*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2261532-Part-2-Lamentations
Rated: 18+ · Serial · Supernatural · #2261532
This world ain't fair, eat you if you let it
Coarse sand stung my cheeks as the fierce wind swept over the dunes, lashing my skin.

I paid no mind to the elements. The beach could have opened up and swallowed me whole, casting my disconsolate form into the earthen depths before burying me alive and still I wouldn't have noticed. My hands tugged at the messy tresses dancing in the salty breeze. Knuckles whitened, scalp throbbing as hair follicles came dangerously close to tearing free from my flesh.

And still, I felt nothing.

"Bell?" Vern asked tentatively, horned brow furrowed with concern. "I - I know it's a bombshell but it's not like it's the end of the..." He paused. "Ah, fuck me." Rubbing a scaly neck, the guardian grimaced.

I stared right through him, ignoring his demonic presence. Why did it all come to this? Why had I been selected for this accursed destiny? Didn't I have wishes of my own? Fragile dreams, tender ambitions of ethereal futures swam before my mind's eye, dashing to pieces against this rocky revelation. Blissful fantasies I couldn't possess, love I'd never attain.

The trembling rage had dissipated, leaving a staggering emptiness in its wake. I lost all willpower to pick myself up from the crumbling dock which mirrored my shattered spirit.

Vern gave up his attempts to bolster my morale. He plopped beside me as I silently watched murky waves crash violently against the shore, curling his leathery wings around my slumped figure as the freezing air shrieked by. Rejecting his small comfort, I shoved the bat-like appendages away and embraced those freezing gales.

"You knew," I muttered. "All my life, while entertaining me with silly games and clever distractions, you knew where it was all headed."

He clasped clawed hands, bowing his head. "Aye. It was never supposed to turn out this way..."

"Bullshit." I snorted, hugging my knees as I stared at seagulls wailing over the horizon.

Vern picked up a rock and chucked it into the ocean. The stone skipped twice before a sudden surge consumed it, dragging the pebble down undulating depths. "It's not like I had a choice, kid. Think you're the only schmuck dangling from puppet strings?"

"I thought you were my friend," I remarked flatly, turning away from him. His lanky figure flinched. Inwardly, I bitterly cheered.

That's right, Vern. You've broken my trust and now I have no intentions of letting you forget it. So much for my partner in crime. My heart ached, recalling a lifetime spent running amuck and terrorizing the neighborhood. Hell, we plotted world domination a few times. Who could have imagined those whimsical plans had a serious undertone?

The lesser fiend rustled his claws, forked tail thumping against the sand. "I know nothin' I can say will change your mind," Vern began.

"Damn straight," I snarled. "So don't bother."

"But," He continued, "One thing I can do is give ya some much needed answers. Well, bring you to a demon who can at least."

I wrapped raven curls around a finger, glaring at the tangle of glossy fibers. "Is that so? And why would I care? I don't exactly have any confidence in you or any of your pals."

"No pal of mine," Vern grunted unhappily. "More like my direct supervisor."

Rolling my eyes, I barked a humorless laugh. "Ha. Let me guess, you answer to the Prince of Lies?"

"Not quite," He shook a pair of twisted prongs, biting his wrinkled lips. "It's a succubus you know quite well. I think it's time we pay a visit to your Aunt Lilith."

I buried my face in my knees and answered in a muffled growl. "As if I'd go anywhere with you. Sounds like another one of your schemes."

Vern stood, shaking sand off his shadowy hide. "Bell," He smiled wistfully. "I know I've been a shithead but no matter what stunts went down I was always in your corner. Do you really think that little of me?"

"Keep flapping that silver tongue. You're just trying to talk your way out of trouble like always." The mention of Lilith did spark some minor interest. But what if this was his master plan? To lure me back to the underworld a final time? It was years since our last visit. He never did explain why we hadn't returned since I was a toddler.

The lesser fiend flew from the beach and hovered before me, flashing his signature cheeky grin. "Can you give ol' Verny last chance? What have you got to lose?"

I narrowed my eyes, chewing on my hair in thought.

After a long minute of juggling uncertainties, I relented with a listless sigh. "Fine. Just make it quick. If things go sour you better believe I'll use everything at my disposal to obliterate your sulfurous ass."

Vern chuckled softly. "That's my girl."


The scarlet darkness of a sunless sky stretched out over the collapsing acropolis where lamentations of tormented souls rose in unending chorus. Hulking forms trudged through the ruins, seizing the afflicted within their merciless grasp. This was the kingdom of shadowed misery.

A domain belonging to those ruled by lewd desires, doomed to spent aeons skulking in shame as they paid for sins committed in secrecy, adulterous affairs furtively embraced within bedrooms and hotels, carnal acts spent under shrouded sheets as individuals basked in their perversions, immortal stains only witnessed by divine eyes.

We had arrived in the second ring of Hell, the realm of lust.

I eyed the grim surroundings with indifference, noting the decrepit buildings and cracked statues had not changed since I was a child. When was it last that we traveled to these gloomy lands? I scarcely recalled the journey, skipping along the winding road as I held Vern's hand and clutched my stuffed giraffe with the other.

Vern slowly flew ahead as I trod over the uneven path, his fiery eyes illuminating the gloom. A wraith crawled over the stony trail, hands reaching for me as sewn lips emitted muffled pleas, his lower half nothing more than shredded flaps of flesh. Our gaze met for a split second, bloody tears streaking a filthy face. He might have been handsome, once. I stepped around the cursed mortal as a massive hand reached out from the eternal twilight and dragged the moaning victim back into the darkness.

"Charming place," I muttered, keeping close to Vern.

He shrugged, blue flames falling from his scorching brow. "They say it grows on you in time. Personally, I prefer the swampy comforts of Gehenna."

We picked our way through the rubble, working toward the forbidding city lying within the valley. The flickering light spilled over a decapitated bronze effigy, green rust blooming over ancient metal feet scarred by the scratches of countless fingernails. A few steps further, the broken head appeared beside us. Its mouth gaped open in a soundless scream, features lost to time.

The stronghold gates loomed before us, unknown sigils carved into the basalt doors. I observed various scenes sculpted into the ebony stone, reliefs of bodies intertwined, euphoria and agony twisting faces, engaging in a massive orgy while demons flayed their petrified flesh.

Vern spoke in a harsh sibilant language, commanding entry to the unholy palace. The stone creatures shifted, eyes glowing as the gates cracked open with a booming vibration, shaking the wasteland and making me stumble. I clung to Vern for balance, his wings flapping rapidly to keep himself upright.

"You cool?" He asked, glancing at the giant stone slabs parting before us. I swallowed, tucking stray locks behind my ear. "Yeah. Let's just get this shit over with."

Together we ventured into Libidine - the lecherous citadel, where the empress of sensual thirst and animal desires awaited.

"It might be best if you close your eyes for this part," My guardian admitted, glancing at me sheepishly. "You'll thank me later." Wordlessly, I clasped his clawed hand and shut my sight away, knowing what was about to come.

His callused palm rubbed against mine, bringing back old memories. We'd done this before when I was small enough for Vern to carry. I didn't understand what was happening back then, but now I was all too aware of the terrible things he shielded me from. Or so I thought.

Inside the walls, an awful odor greeted nostrils with a cloying perfume, churning my stomach. But those noises... the deafening noises were so much worse.

The rhythmic thuds of meat smacking wetly, low grunting, soft moans, desperate pleading, sudden shrieks, flesh tearing, breathless gasps, and cruel laughter all melding in a hideous cacophony, forcing bile to rise in my throat. Fluids splashed onto the ground beside us. I flinched away, feeling Vern grip me protectively.

"It's okay," He murmured. "I've got you. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other."

My legs quivered while I blindly followed him through the humid abyss. Invisible fingers groped at me. I whimpered, clutching Vern as he whirled furiously, lashing out. The assailant hissed unpleasantly and shrank back.

"Sorry about that," The demon growled, wrapping wings around me. "Horny bastards are everywhere."

The ground was slick with unknown liquids, making each step treacherous. Vern carefully guided me up a flight of slippery stairs, catching me when I stumbled and waiting until I was brave enough to move on. I shuddered as something slithered past us, smacking its lips.

Vern nudged me encouragingly. "You're doing great, kid. Just a little more and we can rest easy."

Taking a shaky breath, I summoned the strength to climb the final stair. Creatures cackled, hinges squealed, doors clicked open, expelling hot air rank with decay and musky orifices. We moved into a chamber as the sickening sounds faded behind us.

The guardian rested claws on my trembling shoulder, unfurling his wings from around me. "It's alright now," Vern sighed heavily. "You can open them."

Tentatively, I dared to peek at our surroundings.

We were standing within a lavish antechamber, coral pillars lining the gaping entrance to a narrow corridor. Flaming torches hung on the walls, casting a red glow over the room. A pair of muscular male guards stood on opposite sides of the entryway, wearing leather gags over their mouths, gilded breastplates, and... nothing else. They clutched long poles with snares dangling from the ends. I eyed those sinister nooses, hoping they wouldn't see any use.

"Come on," Gesturing to the hallway, Vern flew over and beckoned for me to follow. "She's expecting us."

Reluctantly, I passed through the slit-shaped opening, hugging myself as I warily watched the incubus guards. Unblinking eyes tracked me, saliva drooling from their gagged mouths.

Vern led me down the passage, pulling open an iron door and slipping into the great hall. Sensual frescoes decorated the tile floor, which stretched towards a rose-colored throne. The decor was dripping with phallic and yonic shapes, making me feel even more uncomfortable after the harrowing ordeal on the outskirts of the palace.

A succubus wearing shabby rags was busy polishing the throne with her forked tongue. We approached as she rubbed a cloth over the moisture with a scowl. "Where's Lilith?" Vern asked, neck craning as he glanced around.

"Taking her usual beauty bath," The demoness spat. "I'm sick of being her bitch. You'd think my talents were better suited out there but I drew the short straw for the next thousand years."

Smiling sympathetically, Vern thanked her and started to move on.

"Wait," The lowly succubus stood up. She glanced at my guardian and flashed him a racy grin, tail waving mischievously. "Do you want to have a little fun first? I've been dying to get some action. She won't even let me play with the incubuses, says I'll spoil their appetite."

Shuffling his feet, he coughed politely. "Sorry, I've got important business to attend to. Maybe next time."

"What about her? I'm not picky." Glancing me up and down, the maid bit her lip and blew me a kiss. "How about it, girly?"

I shied behind Vern as her ugly scowl returned. "Everybody's asexual around me apparently." She hissed, flicking her tail angrily. Vern put his arm around my shoulders and pulled me away while the servant sourly continued cleaning the spotless throne. Curses faded into the distance as we slipped into another passage and left the great hall behind.

"Is everyone like that here?" I asked fearfully. He gave me a wry half-smile. "That and then some."

The familiar sound of running water echoed down the corridor, growing louder once we neared the beaded curtain at the end. Vern pulled the veil aside, allowing me to enter first. I wrinkled my nose, inhaling the metallic odor of rust. After I entered the bathing chamber, I discovered the pleasant melody of rushing liquid wasn't water at all. It was blood.

An enormous vat of crimson fluid flowed before us. Two golden statues knelt on the opposite end, a naked man and woman embraced in an obscene display as static tongues intertwined. From their genitals, twin fountains of gore poured into the tub. Fat black flies buzzed around the sticky cistern, feasting on the caked clumps scabbing the walls and floor, gleefully rubbing hairy legs together.

I put a hand to my stinging nose, feeling lightheaded from the overpowering stench. Vern watched me with concern. Shaking my head, I signaled to him that I was alright, he needn't worry.

Bubbles emerged from below, popping on the oily surface. Blood clots floated away from the ripples, chunks drifting toward the edges of the pool. A shape undulated below, causing the contents to spill over the lip, splashing at my feet. Nimbly, I avoided those scarlet puddles.

"Why does she soak in this disgusting mess?" I whispered to my guardian as humming insects whizzed past.

He shrugged, scratching his warped spurs. "Blood of virgins, I believe. Mostly men. She says it's a good exfoliate."

Horns slid out from the dark red lake. Wet hair clung to sanguine features as Lilith raised herself from the bath, exhaling a purr of contentment. Wiping the plasma from her eyes, she licked the dripping fingers with pleasure. The succubus queen bit her sharp nails and winked at me. I felt a tremor of fear at her smoldering gaze, peering into orbs of pure umbra that absorbed all light.

"My my," She sighed huskily. "How I've missed you, Jezzy. Awfully rude to keep me waiting all these years. I was beginning to think you weren't coming back for Sally."

I frowned, the name bringing back a long-forgotten memory. A fuzzy comrade, that stuffed giraffe my father bought me as a birthday gift, the one I always snuggled with in bed. I couldn't remember where I put it last. Turns out I'd lost it in the depths of Hell.

Lilith pulled the soaked toy from the gory water, hugging it to her chest. "It was the only gift you ever gave me." Tenderly, she kissed the bloated animal on the head. "Now you two can be reunited again."

The thought of touching that childhood artifact made me want to retch.

I shook my head rapidly. "No, no. It's okay. She's... she's yours." Forcing a smile, I resisted the sudden urge to grab Vern's arm. "A gift's a gift, right?"

Laughing musically, Lilith waded towards us. "Such a sweetheart. I see that hasn't changed one bit." She tossed the soggy giraffe to Vern, who held it outstretched with a grimace. Tilting her head to the side, the empress squeezed the thick moisture from her hair and began wrapping the wet locks around elegant horns to dry.

"Oh how deliciously you've grown. Who knew that little girl would have such a voluptuous figure?" Lilith eyed me with a lascivious gaze, forcing me to cross my arms unconsciously.

"Come to my bedroom," She smirked, "I have a gift for you as well." Sliding out of the bath, the empress rose to her full height, towering over Vern and me. She sauntered through the beaded curtain, blood-streaked hips swaying erotically.

I looked at Vern, eyes wide. "She's... she's not, right? Tell me we didn't come here for THAT."

He swallowed, shaking his head. "I wanna say no, but you can never be certain with that one. Lilith ain't the succubus queen for nothing. Don't worry, I won't let her try anything kinky. It's just a conversation... I hope."

We followed the crimson footprints to her chambers, where the hemic empress was busily brushing her lengthy mane before a curved mirror. Lilith met my gaze in the reflection, lips curled with delight. "Tell me," She breathed seductively. "What took you so long to visit your dear aunt?"

I shrugged, unsure of what to say. Then my irritation took the reigns, remembering the reason for our arrival. "Was busy I guess. Not like I really knew what was going on. You and Vern kinda left out the part about me being the Whore of Babylon. Thanks for that."

"Ah," The succubus put the gory hairbrush to a dainty chin. "I'd almost forgotten."

I narrowed my eyes. "Cut the crap. You knew exactly what was going on. I never had a say in this. What if I don't want to be your harlot of doom or whatever?"

Lilith chuckled, placing her brush upon the vanity table. "You seem to be a little misguided, sweetie. Why wouldn't you rise to your destiny? Don't you know what it means?"

Folding my arms, I cocked an eyebrow. "Apocalypse, end of the world, all that jazz? Things are going good for me right now, I'd like to keep it that way."

She turned around with a disappointed sigh, pendulous breasts swaying obscenely.

I winced and looked away. "Could you put something on? I'd appreciate a bra, at least."

Huffing, Lilith placed sticky hands on her narrow waist and glared at Vern. "I didn't know you raised her to be such a prude."

Vern coughed and said nothing, rubbing his neck. I glanced at him, wondering if I'd have turned out differently under the tutelage of some other demon. Maybe he wasn't such a bad friend after all.

"Well if it makes you feel better, I suppose some formal attire isn't out of the question." The empress sniffed and lifted her arms in the air. Dried blood evaporated from her flawless skin. A circlet of finger bones appeared on her head, skeletal ribs wrapping around an ample bust as a mini-skirt encircled her broad hips in a skimpy gown of ivory femurs.

Twirling before me, Lilith struck a pose and tossed her shimmering hair. "Better?"

"Much," I said dryly. "Now can we settle this whole business? I'd like to be home in time for dinner if that's alright with you."

Vern chimed in, voicing his intentions to keep our stay to a minimum. "Yeah. We got a uh... a busy day of sinful activities planned tomorrow. Descratin' churches 'n shit. Souls ain't gonna damn themselves, you know."

The succubus queen pouted exquisitely. "Oh come now, what's the rush? You've only just arrived, dear Jezzy."

"Don't call me that," I snapped. "I always hated my name. Plus I'm not buying your cutesy doting aunt routine."

Her haunting features twitched, warmth freezing into a chilling mask. "I see," Lilith remarked. "Seems the little girl has grown into her teeth." She turned back to the mirror and stretched out a razor nail. It clicked on the glass surface, images rippling as the polished expanse morphed into a window.

"Observe carefully then," Lilith said indifferently. "You wished for answers and now you shall receive."

Smoke billowed around the edges of the portal, masking the images. Gradually, outlines emerged. I witnessed myself, seated upon a great and terrible beast. Seven heads bowed beneath my regal form, an amethyst cloak of orchid petals draped over my shoulders while scarlet silk straps cradled curves, forming a pentagram over my exposed chest as the rich fabric flowed downwards, more lingerie than a dress.

As I watched in horror, my alter ego spoke a wordless command. The imposing hydra clambered to gargantuan feet, crushing ant-sized people as it treads towards a burning city.

Skyscrapers toppled, monuments collapsed, flames consuming the wreckage while my satanic doppelganger expressed amusement amid the carnage, laughing blithely at death and destruction. A head twisted backward, allowing the harlot to step on. She raised arms, bejeweled bracelets shining as the monster carried her down to the ruins below.

The Whore of Babylon stood atop mounds of corpses, rubbing her indecent body with pleasure as the injured and dying crawled beneath her heels.

"Isn't it glorious?" Lilith sighed reverently. She reached out and stroked the mirror, fingers tenderly running over my corrupted figure.

I didn't share her rosy view. My impression was one of incomprehensible dread, a knot twisting my guts at the apocalyptic vision. There was no way I would willingly become the source of calamity, right? Who would take joy in this grim future?

Turning away from the haunting prophecy, I glanced at Vern. He was still clutching a dripping Sally, staring at the sodden giraffe with a haunted expression.

When I returned to the looking glass, the Whore was naked. She lay atop a mass of writhing bodies as the crippled and deformed survivors began engaging in a massive orgy. My abdomen spasmed. I threw up, coughing and gagging as I heaved, violently sick at the vile perversion.

Vern didn't react, mournfully examining the remnant of innocence.

"This is my favorite part," Lilith cooed, hugging herself with excitement.

I didn't want to see it. My mind refused that unthinkable outcome, the doom I couldn't escape from. But I had to know. I had to witness the tainted birth of my new persona, to understand the truth of my existence.

A shadowy man crawled from the pile of flesh, pulling himself towards my disrobed form. The Whore accepted the stranger with open arms, wrapping her legs around his waist and kissing him deeply as the two shapes became one. A flaming crown burst to life upon his faceless head.

"The Anti-Christ," Moaning quietly, Lilith gasped at their intimacy. "You will spread your corruption and bring forth a great and terrible lover. He shall command the armies of Abaddon and you will be his queen."

My twin opened her mouth in shameless ecstasy, locking eyes with me for a long moment. Then the vision faded back into our surroundings.

Shuddering uncontrollably, I sank to the cold stone floor, completely drained by my disturbing representation. Vern dropped the stuffed animal and knelt beside me.

"I tried," He muttered. "I really did."

Cocking her crowned head, Lilith gave him a strange look. "Tried what, exactly? You didn't disobey my explicit instructions now, did you?"

Scrambling to his clawed feet, Vern rustled his wings uncomfortably. "Wouldn't dream of it, my queen. I meant I tried to warn Bell but she wouldn't listen. Damn kid's a stubborn one."

"Is that why she's still a virgin? I could smell that disgusting purity on her the moment she stepped into this castle." The pleasantness was long gone from her voice, replaced by a malevolent disdain. She moved toward Vern, feet quietly padding like a predatory panther.

He slowly backed away as Lilith neared, the darkness in her furious gaze growing more voluminous. "Still working on that angle," Vern smiled weakly. "We still have time, right? The prophecy said something about an eighteenth birthday?"

The empress lunged, snatching him by the neck. He struggled in her grasp, wings beating against her fist. I reached towards him, lips quivering. "Please," I rasped. "It wasn't his fault."

Holding him at eye level, Lilith smirked wickedly. "I've been watching your progress all this time. Thought you could waste years traipsing around the earth and settle for some venial sins? I'm disappointed in you, Vern. The Morningstar had such high hopes in your potential."

Coughing, Vern choked out a reply. "Even... Lucifer refused... orders. Thought he'd see... the irony."

"You have no right to say that name!" Lilith hissed. Clutching a fluttering wing, she tore it free from his infernal body as he shrieked.

I screamed along with him, tears spilling down my face as black ichor spurted onto the ground. "Stop! Please, don't hurt him... I'll rise to the calling! I do whatever you want, just please let him go." Sobbing desperately, I crawled over to her feet and grabbed a slender ankle.

Lilith kicked me, a powerful blow sending my winded body against the wall. I crumpled to the ground, wheezing for breath as she ripped the other leathery appendage from Vern. He stopped howling, slumping in her vengeful clasp.

"Vern..." I whimpered, unable to see his mutilated form through blurry sight. Wiping my sorrow away, I watched helplessly as the succubus queen slowly twisted off his horned head and held it before me.

"He was no true demon. Look upon him and witness what happens when you go against the will of Satan." Tightening her fingers, Lilith crushed Vern's skull with a sickening pop.

I screamed, feeling the impact in my chest, pulverizing my heart as the best friend I'd ever known was obliterated before my eyes. Ichor splattered over my clothes, soaking into my skin. A part of me died in that room. It withered and vanished along with Vern, the mischievous trickster I absolutely hated and unquestionably loved.

"You bitch," I blubbered. If only I could call down lightning, summon the seven-headed beast to rip Lilith to shreds. But no such power was at my disposal.

Tossing the decapitated carcass away, Lilith licked her oily hand and grimaced. "Thought he'd taste better than that." Glancing down at my grieving figure, she sniffed in contempt. "Look at you, languishing over a half-rate fiend. Don't fret now, darling. There's plenty of hellions in the sea."

She yanked me to unsteady feet and snapped her fingers. A doorway opened in the wall, crackling with demonic energy. Holding me before the opening, Lilith kissed me on the cheek.

"I did promise to get you back in time for dinner, didn't I? Not that you'll be hungry with all that sniveling. I'll be sending you a suitable replacement so you won't be too lonely. I do owe you a present, after all."

Upon shoving me through the portal, the succubus cackled as reality twisted and spun. When I sat up, I was back in my messy bedroom. I curled into a ball, tears streaking my face, softly keening over Vern's grisly execution. Now I had no one.

I was alone in the world, left with nothing but my lamentations.
© Copyright 2021 Ray Scrivener (rig0rm0rtis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2261532-Part-2-Lamentations