*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2261060-Heck-Supporter-Extended-Excerpt
Rated: 13+ · Sample · Sci-fi · #2261060
In a world of boundless possibilities, Colin is haunted by an apparition from his past.
Preliminary author's note: This is an extended excerpt of a novella I started on in September of 2020. Principal writing was concluded in September of 2021. I am currently in the corrections-phase and am thinking about publishing the product somewhere. The current rough-draft is about 101 pages long and just shy of 25.000 words. This excerpt amounts to roughly between a sixth and a fifth of the entire novella. Before reading, note that this is an early version. Minor changes may still occur and it might be a bit rough around the edges here and there. But it is part of a concluded and cohesive structure. The intention was to blend genres and to draw the reader into the direct view of its protagonist. Zeroing in, if you will. The mystery unravels right in front of us, impenetrable and oblique at first, but opening up ever so slightly. Heck Supporter, like many stories these days, was very much inspired by everyday occurences. It is very much a product of its time and as such it is intended to be viewed. With that said, dear reader, I hope you enjoy yourself. If you like what you see and would like to read more, I'd be delighted to hear your thoughts.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Heck Supporter


It’s only one blink away. Discover a world of boundless possibilities. Be the director of your own adventure. It’s up to you.

I knew I should have gotten the premium package. No damn ad-breaks and way smoother cortical stimulation - none of the irritating chaffing that tends to set in after hours of intense use. But, what can you do? It would’ve cost a small fortune. Some people are taking up a mortgage to be able to make their experience as sweet as possible. I can make do with what I have. Besides, those ads give me time to make up my mind. So, what shall it be tonight?

I could meet Dave and Chandra in the flowing Fields of Cascadia. We could kick back, watch the amber waves gently sway in the evening sky, maybe have a cold one or two. Oh, wait, they’re celebrating their fifth anniversary today, I almost forgot. So I can scrap that. Ha, I still remember days when Dave was swingin’ solo. Every day at 7 sharp, we’d zone in and hit Rutherford’s. Fun times. Granted, it was tough getting the hang of what some of the drinks were supposed to taste like in the beginning. The taste-bud stimulation feature was still in its infancy - it takes time to refine technology catering to such a complex and nuanced perceptive process. But soon enough gin tasted like gin. And the day he met Chandra I will never forget. She’s got to be the only person I know that hits bars solely to play Buzzkill. And beyond that, she was one heck of a player. Many a poor sucker got taken in by her precise shots. She’d have the beams zig-zag all over the goddamn board and head straight to the finish line. Her opponents had lost before they even registered what had just happened, her moves were that fast.

Dave took a liking to her pizzazz, I could tell. And in the spirit of sportsmanship, he was down for a challenge. He would train like a madman, I was there by his side, every step of the way. I’ve never seen anyone put this much time and energy into learning the ins and outs of Buzzkill. It got downright comical at times. But Dave never was a quitter, everything he did, he did with conviction and if he had his mark, he’d give it his all. There is an intensity to the things a man like Dave does for love that is certainly awe-inspiring, if not a bit frightening at times. The man I saw before me in this period we would later refer to as “the preparation” was a man driven by determination in the face of a lofty dream. And so he honed his skills, until he went from a casual bar patron to a slick shot who knew his way around the board. Once he felt up to the task, he went up to her to challenge her to a match. She wound up beating him 54 – 41. But apparently this challenger that came out of nowhere and put up a decent fight impressed her enough to get in touch with him. Later she would say a simple “hi” would’ve done just fine.

And now it’s been five years. He recently proposed to her and she said yes. They had their ups and downs for sure. There were times when Chandra’s avatar would glitch or zone out entirely during very special moments, as Dave confessed to me with great frustration. Unbeknownst to him, I had a little eye-to-eye with her about that. I told her that if she’s serious about this relationship, she should consider upgrading her subscription. Initially, my suggestion was met with some resistance, but she soon realized that sporadic framerate issues and unexpected downtimes can seriously jeopardize a relationship. She’s a gamer after all, she knows her stakes. All came up aces in the end.

To have such an enduring relationship, now ain’t that something? Maybe one day a dear face will catch my attention. Or maybe one already has. Now I’m drifting. Talk about lofty dreams. So, what shall it be tonight? The movies? A little walk along waterfront and then some good old R and R with the smooth tunes of the latest Sense Wave sensation Silent Spin? No, I got it. I think I’ll hit the spa tonight. A nice massage would be great. And there is this new feature that “makes your dreams come true” – a certain extra courtesy of AlluSoft Sensory Technologies. Millions of happy customers can’t be wrong.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Mall promenade is abundant with chatter. Chandra takes a sip of her Ristretto. She looks at Dave, then looks at me and starts to talk. “We’ve been thinking. You know, with things entering a serious phase and all, we want to plan things through.” Dave inserts himself into the conversation: “Yeah, we’re taking it one step further now. Still can’t believe we got here, wow. Sorry, I’m digressing. What we’re trying to say is, we’ve had talks about the proper way to officiate our marriage.” Chandra regains the narrative: “Exactly. And we thought, since you’ve been there at zero hour, we’d like to hear your opinion on something that’s been on our minds for days now.”

I put down my cup of highly concentrated Tripplecino and look at both of them. “I’d be honored to. I’m all ears.” Chandra continues: “Well, we’re not certain if we should just go through with it while we’re zoned in, or if we should take a shot at having an official ceremony whilst zoned out.”. Dave ad-hocs his way into the picture. “I know, it may seem terribly nostalgic and sappy, but we’re in for a penny, in for a pound now. So we thought an analogous ceremony would be a nice gesture. We are very aware of the possible complications though.”. Chandra chimes in again. “Oh yes, we are.” Dave chuckles. “She would have you know. I guess she has much more of a no nonsense-approach to the whole thing. But neither of us is certain about this.”

I take a moment to reflect, then turn towards Dave. “She is a wise person, Dave. I understand the notion full well. You two have been through thick and thin. And I am no stranger to nostalgic rituals. But what about the logistics of such an endeavor? You’d have to look for a fitting location. They’re hard to come by. And then you’d have to shill out a shit-ton of Credits to even get there. I know, such odds haven’t discouraged you in the past. But what about your family and friends? Can they come too? I’m sure Norman would love to. But you know as well as everyone else that he’s grown quite frail in his old days. He can’t take on that journey.”

Chandra turns towards Dave. “That’s what I’ve been worried about. It’s a bit too much of a hassle. We can have the loveliest ceremony with all of our loved ones at the Cascadian Fields. We can even turn the sky purple and blue in honor of Chaz Renslow.”

Dave smiles. “He was one hell of a player. I guess you’re right. It is much less of a chore.”

I finish my Tripplecino and direct my attention to Dave. “I’d be glad to hook Norman up with a Hexa-Porter and a trial-subscription. We’ll withdraw from renewing it after a month. It’s on me, pal. My man is getting married, look at you.”

His smile turns into a big, cheeky grin. “Yeah, right!? It’s so unreal, man. I’m stoked beyond words.”
Dave looks at our cups. “I see that you’re all empty. How about I treat you two to another round in celebration of what’s to come? Same as always?”

Chandra nods. I concur and thank him. Dave gets up and joins the line in front of the counter.

“Thank you.”, Chandra whispers in my direction

“Huh?”

“Thank you for convincing him. I was a bit worried about him as of late, to be honest. You know how involved he gets in things. He could use a little weight off his shoulders, I feel like he’s become quite restless.”

“Can’t say I’m surprised, that’s Dave for ya. But glad I was of service.”

“Yeah, I guess in a sense he’s always been that way. In for a penny, in … you know the drill. Don’t think I’ve ever seen him zone out.”. She starts to smile, then regains her serious tone. “But lately, he’s just a bit beside himself. It’s as if relaxation doesn’t exist in his vocabulary.”

“Oh, believe me, if you told him relaxation was a difficult task to master, he’d divert all of his energy into not using up any energy.”

Chandra bursts out into laughter. “Yeah, that sounds like him.”

“But seriously, I’ve known him to chill from time to time. It’s probably just the high stakes that get to him. You know a thing or two about stakes I’ve heard.”

She fakes a disapproving facial expression, only thinly masquerading a broad smile she’s trying to hold back. “Who told you so? Frankly, I feel insulted, Mister!”

Chandra turns around to see what Dave is up to. “Do you think he knows we’re talking about him?”

“I think he has a hunch.”.

I throw a glance at Dave as well, then divert my gaze to the giant wall clock at the Northern end of the mall promenade. It’s 8:05. I need to zone out to water my neighbor’s plants soon. As I’m about to lock eyes with Chandra again, I freeze.

It’s her again. She’s standing next to a column just below the clock. About 5’8”, a brunette in a denim jacket, black pants and hobnail boots. What is the cause of your sudden appearances? Am I imagining things?

She throws a glance in my direction as crowds of people pass her by. Her eyes are piercing through the lively scenery, zig-zag around Chandra and focus on my person. Just for a second our eyes meet amidst the hectic bustle of the mall. Now it seems like she has realized I have taken notice of her and turns to walk away. And so the spiel continues.

“Earth to Colin. Do you read me? Glitching out?”

“Wha-?”

Chandra turns around to look towards the clock. “Or is there something that caught your attention?”

“Oh, I’m sorry, I’m feeling a bit light-headed today. Must be the strain they always talk about in the complaint-section.”

“Are you okay?”

“Yeah, don’t worry. Just a little tired is all. I’ll have to zone-out in about 20 minutes anyway. Mr. Morinaga doesn’t trust remotely activated sprinklers. So those Spider Lillies aren’t gonna water themselves.”

“Spider Lillies, huh? How much did he have to shill out for them?”

“I don’t even wanna think about it, to be honest.”
Dave returns with two cups of coffee in his hands.

“Are you not having any?”

“No, I’m buzzed enough as is. Sorry I kept you guys waiting, things got hectic like a Toomian Saturday over there.”

Why did he have to say that?

Chandra glances at him disapprovingly. “Inappropriate, Dave!”

I mirror her earlier notion and utter “Thank you” towards her in my breath.

Dave looks a bit incensed, but then catches himself. “Right. I’m sorry, guys. Lingering traces of the unaccountable educational system of our days, I guess. Old lingo dies hard.”

Chandra puts her hand on his shoulder. “It’s alright, Dave. Just look before you leap sometimes, okay?”

Dave nods and smiles at her. She smiles back at him. “Thanks for the coffee.”

The mall promenade is abundant with chatter that has now intensified.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I once listened to an emission about the musical variations of the late 20th Century that stuck with me. It was quite immersive. There was this one song whose lyrics I hazily remember. Something about a guy stepping outside the building he lives in, because some strange apparition caught his attention. It turns out to be a mere shadow in the end, though he wistfully remarks that it looked like “her”. Or something to that effect.

I came away feeling that this narrator was truly a haunted man. It was beautiful in the most devastating kind of way. What was the name of the song again? I can’t remember.

Maybe I should hum a few lines into the WaveTracker. Think I can muster up a few of the words. It should be a matter of seconds.

Oh, shit. I forgot to renew the subscription. Nevermind, guess it will have to wait until another day.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“So, what did you think of Moonlight Hotel?”, Dave shoots at me before his hand makes a hearty dive for the pile of fries in front of him.

“Beyond words. Someone knows their architecture history. Think Art Deco with a dash of International style. And we’re just talking about the lobby here. There’s an amber-colored stucco-fountain right in the middle of it. 19th Century Central European mezzanine, my friend. And I kid you not, there is a frickin’ spiral staircase leading up to the second floor of the loft suite.”

“I was talking about the amenities. But sure, gush over antiquated optics, don’t let me keep ya from it.”

“It’s not just optics, it’s a –“

“A state of mind. I know. Relax, I’m just joshing ya. Stucco-fountain, huh? Well, someone’s absolutely loaded, I’d say.”

“Yeah, there’s no way one could’ve generated all of that on a regular salary. In virtually no time too. It took me years of monthly fees and a lot of enduring work to be able to complete Aurora Heights. You’d call me a madman then.”

“I still think you are. All that time and effort for a city park with a few benches and some sort of jungle gym. Gotta admit though, the views are beautiful.”

“I’ve recently installed a new feature so it can be viewed in any season you wish. The fall sunsets are to die for. Rooftops glistening in the warm orange glow of a sinking star, the fallen leaves gently swaying in the smooth evening breeze … you know, if you and the Misses need a place to kick back and enjoy a few romantic hours amongst yourselves, be my guest.”

“Wow, Colin, I … are you sure?”
“Very.”

“You know, I was just joking earlier. I know how much this place means to you and that you like to be there alone. We could certainly use some real privacy, it’s hard to come by these days if you don’t happen to own some space in this joint.”

“That’s why I’m offering it to you. Just let me know when you need it. I’ll give you the access codes and a rundown on how to control the mood-settings.”

Dave gets up to give my avatar a big hug. In the process, he clumsily thuds his right knee against the table, sending the pile of fries flying to the ground.

“Well, I guess I’m done eating now.”, he laughs in a slightly embarrassed way.

“Looks like someone generated those tables with a knack for moon physics. That was just a gentle tap, it shouldn’t have come crashing down like that.”

We watch the scattered fries disappear into thin air.

“Well, those were 7 well-spent Credits”

“At least I don’t have to feel bad for just having my gruel tonight.”

“Not getting anything while zoned-in?”

“I’m a bit light this month, but it’s okay, I’ll get by.”

“Why didn’t you say anything? I could’ve wired some Credits to you anytime.”

“I appreciate the notion, but I’m afraid I can’t accept that. The two of you could really use that money considering what lies ahead for you. Plus, if I just cut back on the virtual carbs a bit, I’ll be just fine. Give it two or three weeks and I’ll indulge in a juicy steak again.”

“But just gruel … “
“It provides enough nourishment for my body. My mind will have to practice patience for a little while. I’ll be back to gourmet town soon enough. And who knows, if I water a few more lilies, I might just get into a few more hotels for free. You think there are any plant-loving restaurant owners around my block?”

“As you wish. I know better than to try to force my help upon you. But if you need anything, you know where to go.”

“Thank you. I appreciate it a lot.”

Dave’s face morphs into a thousand-yard-stare for a second, then he turns towards me again.

“I can’t help but think there’s something else on your mind as of late as well.”

I look him squarely in the eyes.

“That so? What makes you think that?”

“Well, you seem a bit … distracted lately. Like you’re not quite there sometimes. Is there something on your mind?”

I subtly shake my head as my eyes start squinting.

“Not that I’m aware of.”

Dave chuckles a bit, but I can tell it is put on.

“Is it a woman?”

I give him nothing.

“Or a man, perhaps?”

I give him nothing.

He inspects my face carefully and stays silent for a few seconds, then resumes his Q sans A.

“I’m guessing the former. Your poker face isn’t what it used to be, you know.”

“There is no one.”

“Hm, guess I’m imagining things then. And there I thought I knew the face of someone who’s in deep.”

“Only shallow waters here, my friend. Sorry to disappoint you.”

“Alright, alright. I’ll stop asking. Never been a fan of charades anyway. If you need a talk though, I’m only one blink away.”

“Aye.”

“But if there was someone -“

“In my deepest dreams perhaps.”

He starts to clutch the side of the table. “So you still dream?”. There’s a hint of trepidation in his voice.

“Yeah, I still dream. Why wouldn’t I?”

“I don’t know. Maybe it’s the extensive use of the Hexa-Porter, but to tell you the truth, I can’t remember the last time I had a dream. Maybe it was a few months ago. Maybe I stopped having any way back when I started zoning in. Who’s to say? It’s become sort of a blur.”

The giant clock says it’s 7:38.

“Well, the cortical stimulators are known to affect REM-sleep temporarily in case of extensive use. Long-term effects are not known at this point though. I’m thinking you’re just a tad stressed out. Maybe you’re just not remembering your dreams. It happens.”

“I guess you’re right.”

“If I didn’t know any better, I’d come away thinking you’re getting cold feet.”

“Me? Never!”

“Don’t worry, buddy. It’s gonna be alright. Guess I shouldn’t tell you, but Chandra’s a bit worried about you. She thinks you should relax a bit, take it easy.”

“Is that so?”

“Yeah, and you know what!? I agree with her. You always had a tendency to get quite heady. And I’ve always appreciated that about you. But it has its downsides, doesn’t it? You lose yourself in a tangled web of worries and doubts. Been there. It’s quite isolating.”

“So what do you suggest I do?”

“Two words: R and R. No, make it four: Aurora Hills.”

“Well, do you think my grown-ass bod will fit onto those swings?”

I smile. “I think we can arrange that.”

She is standing right next to a vending machine in the westernmost corner of the food court, watching us. I’m pretending not to see her.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last night I dreamt I was a decorated Seargent in the 31st Infantry Regiment. I took part in the battle of Capca and returned home wounded and scarred for life.
Upon arrival, I was met by the media and high-ranking politicians. As I ascended the carrier, dozens of journalists tried to ask me questions. Amidst the sea of voices, I could only make out a few sentences. But whenever I tried to answer, there was someone beside me taking their chance to answer those questions for me.

I then got escorted to some sort of podium. I was expected to speak about my experiences. This upset me greatly. I was barely able to string sentences together, but there was always some official “interpreting” for me, twisting my shaky words into heroic drivel about the enduring spirit of our forces and whatnot.

The podium then gave way to my old living room. I was sitting there in the halflight, looking at my collection of insignia. One by one they started to vanish. Then I remember holding on to a pulse-riffle. The sight of this weapon startled me. As I started to inspect the firearm more carefully, I realized that it started to change shape. In the blink of an eye, I was holding on to a Y-shaped steering device.

And soon enough, the whole room started to change. I was no longer sitting in my old living room, I was now amidst a brightly lit office. My body was no longer clothed in army fatigues, I now was wearing a proper tuxedo. And instead of a steering device I was now holding a small screen and a stylus. I had become one of those high-ranking politicians and was expected to sign a policy into existence. Before I was able to put down my initials, I inspected my surroundings. There were several people right next to me – fellow politicians, journalists, ambassadors, interpreters – anxiously waiting for the document to be signed. Wild chatter fills the air. As I turn my head to the window-aisle on the left-hand side, I spot a sole Seargent observing my every move from a few feet away. His fatigues looked like those I used to wear. There was pain in his eyes. I tried to peek out of one of the windows, but there was nothing to see.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chaz Renslow, born in Averytown to Nicolas and Joyce (née Muntargh) Renslow, was a renowned Strayball player, political activist and author. The son of an Averytown Industries engineer and a social worker of Toomian descent (his mixed-heritage would remain unmentioned during the height of his career in professional sports), young Chaz spent his early years in a working class environment. At the age of 6, Renslow attended Averytown Elementary, where he excelled at Physical Education and developed an early fascination for History.

By the age of 17, Renslow had emerged as the most promising new Striker of Bailey Grove High’s Strayball team. Feared for his precise left hooks, it was in no small part due to his contribution that the Manta Rays advanced into the finals and went on to become a household name in Highschool Strayball.

Described by many of his peers and teachers alike as a smart young man with an easygoing, sociable personality and boundless potential, Renslow was however also notorious for his truancy record and a markedly complicated relationship with authority figures – traits that would turn out to have a negative effect on his SAT-score.

It was largely due to his accomplishments with the Manta Rays that he was accepted into Silverdrive College on a sport scholarship. It was there that he caught the attention of Maria Doubardey, then coach of the Chemara City Dustbirds. He was drafted into their main roster only 5 months later.

The fresh face would soon turn into the team’s most valued player, being the first Striker in the game’s history to score 15 counter-strays in only one demi-cycle. During his tenure, the Dustbirds would remain the unbeaten Major League champions. Their first World Finals victory against the Domesburg Marauders was dubbed by the media as the “Wonder in Purple and Blue”.

Five years later, Renslow was drafted into the roster of the Ulton Hills Mechanics, a move that remains divisive amongst his most enduring fans to this day. With Renslow’s help, the Mechanics were able to secure two World Finals victories, before descending in the ranks amongst a flurry of corruption scandals and a mass-exodus of longtime players. Chaz was among the players that left the team in solidarity with the surviving families of the deceased workers involved in the construction of the medially maligned Trophy Court Stadium.

After a yearlong hiatus, Renslow returned to his passion with the Keltona Hammerheads, a now-defunct former mid-tier Major League team. He would remain with them for four years. With Renslow’s star-power at their disposal, the Hammerheads advanced from their position as the perpetual underdog to a dark horse to look out for. Keltona soon gained a reputation as a hard-working and talented if slightly underfunded team that got incredibly close several times. They had become the go-to favorite of Strayball fans fed-up with corporate meddling, in-fighting and dirty upper-management politics. During Renslow’s last season with the Hammerheads, which would turn out to be the final season of his career as a player, the team managed to reach the World Finals, where they were up against the incumbent champions, the Morristown Madballers. They would lose 69-72 in the end but cement their mythical status as the small team that could.

The court of public opinion would soon sway the other direction though when footage of Renslow - by this time an outspoken political activist – at the 3rd of August protests in Chemara City’s Toomian enclave surfaced. A time of great tension, his holding hands with High Counsel Khortell was seen as an affront to the national cause. Amidst a number of influential sponsors dropping out and anti-Toomian sentiments taking hold among the population, Renslow announced his retirement.

Renslow spent the remainder of his life coaching several Minor League teams, including the Bedford Pines Sparrows. He passed away unexpectedly at the age of 51 due to an acute aneurysm. It is now believed that years of cranial injuries may have contributed to his untimely passing. Over time, his legacy seemed to drift into increasing obscurity, until about three years ago, when excerpts of his early personal memoirs emerged. With the country now weary of the exploits of years of enduring skirmishes and political instability, his writing was lauded for its astute observations on everyday life in the face of rising tensions threatening the peaceful co-existence of two ethno-political fractions. Last year, his resurfaced Master Thesis on Toomian representation in popular media and its real-life repercussions was turned into the bestseller “A Long Way From Grodeen Falls”.

Today would have been his 60th birthday. You are listening to “Today In History”. For more information, visit us at our flagship library at Level 5, right next to Overpass 3-F at the Mayburn Concourse.

© Copyright 2021 Finster (definster at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2261060-Heck-Supporter-Extended-Excerpt