*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2262327-RELAPSE
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Fanfiction · #2262327
Paul is sober and clean for ten months before meeting his neighbor.
I had not had a drink of alcohol for ten months when on Wednesday, November 25, 2021 arriving back to my apartment #22 complex from another day of work I witnessed my neighbor, a redheaded elder Irishman, Tony Scott outside his apartment #27. He's standing by the railing weaving in a drunkard motion waving his arms and yelling at the traffic down below.
I only know Tony to be a drunk with the nickname of 'Tightwad' as I climbed the medal stairs to the 2nd floor.
"What the fuck are you up too, man?"
:Hey man," Tony said in reply. "I need some help. Come on over and have a drink."
I trudged across the medal grade over where he was entering his apartment. The one room apartment was a horrid mess. This Tony must be some kind of pack rat. There were garbage bags everywhere, clothing, newspapers, empty liters of vodka, beer cans, pizza boxes with slices molding. And I thought I was some kind of pig. This Tony was the pits.
On entering he had thrown everything off a blue cushion chair and sat in another kitchen chair near his bed.
:Sit down," he said pointing toward the cushion chair. He lifted a liter bottle of vodka to his lips and drank, then held the bottle out toward me. "Want a swallow?"
"No," said I. "I have quit drinking going on ten months."
"Ok, Paul...Paul is your name, right?"
"Yes it is," said I, "and you are Tony?"
:Yah, man, ah, anyway, I lost some valuable papers," said Tony on lightning up a Winston. "Do you smoke?"
"Yes, I have my own," bringing out my pack of Marlboros from my shirt pocket. "So, what kind of valuable papers?"
"Court papers of my suit that I filed and settled upon," said Tony with a smile, lifting the bottle of vodka for another swig.
:Suit, you settled on a suit?"
:Yes, ah, yes I did...of course it was out of court agreement."
"Well, congratulations," said I. "How much was the settlement?"
"I filed a million dollar suit three years ago and a week ago I settled for $70,000 all in cash."
I didn't know what to say. I was thunder struck. I hated my job, a part time one, and was not making much money. I didn't know if I heard what I thought I heard. I do know that if I heard what I think I heard I better become good friends with Tony 'Tightwad' Scott, my neighbor.
"Are you going to invest?"
"Fuck no...ah, invest in what?"
":I don't know. How about me?"
"Invest in you?" Ha, ha, ha, laughed Tony as he tilted the litter bottle to his lips for another healthy swallow. :You sure you don't want a drink?
"Hell yes, I'll have a drink. Give me that bottle," said I, jumping onto my feet, knowing damn well that I better leap upon his bandwagon in hopes of becoming boozing buddies.
© Copyright 2021 Thecliff (thecliff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2262327-RELAPSE