*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2261355-A-Single-Drop
by Paul
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2261355
He tries something new with disastrous results.



I didn’t want to go home, Beth was at me again with her constant, “Are you ever going to amount to anything? Where’s your promotion! Be a man, Albert, GROW UP!” I was totally wiped out and hoped a scotch at Ziggy’s might help. While bemoaning my life's miseries to my scotch a woman sat next to me, ordered wine and took a small bottle of red liquid from her purse, placed it on the bar then twirled it slowly with her fingers until I asked, “What’s in it?”

She shrugged and said, “In this drink there are always more ingredients than you’d ever guess.”

I don’t believe you. Whatever’s in it is what’s in it until someone changes it.”

”Ohh, you think? A drop of it will grant one wish”

Staring into its depths at the reflected light I saw color dispersion, like in a diamond, and wondered what she was talking about. ”Right, and all it costs is my soul?”

”No souls, ten dollars.”

”How fast does it work?”

”Immediate.”

”Probably just a high, but what the hell, I don’t give a damn!” … “Okay, one drop.” I paid and she put it in my scotch.

”Make your wish and drink. Wish wisely, it can not be reversed.”

I said, “I wish Beth would disappear,” and tossed it back. Nothing seemed to happen. “What’s wrong?”

”Nothing.” She put the bottle in her purse and left.

Getting home I found Beth’s dress, underwear, and a pile of dinner ingredients on the kitchen floor, a search discovered purse, wallet and keys, but no Beth. Standing, looking at the mess in the kitchen I thought, “‘What the hell, it’s like she just disapp…’

Now I’m sitting in this cell wondering what the hell happened. Beth did disappear and I have no alibi.

© Copyright 2021 Paul (lasardaddy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2261355-A-Single-Drop