*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2259885-2021-Oct-9-Protagonist-Background-Story
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Rojodi
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Fantasy · #2259885
A brief moment in the time of Sebastian Petitjean
Sebastian sat on the Barracuda’s hood and looked skyward. The air was cloudless, and the stars were visible. If something poetic could have been said, he did not know it was. His attention was elsewhere, and that reason was specifically on the young woman walking towards him, her shape illuminated by the car’s headlights. He saw her curves, witnessed her hips sway left to right, the back again. On the breeze came the familiar fragrance, a mix of citrus and floral notes that she knew would drive her empathic boyfriend to distraction.

“Good evening, Sasza,” she whispered to him. He slipped off the hood and into her arms. He met her cheek with his lips.

Her skin was warm and soft. He inhaled deeply, loved how she smelled her again. He closed his eyes and thought of nothing more than to be with her for the rest of their lives.

“You’re beautiful,” he whispered. “I love you.”

She leaned into his body and sighed. He wrapped his arms around her; she thought safer now than she had ever before. She, too, never wanted this feeling to end.

“Ready?” he asked. There was a hesitation before she answered. She needed to be sure, she wanted to know to herself if they were meant for each other. She nodded imperceptibly before she squeezed out a yes.

He took her hand, took her to the passenger’s side, opened the door, and helped her in. He rushed to the driver’s side so he could take them away.

He awoke with a start, falling out of bed and crashing to the floor. It took the college athlete a little time to regain his senses, but when he did, he wished he were still asleep. Just for a minute or two minutes more with Melissa.

It has been a year since she broke his heart; the letter, though burned, was still in his mind. “I met someone else.” Four words that caused his world to crash to a stop, made him question the powers he had. He was an Empathy Manipulator, could read a person’s feelings and in most cases take away their pain, both emotional and physical. That is why his heartbreak was so great. He could not read her emotions.

He grabbed for his glasses, pushed himself off the floor, and walked to the kitchen. He needed caffeine, preferably in the form of Dr. Pepper, to become alive. He opened the refrigerator door and grabbed a cold can. Before the door closed, a great emotional pain pushed him down onto his knees. He had never felt this before, never saw the images that played in his head like a bad movie. Tears flowed down his cheeks as her pain became his.

“Oh, dear Lord,” he whispered and struggled to get to his feet. He stumbled and slowly walked to the apartment stairs. The doorbell rang, the sound echoed in his brain like the bells of Notre Dame. He ignored the headache and called out for her by name to enter.

“How did you know it was me?” the titian-haired beauty asked. Then she remembered his gift. “You know why I’m here, Sasza.” She closed the gap between them quickly and took him into her arms.

“I need you,” Melissa whispered. “I need you to take this away from me.”

“I’ll do it,” he assured her. “I will do it, but I wish you were honest with me.”

She looked at her feet, the words escaping. She knew he was right, knew that she could have been honest with her and not lie. But she felt it was best for that she lied.

Sebastian kissed her forehead and led her back up into the small apartment. “I can make it go away,” he promised her.

But with what he saw, could he remove that pain from his psyche?
© Copyright 2021 Rojodi (rojodi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2259885-2021-Oct-9-Protagonist-Background-Story