*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2262574-An-easy-mistake
by Ester
Rated: E · Other · Other · #2262574
Boy gets mistaken for his twin sister by his Great-Aunt.
It was not any 14 year old boys idea of a good start to the summer holidays to spent a week 100 miles from home with only a suitcase full of clothes and his phone, but with Brook's parents away at a business conference for the week and with his twin sister away at her summer camp he had no alternative but to spend the week with his 73 year old, slightly gaga Great-Aunt Faith.

As his parents drove away from the drive, Great-Aunt Faith walked with Brook into the house and gave him a short tour of her home.
"Now I know that you stayed with me last year dear, but I feel I should remind you that if you want anything specific to eat you should let me know beforehand this evening, my personal shopper will come in a couple of days, as well as my hair stylist and my manicurist will be coming round here tomorrow. We could get yours done if you want, like last year.
Anywhere here we are your bedroom from last year, I haven't touched it at all, except I've done is hung up a few things you left here after you stayed with me for all of last summer. I'll let you unpack your suitcase then come down for supper."

Brook opened the door and stared with wide eyes in shock at what was an undeniably feminine bedroom: from the pink walls to the purple stool in front of the cream make-up vanity desk, his attention was vividly drawn to the double-bed in the centre of the room which was coated in a giant ruffled duvet covered with butterflies at the head of the bed were several floral pillows.
Finally, next to the coral curtains was a massive cream wardrobe. It was the most feminine room Brook had ever seen in his life. After several long minutes of standing in disbelief, Brook heard his Great-Aunt calll him down for his supper, so he threw a t-shirt and shorts into the bed along with his pyjamas and his toiletries before shoving his suitcase under the bed as far as it would go before he headed downstairs.

Supper consisted of 2 things: hot chicken soup and Great-Aunt Faith's endless talk as she was of the opinion that Brook would be too fatigued after his journey to talk much. She talked about his long journey, nattered about her weekly schedule, spoke about her new neighbours were coming back from their holiday in a couple of days, jabbered on about what there was to get up to in the area and what he could get up to throughout the week.
Eventually she ceased her endless chit-chat, and after assuring Brook he could answer yes or no if he was too tired to provide detailed answers, she started to ask questions about his appearance. Which much to his later regret in his fatigued daze he didn't properly hear her and just responded with a half -hearted "yeah".

" You've turned into a bit of a tomboy over the year haven't you? "

"Yeah."

"Would you like to come with me to see a show in 4 days?"

" Yeah. "

"You"'ll need to wear something a bit more suitable, but I'm sure you have something pretty in your suitcase."

" Yeah. "

"Your hair is so messy Brook, we really must do something about it."

" Yeah. "

"My hairstylist is coming in a couple of days, would you like her to do something with it?"

"Yeah"

" Splendid, I'll let her know. "

"... Brook."

"Yeah."

"Are you wearing a bra?"


" ...What? "

"Are you wearing a bra?"

"Great-Aunt Faith, why would I be wearing a bra?"

"Drop the Great please Brook, it makes me sound old. And how old are you now anyway?"

" 14. "

"Well there you are, I know you like to think of yourself as a bit of a tomboy but any girl your age should be wearing a bra."

"Aunt Faith, I am a boy."

"Darling, I know it's all the range for girls to be boys and boys to be girls - it was on the telly the other night - but it is simply improper for a young lady of your age to be running around the place with no bra even for late bloomers such as yourself. Now it's nothing to be ashamed off dear, I was a late bloomer myself it's inherited or something like that, but that's no excuse for you not to wear a bra. And besides what would your mother think?"

" But. "

"But me no buts, Brook. Centlivre. Now I know that it's only 8.30, but you've had a long day and I can see that you're already beginning to fall asleep at the table. You go up to bed, sweet dreams love."



Despite his deep reservations about his room, Brook slept soundly and, after getting dressed, came down for breakfast with his Aunt. "Do you remember those neighbours that I mentioned last night?" Aunt Faith asked as she spooned out the remaining porridge into Groom's bowl.
"Well I forgot to tell you about them: there's Trent who used to be in army, then there's his wife Sophia who works from home and volunteers weekly as a teacher in the evenings and finally there's their daughter who is called Lexy. They'll be back tomorrow evening, I expect you would much rather spend your holiday with someone closer your age than your boring old Great-Aunt, well your in luck Lexy's only a few months younger than you and very mature for age, mind you she is very much a girly sort of girl and according to her mum rather strong-minded so if I were you I would listen to her.
"Now then I've got my manicurist coming in around lunchtime today so you will have to keep yourself occupied until then, you could do with your nails doing they're ever so long, they would look so lovely with a dab of nail polish and with those smooth hands of yours as well. Gosh if only I had hands like yours."

"Aunt Faith, I am not interested in nail polish or manicures or anything like that. It's silly and I don't want it alright. Thank you.
I'll explore the area and be back at 12.30 for lunch."

"Really dear, there is no such need for that sort of outburst, if you want to explore the area you can use my bike in the garage and make sure you wear suncream, I'll put some in the basket for you I know how you teenagers are always forgetting things.
Have a good time and don't lower the gears I know it makes cycling up those bills easier but Trent told me if I change the gears the chain will snap."


Cycling his Great-Aunt's cruiser bike around the area would've been much easier if Brook had been the physical sort, regrettably, he thought to himself as he swept the sweat of his brow, he had never been and so had no choice but to remain seated on the promenade while his energy returned.
Gazing upon the frothy water crash repeatedly upon the golden sands Brook reflected on what he had seen on his cycle. He had passed by a shopping centre which he had dismissed, past the theatre and the fitness centre. which was all encased in woodland which sporadically appeared in his view before melting back into shops and other buildings. Before standing up and beginning the arduous cycle back to Aunt Faith's home.

To Brook's surprise the front door was opened by an unknown woman who looked to be in her mid 40s wearing capris and a turquoise blouse.
"Come in and take your socks and shoes off dearie, Eileen this is Brook my Great-Niece who's staying with me for the week. Brook meet Eileen my manicurist, there's some salmon sandwiches in the kitchen you can eat them in here, bless her the poor girl is tired out after her ride. Now how are my nails coming Eileen?"

"Faith we are nearly three quarters through and your nails are looking very elegant."

As Brook ate his sandwiches the days activities slowly began to catch him up and he gradually began to rest in the arms of Morpheus.

"Well there we are Faith, you just need to let them dry out and they'll be as beautiful as always."

"Thanks as always Eileen you always do a marvellous job, look the sweetheart has fallen sound asleep... Actually before you go could you do me a favour."

"Anything for you Faith."

"Do you think you could do Brook's nail's done, she's just arrived you see and I'm trying to settle her in but I'm a bit of my depth and I'm sure if she saw her nails all dolled up she would feel more at home, I'll pay you of course."

"Oh all right Faith, as it's you. Now what colour would she like, it's seems nasty to wake her, I've got all sorts of nail polish colours here with me."

"Well Eileen I'll tell you what I had in mind for her..."

Some time later, Brook woke up and realized he was still in the armchair. His hands felt strange, and as he looked down at them, he them longer and that they had been painted a bright periwinkle blue with silver sprinkles along his nail bed.

"What!" Brook screamed. "Aunt Faith help!"

"Why are you screaming, Dear?" Aunt Faith asked as she came into the room.

Brook held out his hands to show Aunt Faith.
"This! Look at what she did to me!"

"Yes your nails look lovely, I picked the colours out myself. What do you think of your toes?"

Brook looked down to see his toenails a vivid crimson red.

"What did she do to me?" He exclaimed.

"Well after she sanitized your hands she filed and bevelled your nails to shape them before applying cuticle cream and then she let your hands have a good soak, afterwards she pushed back your cuticles and have your hands a nice massage before she applied the base cost and then she painted them and tidied them up; aren't they lovely Brook?"

"Did you ask her to do this?"

"Anything to help you settle in. I know having a good mani-Pedi always helps me feel comfortable."

"Aunt Faith, will you look at what she's done to me, this is terrible, it needs to go now!"

"Well I can have a look for some nail remover but I'm sure I won't have any until next week I think she's done a marvellous job with them Brook." Aunt Faith said as she dug through her cabinets.

"Is it in there?" Brook tried futilely to remove the nail polish with no avail.

"No Brook, besides your nails look lovely so I can't fathom why you're kicking up such a fuss over a bit of nail polish, you loved having your nails polished last year."

Brook rolled his eyes as he continued to attempt to remove the nail polish.

By the end of the day, Brook has accepted that the polish was going nowhere and had adapted fairly well to the nails. They weren't overly long and didn't get in his way at all, although he still saw the colour when he looked down.


After yesterday's nail disaster, Brook spent most of the morning in his room, scrolling through his social media accounts on his phone, to avoid his Aunt and her hair-brained thoughts of girlhood.

After several hours of mindless scrolling, his Aunt burst into his room with a shimmer.

"What do you think of my hair Brook darling? I've just had it restyled and tidied up by Veronica. Don't you think it looks fabulous and classy?

Brook looked at his Aunt's grey hair.

"It looks the same to me, just a bit tidier I suppose.

"Oh don't be such a teenager Brook, it's a pity really that you don't do anything with your hair; it needs a good wash for starters and I can make out all of those split ends from her. Still it's a good length, just past your shoulders, with lots of potential so that's something I suppose. Up you get now you've been in that bed of yours far too long, go and get in that shower now. Oh and make you use that conditioner I put in there. "

Brook, having showered, got dressed and came out to see his Aunt staring towards him with a look of grim disapproval. "Look at your hair, it's like a drowned rat all tangled and damp come and sit here and I'll sort it out for you and I want you know young lady I will not take no for an answer."

Ignoring the poor boy's futile protests Brook's Aunt steered him over to a stool where over the following forty five minutes she dried, cut away the split ends styled his brown shoulder-length disheveled hair until she declared herself finished with by pulling it into a high loose bun with many shorter pieces of curled hair falling around his face like tendrils dancing luxuriously in the wind.

"You see Brook" Aunt Faith declared after she had finished "what that tangled mane of yours can come to. Your hair is now marvellous, it's nearly as good as mine." She finished with a cheeky wink in Brook's direction.

With a face like thunder Brook had no choice but to smolder his way up the staircase to his feminine room where for several minutes he unsuccessfully attempted to rearrange his hair to something more manly.
After many fruitless tries he took out his suitcase from where he had placed it under the bed 2 nights before and searched through his clothes for the never used haircomb that his mother had insisted he bring with him.
It wasn't there.
An inevitable dread flowed through him. The fact that he could feel his bun bounce whenever he moved with curls cascading down the sides of his face filled him with an alien sensation growing in his gut. Breathing heavily he remained kneeling in front of his open suitcase surrounded by strewn clothes until the feeling passed. Wiping the tears of anger and shame from his eyes, slowly he inhaled a deep shallow breath and rose to his feet.

He heard a sharp knock at his door and opened it to see his Aunt with a catalogue selection of local cafes in her left hand.

"Shall we go out for lunch today Brook?" A look of concern came over her face. "Have you been crying? What's wrong love? Come here." Aunt Faith reached out and pulled Brook by the arm and clutched him tightly to her bosom.
"It's okay love, it's okay, deep breaths now that's it, that's it good girl. Now I think I know what's upset you, it's that haircut am I right." Brook nodded with years in his eyes. "All right then love, now let me tell you something I wish my old mum had told me when she gave a new hairstyle for the first time.
"A new hairstyle is a big change and you might be worried that you might be picked on because of it or that a new hairstyle means a new you. But I know and so do you that deep inside you is a confident young teenager who is ready to emerge from her cocoon and greet the world. And listen to me, you look so beautiful with your hair like that. How do you feel now? Better? Good. Now how does a picnic in the backgarden sound to you?"

"Yeah, yeah that sounds good."

"Splendid, there's your smile back and afterwards we need to tidy away your clothes, they are covering the floor and making your room look a right mess."

Whilst Aunt Faith made the picnic meal, Brook carried out a picnic blanket into the centre of his Aunt Faith's backyard which was filled with shrubs and flowers that fed the many bees and butterflies with pollen. Precariously carrying a tray covered in sandwiches, fruit, mini-sausages, cake and fruit-juice, his Aunt came out of the kitchen to sit down by him.
As they asked they are their lunch in a companionable silence Brook reflected on his Aunt's advice before his Aunt broke the silence between them.

"This evening my neighbours will be coming back from their holiday aboard."

" I know, you told me this on my first day with you. "

"Did I, I had clean forgotten that, anyway I've sent Lexy's mum an email inviting Lexy over tomorrow afternoon for tea and cake. So won't that be nice hanging out with someone your own age, I do hope you dress a bit nicer to make a good first impression."

Brook choked on his slice of victoria sponge cake "what do you mean dress a bit nicer?"

"Well it's up to you really dear, but if I was you then maybe a nice summer dress or a skirt perhaps I'm sure you have packed at least one away in that suitcase of hours."

" No, definitely not, I'll be wearing what I'm wearing now. "

"Well if that's what you feel comfortable in, then that's all that matters."

After their picnic had finished and after they had tidied everything away Aunt Faith sent Brook away upstairs to tidy away his clothes while she had a late afternoon nap.

Opening his door, Brook was faced with his suitcase lying empty upon the bed with all of its content strewn randomly around the room. Groaning at the task ahead of him, Brook collected his socks and underwear and put them with his speedo into the top draw of the vanity desk his toiletries went into the bathroom next door. Gathering all of his shorts and t-shirts he opened the wardrobe doors only to drop all of the clothes he was holding in shock and surprise.

Hung up in the wardrobe that he had never opened before, was a wide assortment of clothing clearly suited for a teenage girl. A range of different dresses, skirts, leggings, denim shorts, camisoles, tops and swimsuits faced him with a pair of sandals arranged nearly on the floor. Trying his best not to scream, Brook slid open the bottom draw only to see a collection of folded bras and panties.
His Aunt's words reverberated through his mind

"All I've done is hung up a few things you left here after you stayed with me for all of last summer."

Brook stared still as his eyes slowly widened, his mouth slowly dropping, lost for words and bewildered at this unforeseen turn of events. Time stopped still as in slow motion whilst his throat dried as a desert and his knees buckled and his body stumbled backwards until it connected with the vanity desk stool where he remained seated upon taking deep shallow breaths until he jumped up with a newly found burst of energy and slammed the wardrobe door shut with a bang.

Closing his eyes shut tight to turn a blind eye to the disturbing contents of the wardrobe, Brook reaching out blindly, scrambling, crawling around like Tiresias clawing together his dropped clothing and shoved them all in the mercifully empty bottom wardrobe door.

Breathing heavily Brook left his room with nothing but the clothes on his back and primal instinct to leave. Knowing that truly he would have to return Brook removed Aunt Faith's bicycle from where it was stored and set off down the road, not knowing or caring when he would return.

After just 2 miles of heavy cycling, Brook had become thankful for the bun his hair was in. No longer was his long locks getting in the way of his vision, no longer was it acting like a blanket cooking his head in the sweltering summer sun. But why oh why did it have to make him look like a girl? He could not answer, all he could say to himself as he reflected on the predicaments that had befallen him over the past few days was that all of his misfortunes were preventable. If he had decided to take up on the offer to go to a summer camp then he would not be here far from home stick with his seemingly senile Aunt. If had a haircut before coming then his Aunt wouldn't have mistaken him for his parents daughter. If he didn't have such baggy t-shirts then his Great-Aunt wouldn't have thought he needed to wear a bra.
It was, he reflected, his decisions that had led him to the outlandish situation he had found himself in.

Up ahead a lady had dropped her shopping bags and all manner of foodstuffs was rolling over the path. Instinctively Brook jumped off the bike and ran over to the lady and began helping her to collect all her food.
Once every was collected Brook turned to go but as he did so he felt a soft hand clutch at his wrist. Subconsciously twisting his arm to hide his nails Brook turned to face the women.

"Oh thank you", she said, " I don't what I would have done without you I really don't, how ever can I thank you? "

"It really was no trouble at all."

"Wait I know how to repay you." The lady reached into her purse and pulled out a card which she handed to Brook. " If you're looking for a summer job just phone this number and mention that Kate told you to call this number. We are always looking for kind girls like you. "

With a clenched smile Brook accepted the card from the lady and picking up his bike headed straight back to his Aunt's home.


Late that night as Brook slept soundly, a silver Volkswagon drove into the neighbouring driveway.


Late next morning Brook dragged himself out of bed and after dressing himself thumped down the stairs to the breakfast table where his Aunt was reading the newspaper. As he approached his Aunt raised an eyebrow but said nothing as he sat down on the chair and began eating his cereal.

"You"'ll be pleased to know that Lexy has accepted the invitation that I sent to her mum and she'll be round here at 2.30."

"Great." Brook indifferently mumbled through a mouthful of images cereal.

"Now I'm sure you want to make a good first impression on her, so make sure that you are polite and well spoken, I don't want to hear any mumbles grunts that so many of you teenagers seem to think passes for proper speech and make sure you look nice no mud or -."

"I get it: act nice, look nice, talk nice. It's easy. But there is no need to go on at me like, that you're beginning to sound like my mum."

"Well alright dear I just want you to have someone your age who you can spend time with that's all. And besides any girl needs better company that your old Aunt." Aunt Faith folded up the paper and leaving it on the table picked up her book and went through to the living room leaving Brook to finish his breakfast.

As Brook finished and tidied away his bowl, he thought that it would be nice to have a cute girl his own age to hang around with, well so long as she didn't mistake him for a girl like his Aunt and that woman that he help yesterday.
He crinched at the memory. But no. No one his own age could be that daft, surely? He would have to say the nails and hair were just silly prank by his Aunt and of course he could not let her into his room without dying of embarrassment. But so long as he followed those principles them maybe just maybe this holiday wouldn't be a complete waste after all.
If he was lucky he might even be able to see her in a swimsuit.

1.30 P.M. Aunt Faith hustled and bustled Brook until he joined her sweeping, dusting and polishing until Aunt Faith was satisfied. Out came the tablecloth and out came the China plates and out came the teapot and China cups. Finally out came the fruitcake that they had spent the past few hours baking.

2.25 P.M. "Brook darling, we have done a superb job but you should have worn an apron like me. You are covered in dirt, go and put your clothes in the laundry basket and get changed into something a bit less furthermore she gets here. Go on up you go I seem to remember putting up a nice blue skater skirt in the wardrobe, it would go wonderfully with a blouse."

2.30 P.M. Nothing. Not a knock at the door. Not a ring of the bell. Nothing

2.32 P.M. Suddenly there came a tapping, as if someone gently rapping, rapping at the front door.

Aunt Faith took a brief look upwards before opening the front door wide and a young teenager dressed casually, but not overly so, in a velvet circle skirt and a stripped t-shirt that was only slightly cropped showing only a mere sliver of skin.

"Good afternoon." The girl extended a dainty hand which Aunt Faith shook. "Thank you for inviting me."

"Lexy, isn't it, I'm so glad you could come, my grand-neice will be done shortly and I'm sure she's looking forward to having someone her age to meet. Well, would you like to come through I'm sure Brook will be here shortly. She's just a bit shy that's all really, all she really needs is someone to help her come out of her shell I imagine."

Lexy gave responded with a polite smile before smoothing her skirt beneath her and sitting down at the table.

Having taken his time to change into a clean pair of shorts and a t-shirt, Brook had began to mooch out of his room when he heard his Aunt's voice call up "Brook get down here now!". Realising that Lexy must have already arrived and desperate to introduce himself to her before his Aunt said anything to make her think he was a girl, Brook rushed down the hall and bounded downstairs.

His Aunt turned towards him with pursed lips and crossed arms before tilting her head towards the pretty girl who rose from her chair and held out across an outstretched hand. Instinctively Brook took it before silently cursing to himself as he revealed his nails. "Cute nails!" Lexy gushed as she released his hand. " How did you decide on that design? "

"Thanks..." Brook flushed as he put his arms behind his back. "They don't usually look like that, my Aunt arranged for them to be done professionally."

"Well they needed doing after all, now why don't you girls sit down and have some cake and I'll go and get some drinks." Interjected Aunt Faith.

The two young teenagers took their seats across from one another. I

"So..." Brook begun, "What is there to soon this town? For fun I mean."

"Well to begin with there's the beach." Left said through a mouthful of cake. "And of course there's lots of other things we can do, I'm just happy that there's one other girl around here, I thought this was going a rather dull summer but now your here this summer will be much more fun. We can go on shopping trips and go to the gym together."

" Right... Shopping trips... "Brook's brain was repeatedly replaying Lexy's word round and around.

" all right girls, who wants what? I brought through all the drinks that I could find. " Aunt Faith's reappearance snapped Brook out of his daze.

After they had fished their cake Lexy asked Brook if they could go up to her room.

"No. Definitely not, you don't want to see my room. Let's... Um... Let's stay here or... Or we could go outside or help out Aunt Faith or something." Brook flustered.

" Nonsense." Aunt Faith said. "You've got a lovely room and I'm sure that Lexy would love to see it."

"But don't you need our help tidying away all of the plates away down here?" Brook glared pierecingly at his Aunt.

"That's a very lovely thought Brook but I'll manage, no you girls have a nice time now." Aunt Faith discarded with a wave of her arm.

As they approached the room Brook's heart pounded at the thought of leaving out any clothes that would label clearly as male.

Brook exhaled with relief as they came through the door. "Nice room!" Left remarked. "Mind you, it's not the sort of room I pictured you as having."

"Well it's my Aunt's room really, I'm only just visiting until my parents finish their conference I'm only staying a little while longer." Brook explained. "I'm not usually like this."

"Yeah I see you in that t-shirt, you've gotta branch out and spread your wings out, show off your femininity. I mean if it hadn't been for your hair and those nails I would have mistaken you for a guy and that would've been embarrassing for us now wouldn't it. Left said.

Brook silently cursed his Aunt. "Yeah, good thing that didn't happen hey."

"Totally." Lexy flashed a grin "Hey, I know what will be fun. Let's see what clothes you brought with you, it'll be fun." And before Brook could react Lexy pulled open the wardrobe door and smiled. "Here we go. I love all of these different styles you have here. How come you don't wear these clothes? I mean you would look much cuter in this summer dress for example, and it's much more suitable for all this hot weather that we are having this year as well."

Brook shifted his feet side to side and through dry lips said. "Those clothes were left here last year. I don't really wear those clothes anymore. I just prefer to wear a t-shirt and shorts that's all."

"Well I think as your friend that you would feel better something from here, but if that's what you want then that's alright with me. What have you been doing for fun since you arrived here all on your own?"

Relieved at the sudden change of topic, Brook eagerly launched with gusto into the task of informing Lexy what he had been up to over the past few days until a flow of conversation had been established between the 2 young teenagers.

A knock on the door broke through them out of their reverie and Aunt Faith's head came round the door. "Sorry to interrupt girls, but I've just received a phone call from next door and I'm afraid your parents want you to come back home."

Slowly, reluctantly Lexy stood up from where she had been sitting and headed downstairs towards the front door. Before she left the house, she turned towards Brook and invited him to come round and hang out together at her house tomorrow. "It'll be fun."

"Yeah, sure that sounds good. I'll come round tomorrow." Brook responded with a nod of his head.

Later that evening at the dinner table, Aunt Faith and Brook sat across from one another discussing Lexy's visit.

"So have you made a new friend?" Aunt Faith asked with a knowing look

" Yeah, at first I thought she was going to be really dull and boring but actually she seems a lot more fun now that I know her a little better and I'm actually looking forward to going round tomorrow to see her house. "

"Well I am glad you've made a friend and in such a sweet girl. Now come on help me tidy up, we made such a good team earlier."

As they tidied away their dishes into the dishwasher, Brook marvelled at the ease at how he formed a friendship with Lexy, back home it has always taken him time to feel that he had begun a friendship, yet with Lexy today it had felt much more natural even if she has attempted to get him to wear his sister's clothes from the wardrobe.
To make matters worse was the fact that not only were they his sister's clothes that she had forgotten to bring home with her last year, but that also due to them being twins who were yet to experience any sort of a growth spurt since last year he knew that they would fit him well.

So far the summer weather has been lovely, but you wouldn't think so today. Grey, grim clouds covered the sky as Brook opened his curtains and made his way downstairs to meet his Aunt moving around in a state which was unusual for her. Turning towards him, "Ah there you are Brook, I've just received a phone call from a friend of mine who needs my help, some sort of emergency she said, anyway she lives about 30 miles away or thereabouts so once you've finished your breakfast we need to leave all. Okay love."

30 minutes later, Brook found himself once again alone outside a strange front door. Taking in a deep breath in preparation Brook rang the doorbell.

Ring-ring!

20 seconds passed.

Then 30.

Then just as Brook was working up to ringing the doorbell again, the door opened, revealing an imposing looking man, who introduced himself as Lexy's father.

"Good morning." Let's father said.

With his broad chest, piercing blue eyes and close-cropped hair, Brook was slightly terrified of the man, especially since he had no idea of what he was like.

"Uh, I'm Brook I'm staying next door with my Great-Aunt Faith, your neighbor who's gone out to help her friend with an emergency. I'm here to see Lexy, we arranged for me to come round yesterday afternoon." Brook managed to stutter out.

"Daddy, stop scaring her. This is Brook, you know the one I was telling about last night." Lexy, who was now wearing an orange summer dress, pushed past her father and tightly seized hold of Brook's arm and pulled him with a lurch into the house. "Come on Brook, I want to show you my room."

"Don't worry Daddy, all your fishing buddies will be here soon, tell Mummy that we'll be up in my room." Lexy said to her father as she led Brook up the staircase. "Sorry about that I know he can be a little scary, its from all his military experience and his friends are late for their week long fishing trip, not that I know why anyone would want to go fishing in this weather."

"I see... Where's your mum?" Brook asked.

"Oh she's sorting out the lightning in the basement with Maggie, you'll be able to meet them both later." Lexy replied. "Here we go." Lexy opened the door and pulled Brook into the room before releasing his arm.

"What do you think?" Lexy asked.

Brook looked around her room, in one corner was an empty suitcase, but despite this the room was tidy. In one corner Lexy had a vanity desk, her bed in another corner, posters of various bands and pop stars covered the walls and against the far wall a bursting closet. Emily's room certainly reflected her personality.

"Its nice." Brook offered. "Very nice room you have here. So what shall we do now that I'm here?"

"Well I was thinking we could go outside, but now it's begun to rain we need an indoors activity to do. I know, for my last birthday my cousin gave me this karaoke set. I'm pretty sure I put it underneath my bed.

After a few moments of rummaging, Lexy emerged triumphantly with a karaoke set. "Got it, come and help me set it up." She instructed.
Over the next two hours the two teenagers sang and danced their way through karaoke classics like 'Sweet Caroline' and 'Mr Brightside' before transitioning towards the more recent pop songs such as 'Bad Habits' and 'Permission to dance'. Giggling madly to herself Lexy sedentarily lay down on the bed, "I'm done, finished, sung out. Sing me a song. Please Brook."

"Alright" smirked Brook at his friends silliness, "let's see what we've for here: 'One' no, 'Save your tears' maybe not, ah here we go."
At that Brook began serenading 'Latch' by Sam Smith. As he go finished, a blond women came in wearing overalls and followed by a Springer Spaniel jumping by her. "Down Maggie, down." She ordered before turning towards Brook. " Ah you must be Brook. Lexy was telling us all about you last night at the dinner table, it's lovely to meet you. I would've met you at the door but I had to sort out the electrics down in the basement. Still, if you girls are hungry I've prepared some lunch for you downstairs. "

After they had finished their sandwiches, Lexy's mum brought out some paint ing equipment and dramatically told them. "To let your imaginations free." The art of painting was an easy one that required little intense focus and one that allowed Brook and Lexy to talk. Everything was going well, until Brook stood up to get a glass of water from the kitchen sink and on his way back, Maggie dashed past him to bark at some innocent squirrel that had dared to enter the garden and tripped Brook over causing him to fall forwards onto the table which was covered in all the paint.
In an instant he was covered neck to thigh in wet, runny paint.
"Brook!" Left shouted as she hurried up to help, tearing off great strips of kitchen paper to hand him together they began dabbing him down futilely trying to remove the paint to prevent his clothes from being ruined.

"I'm so sorry Brook. " Lexy cried. "If it hadn't been for that stupid squirrel this whole mess wouldn't have happened and your clothes would not have been ruined. I can lend you some of my clothes if you like. "

" No, no that won't be necessary." Brook hurriedly reassured her. "Besides I think my Aunt left the back door open or something. So I'll be able to let myself in and get changed into some cleaner clothes."

But to Brooks dismay, he found the back door locked shut and with no key under the doormat not any other viable options available to him Brook had to go and tell Lexy the bad news.

"Oh that's terrible," said Lexy in dismay.

"Tell me about, I suppose I'm just going to.have to wear what I'm wearing until my Aunt gets back." Sighed Brook in defeat.

"No, you can't wear those wet, ruined clothes all day." Lexy paused. "... Though I suppose..."

"What?"

"Well as it stands you can't get your own clean clothes and you can't continue to wear those clothes either."

" Lexy, what exactly are you suggesting? "

"All you need are some dry comfortable clothes. So you could, just for today, borrow some of my clean clothes. "

"I don't think so Lexy. It's er a very nice offer but I don't think so. "

Lexy put her hands on her hips "Well what are you going to wear then?" She demanded.

"All right, all right. But I don't want to give me anything that I wouldn't normally wear okay." Brook backtracked hastily.

"Great." Lexy burst into a large grin. "First though, you need to wash that paint off. You can use the shower, I'll grab some clothes for you to wear and just throw those clothes outside. When you've finished come and meet me in the kitchen."

Inside the bathroom, Brook stripped down before wrapping a fluffy white towel around his chest then he deposited all of his ruined clothes outside in the ball before returning to the shower. Turning on the hot water, Brook began scrubbing off the paint with some soap Lexy had leant him. As heavy condensation formed in the mirror, Brook found himself relaxing and so he didn't see an arm coming around the door before placing down a rolled up bundle of clothes before withdrawing from the bathroom.

Patting himself dry, Brook came upon Lexy's selection of clothing for him and grimaced as he unrolled the pile of clothes. What Lexy has decided matched his style was actually far from it.
Brook made a face as he slipped into the padded console before he reluctantly slide up the white, tight panties that hid away any sign of a possible bulge between his legs.
The black leggings that Lexy had provided him with tightly hugged his thighs and butt giving the illusion of the beginning of a bubble butt that Brook would've found cute on any girl. Finally throwing on a floral shirt Brook examined himself in the mirror.
The clothes fit him perfectly and accentuated the semblance of curves that befitted a young teenage girl which combined with his painted nails and loose bun removed any sort of gender ambiguity that Brook could desperately hope to cling on to.

Brook trudged into the kitchen with slumped shoulders. As he entered he realised that Lexy must have been working hard to tidy away any sign of the painting.
Left squealed with delight.

"You look like so cute! Did I not tell you I had a good sense of fashion. You still look so casual, but now you look like such a cute girl. Come here next to me we look like sisters." Lexy exclaimed.

"Wonderful." Brook winced.

The rest of the afternoon was spent watching television together.

During supper, whilst Lexy and Brook were deep in discussion over their tv marathon, Lexy's mum was interrupted by the phone ringing.

"Hello?" She answered.

"Oh good evening Sophia, it's Faith speaking. Brook's great-aunt. Your next door neighbor. "

"Ah right, good evening then. Brook and Lexy are just eating their dinner now so there's no need to worry about her. They've gotten on so well together although there was a incident with some paint, so Lexy had to lend Brook some clean clothes to wear. But it's all sorted out. "

"Ah good, well I'm just ringing to let you know that my car has broken down. Rotten luck I know, but what it means is that I won't be able to get back until tomorrow afternoon. Do you think you could look after Brook until then?"

"Of course, Lexy will just have to lend Brook some nightwear that's all, I'm sure we have a spare toothbrush lying around somewhere and the girls have been getting on so well I'm sure they would love a sleepover. We'll see you tomorrow Faith. Don't you worry we will keep an eye on her."

" Thanks Sophia, that means a lot. Bye now, I have to go. Bye. "

Lexy's mum put down the telephone and headed towards the table.

"Sorry to interrupt girls, but that was Brook's Aunt Faith on the phone just now."

"Is she hurt?" Asked Brook as he jumped out of his seat.

"No no, there's no need to worry. She's fine the only thing is her cars broken down and she told me that she's not going to be back until tomorrow afternoon. So you will have to stay over tonight I'm afraid.

"Oh brilliant!" Excitedly exclaimed Lexy.

" Lexy! "

"Sorry mum," Lexy mumbled. " but on the plus side we get to have a sleepover! Isn't that great Brook. "

Brook was looking down at his feet. "I suppose." He murmured before Lexy smothered him in a comforting hug.

"It's going to be fine you'll see." Spoke Lexy into his ear.

A warm feeling grew inside his belly, before it sank like a stone.

"I haven't brought any night clothes with me, I don't have anything to wear during the night." He said as he removed himself from Lexy's embrace.

"Oh that's no problem, you can wear a spare pair of pyjamas from me tonight." Reassured Lexy.

" ... Thanks!" Gulped Brook.

Brook slept soundly that night wearing a long length baby blue satin chemise.

Rays of daylight broke through the blinds and danced like falling leaves upon Brook's face. He sat up on an unfamiliar bed, in an unfamiliar bed on the opposite side of the room to Lexy's empty bed.

Stretching his arms, Brook got out of bed and hurriedly out of the chemise he had had to sleep in and into the considerably less embarrassing clothes Lexy had given him yesterday, before heading downstairs for breakfast.
Where he found Lexy and her mum at the kitchen table, as he sat down Lexy's mum asked. "So what are you two up to today then?"

"Well mum, since it's such a nice day I was thinking of taking Brook down to the beach."

"Oh that's a nice idea Lexy." Said her mum. "Why don't you lend Brook that skirt you were complaining to me about last week? That would stop those leggings sticking to her legs in this heat. "

"Hey that's a great idea mum and it would go so well with that short you're wearing Brook." Said Lexy before she headed upstairs.

"That's very kind of you, but really there's no need to be so generous." Said Brook hastily.

"Nonsense." Said Lexy's mum. "Besides you need to wear cooler clothes in this heat. You'll be grateful for it when you get to the beach. "

"Here it is." Said Lexy as she reentered the kitchen holding a denim skirt. "What do you think they Brook cute isn't it?"

"Yeah I suppose so." Said Brook wishing he was having a bad dream and was about to wake up in a moment.

"Great, I'll pack the bag and after you finish your breakfast you can go and swap those leggings for this skirt." Smiles Lexy.

Twenty minutes later Lexy and Brook now wearing the denim skirt around his waist, found themselves each holding a yellow bus strap surround by noisy children, stressed mothers and packs of young adults who were all cramped tightly in a hot bus. Eventually the bus trundled to a stop and everyone diembarked.

"Finally we're here!" Gasped Brook as he took in the view of the seaside, "where shall we put our towels then? It'll be hard to find a space when the beach is so full "

"Silly Brook." Lexy innocently giggled, "my family have a beach cabin just up the promenade, you can get changed there."

"Changed!"

"Into your swimming costume of course."

"I didn't bring a swimming costume Lexy."

"Oh I know that's why I brought a spare swimming costume for you. Ah here we are, what do you think of my families beach cabin."

While Lexy searched in her bag for the key Brook took in the building facing them.
Cabin was too fine a word for what was essentially a hut painted to reflect the sea with a pocket fence which Brook felt brought a homely and rustic touch to the setting as Lexy opened the door and drew back the mottled green curtain to show Brook the primitive cooking system, against the opposite wall stood two body boards covered in the gaping jaws of a shark.

"Et voila." Said Lexy with a dramatic sweep of her arm. "What do you think? "

"It is very chic." Offered Brook.

Lexy flashed him a smile as to Brook's shock she in one fluid motion she pulled off her summer dress to reveal a polka dot one piece.

Oblivious to Brook's bright red cheeks, Lexy threw him her bag and said "I've packed you a swimming costume in there for you, come out and join me when you are ready."

Left alone in the beach but Brook gulped in anticipation as he opened the bag and withdrew a rolled up towel which contained a sapphire high neck one piece. Using some tape he found at the back of one of the cupboards Brook was able to pull back his privates into an even more private position before stepping into and pulling up the swimming costume, which he discovered had ruffles that covered his torso in a manner to conceal his lack of breasts.
After doing a few arm stretches to psych himself for what was to come, Brook drew back the curtain and headed to where Lexy was swimming subconsciously swaying his hips as he tugged down the short skirt that was attached at his waist.
Screaming at the sharp cold water, Brook dived in.
Thankfully nothing embarrassing emerged as Brook swam and played with Lexy which came with the added benefit of being able to covertly check out a cute girl in a bikini without her realising it. All Lexy assumed was that Brook was just comparing swimsuits. The hours flew by: they swam, lay in the sun where Brook felt the sun rays on his open back and ate their lunch with ice creams they bought from the busy vendor.
















































© Copyright 2021 Ester (esterbishop147 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2262574-An-easy-mistake