*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2259283-Shirley-Homes
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2259283
Flash Fiction
Shirley Homes

“Dad! Dad! I solved the mystery!” David yelled racing into the door.

“What mystery?” Dad asked, intrigued by his eight year old’s latest project.

“I noticed we always have a flies and bees and bugs near one edge of the garage. I wondered why they liked that edge so much. There isn’t even a garden there! So I thought I’d spy on them, see what they do, figure it out!”

“Like a detective?” asked Dad.

“Yes! Like Shirley Homes!”

“Sherlock.”

“Really? That’s a funny name...”

“They had a lot of funny names in the old days.”

“Huh. Anyway, I went out real early, to spy on them.”

“Like what time?”

“Like when Captain Big Boots came on!”

“Oh, so about eight thirty!”

“I don’t really like Captain Big Boots, but Jenna does.”

“Oh.”

“Anyway, there they were! Bugs and bees and flies and even a squirrel this time!”

“And you figured out why they go there?”

“Yes! They’re meeting there.”

“Meeting?”

“Yes! I think the squirrel is the boss and he tells the insects what to do and they meet up sometimes to find out what to do. Squirrels can be real pushy!”

“So, do we need to do anything?”

“I don’t think so. They’re not bothering us, are they?”

“No.”

“So, we let them meet there, unless they find a better place?”

“Fine with me.”

Later: “Honey,” David’s dad said to his wife, “I think we have to find a new place to bury the garbage.”

“Is it starting to smell?”

“I think so, but just barely according to David.”

“David?”

“Well, David’s latest investigation, which involves bugs, and a squirrel.”

“Good enough for me! That boy’s gonna be something when he grows up! I don’t know exactly what, but something!”

“I know exactly what you mean,” laughed Dad.
© Copyright 2021 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2259283-Shirley-Homes