*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2260563-I-Saw-The-Hit-And-Run-Driver
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Crime/Gangster · #2260563
A teenage girl is killed in a hit and run.
I Saw The Hit And Run Driver

By Shadowgate
……………………………………………………….
Jessica Paine and Melanie Winters were both in tenth grade and lived in the same neighborhood. It was 8PM and they were chatting in the street.

Jessica said "I have to get home now."

Melanie replied "I'll talk to you in algebra class tomorrow."

Jessica began walking home. She was three houses away from her house when a car came speeding from behind her. She got hit and went flying in the air. When she landed she hit her on the curb.

The car sped off leaving Melanie petrified and she yelled "holy fucking shit!"

She called 911 on her cellphone and several neighbors rushed out of their houses to see what happened.

Melanie's parents Jade and Parker came charging out their front door and Parker yelled “what the fuck happened?”

Melanie yelled “a fucking lunatic ran over Jessica” and right after that her mother Jade grabbed her in a strong embrace. An ambulance was there 20 minutes after Parker called 911.

30 minutes later a police car with blaring sirens pulled up and Officer Daniel Land exited his car. He spoke with the paramedics who said it was a hit and run.

After Officer Land spoke to the paramedics he spoke with Melanie. She gave him her full name and address and introduced her parents. She said the hit and run driver was in a yellow car and the driver was female, blond and either white or Hispanic because she had fairly tanned skin. When asked if she saw the license plate she said she didn’t because the car went too fast.

After Officer Land asked basic questions Melanie asked if she could ride in the ambulance but both her parents insisted on driving her to the hospital.

Melanie got in the back seat of her parents’ car and they followed the ambulance to the hospital. Melanie and her mother cried the whole way as Parker drove carefully even though he was shaken up.

Melanie and her parents sat in the hospital’s waiting room with Officer Land waiting to hear of Jessica Paine’s condition.

When Jessica Paine's mother Alice arrived she saw the Winters Family whom she’d known for years and Officer Land introduced himself before explaining the bad news. Tears ran down her face and she said "oh God my baby, someone ran over my baby!”

Tears began flowing down Alice’s face but Officer Land went on to tell her “here’s the good news, your daughter’s best friend Melanie Winters saw the hit and run driver.”

Alice snapped "oh really" and gave Melanie a dirty look which surprised Officer Land.

Doctor Peter Callahan, the ER doctor on call came out and met Alice Paine and sadly told everyone Jessica Paine was dead. Alice Paine ran away crying.

Right after that Officer Land asked Melanie if there was anything else she could remember.

Melanie choked up and said "well” and Jade interrupted "all these gang members need to be picked up off the street and put away. The gang activity in this area has gotten way out of hand and now Jessica Paine is gone because of those lowlife fucking bastards!"

Parker pointed out "Melanie saw the driver and the driver was either white or Hispanic and female. Here you are talking about gang members which are mostly black or Hispanic and male. Again there was only one driver and the bitch was probably drunk.”

Officer Land said "alright now I need to talk to your daughter without interruptions.”

Melanie shouted out of the blue "the driver was Alice Paine. My best friend was murdered by her own mother.”

Both her parents and Officer Land freaked out but then Officer Land said "you're not joking because you're distraught or angry at her for some reason. Why didn't you tell me right away at the scene of the crime if what you're saying is true?"

Melanie said "I didn't want to believe it but I saw her do it. She has a yellow car. The moment she found out I gave you a description of the driver she gave me a dirty look and snapped at me."

Officer Land then said confidently “that makes sense and I caught that dirty look she gave you and she said ‘oh really” to you like she didn’t want you talking at all.”


Jade screamed “Melanie that’s not the description you gave earlier.”

Melanie assured her mother "well look at Alice Paine she has blond hair and recently got tanned skin. Plus lots of Mexican women are dying their hair blond. So my description wasn't totally far off."

Parker pointed out "Melanie’s description fits. I also doubt our daughter would blame her best friend’s mother for a this horrible crime if she was innocent.”

Officer Land said "that's it I'm taking her into custody."

Jade yelled “wait, wait now our daughter said that a car full of Hispanic gang members ran over her best friend.”

“Mrs. Winters your daughter never said that. She said all along the driver was female, in a yellow car and now she’s sure she saw her mother do it. The shock of it all made her not want to believe it.”

Jade became furious and yelled “wait that doesn’t make sense to me! Melanie now you said the driver was Hispanic."

Melanie pointed out “in the flash of the moment she looked tan, some Hispanic women have blond hair.”

Parker pointed out “yes and also you pointed out Alice just got a tan.”

Melanie yelled “right it was her I saw her do it and we know Alice has a yellow car. My word has been consistent.”

Jade screamed "Melanie you’re not minding me."

Officer Land yelled back “your daughter has done nothing wrong.”

When Alice Paine came back from washing up in the restroom Officer Land asked her “Mrs. Paine do you own a yellow vehicle and if yes where were you this evening?

Alice looked at Officer Land with anger and refused to answer her question so he told her “I’m placing you under arrest on suspicion of murder.”

After Officer Land left with Alice in handcuffs Jade turned to her daughter and yelled “what the fuck was that all about? Your statements to that police officer made no sense. You shouldn’t just assume someone is guilty.”

Parker yelled “our daughter didn’t assume anything. She saw Alice Paine murder her own daughter. Goo only knows what the fucking motive was.”

Jade yelled at Parker “forget about who’s Goddamn motive is whatever Goddamn motive I want a Goddamn divorce. I’m tired of being married to a jackass.”

Parker yelled “that’s fine because I’m tired of being married to a fucking psycho bitch.”

Jade told Parker he could have full custody and that she was leaving town. She stormed out of the hospital in full rage.

Later that night Alice Paine confessed to running over her daughter. She said she did it because she was angry her daughter got an office referral for a dress code violation.
The next day in algebra class the whole class looked at an empty seat. Melanie Winters broke down screaming “my best friend’s mother is the killer and I had to turn her in and right after that my parents decided on a fucking divorce.”

She screamed so loud at least half the school heard her.

THE END

© Copyright 2021 mattdeath (mcv3909 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2260563-I-Saw-The-Hit-And-Run-Driver