dine with her father and mother, King Bernard and Queen Antiqua. They ruled for the people of the Valley of the Krown found deep within the many caverns of the canyon's rock faces. Arianna’s mother and father loved the people of Krown. They did all they could to provide for the many families living below them.
         But then, the dragons came.
         Slowly at first, a sighting here and there. Long, leathery snake-like creatures exposing themselves amongst the clouds. The people that talked of such things were thought to be crazy at first, until the Day of Reveal. No one could explain what it was about that day that started it all. Ordinary as most were, Arianna had begun that particular morning two years previously, at the age of sixteen, in the courtyard, learning the importance of a saddle for a horse and how to ride as a lady would. She had been bored beyond belief. Eager to mount the horse and ride it off into the depths of the trees, losing herself in a place outside the Kastle’s walls.
         Her instructor had been talking aimlessly of buckles and loops when her gaze drifted up towards the sky. The clouds hung lazily about, letting their white puffed bodies stroll merrily through the distant rays of the Sun. She closed her eyes for an instant, breathing in deeply with her face turned upwards, letting the Sun’s warmth caress the pale skin of her cheeks. In an instant there was darkness, she frowned as her eyes snapped open and came to rest on the underside of some enormous, flying… thing! Was it a new aircraft developed for travel to their Kastle?
         With that thought, more scaled, flying bodies emerged from amongst the many clouds. Yes! Scales! Glittering in the bright morning Sun, as many colors as a young Princess could even imagine. There were hundreds of them, reptilian creatures propelled by wings similar to that of a bat. The translucent skin letting light penetrate gently through the membranes as they flapped vigorously against the air currents high in the sky. Memorizing.
         Arianna could not look away from the most glamorous sight she had ever seen in her young life. She could hear distant screams and a harsh gasp from her instructor, but she knew no one that day was able to look away from the history unfolding before them. As the Weyr flew above them, the darkest colored dragon of the hoard opened its massive maw and let out a screech that sent the horses running for cover, the flaps of their wings creating thunderous wind about the green meadows as if a storm was about to break. The moment was crystal clear in her mind. Every interval etched precisely from start to finish. For as quickly as the dragons came that day, they had vanished into the other end of the sky.
         With her forehead resting against the coolness of the stained glass, she heaved a sigh. She had heard many stories since then, stories of Dragons coming to interact with humans, stories of their kindness. Her friend from the caverns below had visited recently and told her of the great blue Dragon that had come to her father’s aid when his leg had been crushed by a rock while working along the cliffside. Dana was a younger girl, only twelve now, and Arianna still remembered the look of awe in her eyes as she told the miraculous story. The way Dana waved her hands excitedly as she described the Dragon’s glittering scales as it picked the large rock off of her father’s limb, releasing him from a certain death. Incredible. Arianna had to know more.
         “You are a princess,” was all her father had said when she asked about the Dragon’s. And that was that. Those large, scaly, shiny creatures flying about the sky were no business of hers as far as the King of Krown was concerned.
         She stared off past the edges of the Kastle, past the edges of their rock island and looked to the sky. If only she could just see a glittering form once more, maybe she would be satisfied enough, and her obsession would diminish. She could move on with the business of Princess’. Alas, she knew that could never be the way. She was beyond fixated with their existence, but she saw no way around her inevitable future.
         She heard the door to the Northern Observatory creak open and close gently. She remained with her head against the window, letting out another weary sigh.
         “Your father won’t be happy to see what you’ve done with your gift.”
         Arianna scoffed. It was Hilda, the seneschal of the Kastle. She wore her usual grey colored dress with sleeves to the wrist and white apron placed neatly over top. She stood next to the wooden door with her hands clasped neatly in front of her.
         “It’s time, Arianna.”
          Arianna had resisted the urge to think of the night ahead of her. Most of the Kastle was joyous, hoping that she would meet her future husband tonight, her future King. Her stomach turned at the thought.
          “We will have to redress you, seeing as you’ve ruined your dress. I left you with your chaplet also, did I not?”
          Arianna couldn’t help it any longer. Her eyes began to fill with tears, she turned to Hilda and ran into her arms, gripping at the woman’s full body. She buried her face in the familiar white apron and sobbed, letting the anxious anticipation fall out into the open.
         “Oh, my sweet girl, you know the way of things,” Hilda said gently, petting Arianna’s hair, a shade as dark as night. They stood there for some time, Arianna letting herself wonder what life might be like outside this horrid Kastle, Hilda wishing a different future for a girl she cared so much for.
          “Come now, we mustn’t keep your father waiting.”
          Arianna let Hilda take her by the hand and pull her to her bed chambers, leaving the crumbed ballet shoes in a heap against the stained colored glass.

         Before Arianna had a moment to process it all, there he was. A boy about her age, standing behind his own father dressed in full regalia. Arthur stood at attention as their fathers spoke loudly, their voices bouncing harshly off the walls of the Great Hall. Arianna stood back, leaning against the grand doorway, unwilling to step inside and set the night into motion.
         “Arianna, come now.”
         She was always being called in just that way. Hesitantly, she entered the room and proceeded to stand before the boy named Arthur, Prince of Aldera. His future castle lay far off against the coast, surrounded by ocean. Although she hated to lose the familiarity of home, the idea of escaping to a new place was somewhat enlightening. She attempted to plaster a genuine smile across her face. Maybe she could do this.
         “Hello, Arthur,” she curtsied as was proper.
         The boy looked from her to his father, awaiting further instruction.
         “You may speak, Arthur,” his father pushed.
         He murmured a subtle salutation and continued to stand as a statue. She was immediately distraught. This was utter nonsense! How did rules such as this even exist? She no longer had control over her actions as hot anger bubbled up from within her.
“The two of you may sit.”
         Arianna wasn’t sure who had spoken the command. She was clenching and unclenching her small fists, attempting to take deep breaths. Her eyes were closed as she tried to calm her outrage.
         “Arianna?” Her father said, sharpness in his tone.
         She turned to look at them again, now sitting across from each other, backs straight, eyes narrowed at her, waiting for her to take her place next to Arthur.
         She knew then that she couldn’t do it and with that thought, she took off running.
         “Arianna!” she heard her father yell, but she couldn’t stop herself. She turned the corner and raced down the center hallway of the place she called Home. She skidded herself to a stop at the door furthest down the hallway, and abruptly pushed her way into the kitchen. The staff inside stopped immediately to look up at the interruption. Once they saw her, she saw frowns everywhere.
“Arianna…” they all started, but she was gone again. Racing down the edge of the kitchen towards the large wooden door to the rear. With one last push, she was outside in the cool fresh air, letting her small feet take her as far away as she could, running towards the Public Courtyard and the beautiful plant life beyond. She could hide there for some time. Maybe until her family forgot all about her.
She kept running, until the air in her lungs felt like fire in her chest and ice in her mouth, until she could no longer take it. She fell against a tree as she neared the edge of the Orchard, letting the coolness of the air revitalize her. She gulped in oxygen, attempting to settle the pain in her heart space.
         “Damn him!” she yelled, crumpling against the ground and letting the sobs come forth for the second time that day.
         That was when she heard it. It was only the snap of a twig in the distance, but something about it made the hair stand up on every surface of her body. The air changed suddenly, turning warm and humid, creating a cloud of moisture around her body. And the smell! How horrible. She gagged slightly before pushing herself closer to the tree of pears and peering around the skinny trunk.
Her mouth opened but no sound came out. She was incapable of producing any noise. Lying there before her, settled in the long grass, was a great black Dragon. Its glittering scales created light against the reflection of the moon, and she became mesmerized by the beauty as she had before, those many months ago. The Dragon’s eyes were molten lava, blinking curiously at her as it lifted its head slightly and cocked it to one side, studying her as she studied it. With that, any fear she might have had disappeared, and she pushed herself off the tree and out into the opening, exposing herself to… what, exactly? Certain death?
         She no longer had control over her body, as her hand stretched out and she started to walk towards the smooth, acicular nose that lay closest to her. The nostrils flared slightly, and she was hit with another breath of hot air as the Dragon snorted but did not move. Her brain kept telling her to run, but her heart led her forward fearlessly and soon she was so close, she could see the whites of the Dragon’s eyes. Large lids shuttered effortlessly over the gigantic globes as the Dragon blinked at her.
She hesitated then, her left arm extended, her right hand placed on the opposite elbow to keep her steadied. Cold sweat fell in rivulets down her spine and her heart hammered distress through her ribs. This was crazy, she should run. She thought then of her father. He still loved her dearly, he would be lost without his little girl, she should go back to the safety of her home and her future. She turned her head then to look back, but in that instant the Dragon moved its large body forward, forcing his large, pointed muzzle into her tiny, outstretched fingers.
         The instant skin and scales touched; she was overwhelmed by it all. She couldn’t quite describe what it all was, but it flooded every inch of her. Emotion, maybe? The feelings of Dragons! Happiness and sadness and everything in between. But most profoundly, was loneliness. She was unable to pull away, the Dragon nuzzling further into her hand, letting the loneliness fall away in the presence of each other. It was soon replaced by immense joy, and Arianna found herself smiling greatly, the love for this creature pouring directly into her heart. She was filled by it all, letting the hope creep up from her toes. This is surely what destiny felt like.
          Would you like to touch the sky?
          The voice tickled her consciousness ever so slightly, like a leaf skimming the water’s edge of her mind. She looked directly into the eyes of melted rock and nodded forcefully. The Dragon flattened himself to the crisp earth, unfurling a large, diaphanous wing, inviting her to climb aboard. She stumbled her way along the hardened scales, finally falling against the many pearly spines spanning the Dragon’s length. She looked up at the starry night sky, unaware if this was all just a dream. The Dragon turned one mighty, red eye towards her.
          Hold tight.
         She gripped the closest spine and braced herself against the scales beneath her bottom and with that the Dragon pushed off effortlessly, propelling them up and up and up into the sky's mixture of darkness and light. The wind battered her hair and forced her eyes closed as they ascended further into space but in seconds there was only quiet. When she opened her eyes again, the beauty of the world passed quickly underneath her and the stars above were closer than ever before. She laughed as she placed a hand on her chest, letting love pour forth from her insides.
         For the first time in all her life, she was free.

© Copyright 2021 SaMa (sammer421 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2259256-The-Girl-Who-Wanted-Dragons