*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2262695-Friends-on-Enemy-Sides-Chapter-One
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Chapter · Fantasy · #2262695
Justice: There’s a Fine Line Between Friends and Enemies, But Boy do We Walk it Hard
Justice and Elizabeth were best friends since forever and all time, even as villains and heroes.

Justice has always been chaotic. The evil one. She loved arson, murder, the idea of being wicked, a femme fatale if you will.

Elizabeth was good. Chaotic, yes, but good. She loved the idea of being a hero, people loving her, an isekai-protagonist, if you will.

Despite this, the two were close friends. Always had been.

Here is the story of how friendship can survive the worst hardships.

⛦⛦⛦

Justice tapped at her phone, ignoring the pre-teens talking in the background. Maureen and Gracie were very annoying in her opinion.

Elizabeth poked her head into the room. “It’s ready!” she sang out.

Justice smiled at the girl, and followed.

Inside Elizabeth’s room, her makeup was spread out and her desk chair was next to her bed, in the minimal space available.

Justice sat down on the seat and waited as Elizabeth compared her foundation to my skin tone.

“It’s a shade too yellow.” she commented.

“So is my mom’s. I’m good at blending it in.” Justice flicked her wrist dismissively.

Elizabeth looked down, slightly upset, and Justice blushed slightly. Elizabeth loved makeup, and prided herself in her ability.

“Oh go ahead.” Said the villain-esque teen. She adjusted the crown she was wearing and sat back.

Elizabeth perked up and began her way over Justice’s face. Justice twitched her hand and zoned out.

She did that a lot, zoning out. Elizabeth knew it wasn’t personal. It wasn’t, really. Justice was just like that. Stuck in another world. One in her mind. Many in her mind, really. It was Justice, and that was who Justice was.

“What’s on your mind?”

“Do you ever get upset because we aren’t in a fantasy story?”

“Umm, yeah. I mean, you being the best friend of the main character who slowly and steadily falls into evil, but keeps the sympathy of the audience because she loses her morals, but keeps her ideals. And I’m the Main Character who regrets losing you and we finally end in a great battle that ends in either a mutual death or a great make-up.”

Justice nodded. This was a normal thing they talked about.

Elizabeth hummed as she worked. The two girls weren’t dressing as anyone in particular. Just themselves.

Elizabeth had her hair tied in a tight ponytail, and she looked stunning, a true hero. Justice knew she would not look near as elegant. More wicked. Cruel. Just how she liked it.

“Did you know different chemicals can make fire pretty?” Justice asked, tilting her head to the side.

“Don’t you already find fire pretty?” asked Elizabeth.

“Yeah, but this can make it green, or blue, or even gray!” Justice sounded so excited about it.

Elizabeth smiled. “Really?”

“Yeah. With magnesium sulfate, we can turn it white. Potassium chloride for purple. Lithium chloride for pink.”

This piqued Elizabeth’s interest. “You don’t say?”

“I do say.” Justice knew she had Elizabeth’s interest.

“What’s Lithium Chloride?”

“I think it’s a type of salt.”

“Oh…” Justice knew that wasn’t a no. Just her thinking. “Well, we can’t do it right now. However, I think that we should start simple. A candle, perhaps?”

Justice nodded.

Elizabeth sat back and smiled. “You look simply wicked.”

Justice smiled and turned to look in the mirror. She had a very well done smoky eye, deep red, bordering on black, lipstick, and you could barely see her acne. Briefly, for just a moment, her pupils became like cats, slitted and thin, but gold.

Justice started, and Elizabeth looked at her, confused. Her brownish-greenish eyes turned pure green for the briefest of moments when their eyes met in the mirror.

“What?” said Elizabeth, shocked. Something was off.

Justice adjusted her crown, a nervous habit. “Is this… the beginning of our fantasy story?”

“Stop sounding so happy. We probably just have some eye infection.”

“Well fuck you too.” Justice got out of her seat. “You wanna go roleplay Lila Potter?”

“Sure. Which year? 4th?”

“I kind of like 3rd, but sure.”

The two girls walked out of the room and through the living room to the backyard, left unawares of the pulsing magic that was still there, oozing light, pure light, and dark, pure dark.

⛦⛦⛦

Justice was back home. She was sitting at her computer, scrolling aimlessly through pinterest, Pretty Little Psycho coming through on youtube.

“Oh oh oh, oh here we go, walking talking like you know I want your pretty little psycho!” sang the teenager. She had taken off her crown, so she could wear her headphones,but it was still next to her, and her makeup was still on.

She flipped off and went to Docs. She had started writing a new murder mystery, adventure, romance.

‘We met at the first murder.’ Justice finally wrote.

Terrible. She thought. I love it.

As she wrote, she occasionally went on pinterest tangents, because if she was off the tab for too long, the tab would reload, and she didn’t like it when it did that because she lost all the pins she was looking at.

Of course, this led to minute long pinterest spirals, that almost always culminated in her looking for a fanfic, or look at the fanfics under a tag, on ao3.

Then Faith came in. Faith was Justice’s little sister. Without looking up, Justice called over. “Close the door.”

“I did. I’m not Maureen.”

Justice clicked her tongue and went back to her story.

By the time it was dinner, not much had happened in the story.

She went down the stairs and sat in the same seat she sat in every meal. And whenever she sat at the table. The one in the corner, next to the wall.

She slid her phone next to her in the small spot next to the wall and, in comparison to the doorway to the kitchen, behind some plants. Her parents wouldn’t see it, and, seeing as Maureen was turning on the TV, they were doing dinner theater. Which meant her parents would be on the couch.

She got up and went to get dinner from the kitchen.

Once she’d gotten it, he sat down in her seat again and waited.

She ate as quickly as possible, while still enjoying the food because it was goddamn chicken nuggets. She liked them.

After she finished, she went upstairs. Ever since school had ended for the year, she had been writing her book more and more. She had a feeling this one would be her first published work.

She sat at her desk and started to write more. Her Main Character was becoming more and more vengeful, while her secondary LI was too whipped to realize she was the murderer he was hunting, while her girlfriend, an author, failed to realize that her girlfriend was a murderer and that was how she got the information. It was a mess.

At some point, she’d moved downstairs to watch TV on the couch, now that everyone was upstairs asleep.

As she did that, she also kept up many conversations with her friends on Discord.

Just as she was arguing about how the reformation of the taxation system she had planned would greatly benefit the country, when the lights started flickering.

This was concerning as the lights had all been off downstairs a moment ago. She got up carefully and paused her show.

Now, Justice and Elizabeth were both Supernatural fans. This meant they both knew what to do in situations like this. Of course, Justice would have liked having her best friend there at the moment, as Elizabeth was the braver of the two girls. Justice hated most horror beyond SPN, and she only stayed with that because the internet had told her about Destiel beforehand.

She crept to the kitchen and grabbed the sea salt, sprinkling it around the door and windows downstairs. She looked around. She didn’t have a cross down here, so she couldn’t make any Holy Water, but she had iron.

A plastic Ikea cup fell off the table.

She grabbed a knife and held it out.

She heard a rustle behind her and a cloaked figure stood there.

“Hello. My name is Georgiana Asticia.” the cloaked figure held out a hand and the knife vanished from Justice’s hand to the cloaked figure’s. “I am here to escort you.”

“Escort me where?”

“You will see. If you have anything you wish to take, think of it and it will appear in this.” Georgiana held out a ridiculously small bag.

“What, does this have an undetectable extension charm?” So what, she was a Harry Potter nerd, sue her. Or, actually, don’t.

“Something to that effect. Thought, the AMAC disapproves of such copyright naming.”

“AMAC?” Justice said it how Georgiana had. As one word, though she was sure it was an acronym.

“American Magical Amalgamated Congress.”

“Amalgamated?”

“To mix or merge so as to make a combination; blend; unite; combine.”

“Oh. You do learn something new everyday.”

“Indeed.”

“So the magical government-”

“The American one.”

“Yeah, that was implied. Anyway, the magical government wants me to go with you?”

“Yes.”

“Okay, I may be a nerd, but that’s hard for even me to believe.”

Georgiana reached into her cloak and pulled out a laminated blank index card and double tapped it.

Out of the Index card bloomed an identification piece. Including a profile picture, and other information. It looked like a drivers licence. There were some other things on it, but Justice didn’t look at them when a hologram burst out.

“Hello Miss Asticia.”

“Hello MAGEmploy.”

“Mage Employ?” asked Justice. She said Employ differently, despite Justice seeing the spelling and knowing that the E was a part of the word Mage as well. Oh well, pronunciation was based on convenience sometimes. Okay, not a lot, but acronyms often did.

“It’s basically a magically enhanced digital assistant.

“Oh.”

“And it’s all one word. MAGEmploy.”

“Oh.” Justice quieted down.

“How can I help you?”

“Can you bring up my papers for collecting Miss Justice O’hanlon, Entity of Dark and Evil.”

“Gladly.”

“Did you say Entity of Dark and Evil?” Justice piped up.

Georgiana ignored her. “Also bring up the papers containing the retrieval information of Miss Elizabeth Web, Entity or Light and Good.”

“What are you talking about!?”

“You’ll see.”

“I’m not going anywhere till you explain.”

“No, we actually have an orientation planned for you.”

“Okay, I’ll go.” Justice grabbed the bag and thought of all of her Stuffed animals, her phone, her laptop, chargers for both, her entire library, her jewelry, jars, candles, and other similar things. Basically all of her personal stuff. The bag definitely felt heavier, and if it turned out this was a trick, she was gonna be so fucking pissed.

She waited as the files were pulled up, which took a strange amount of time for a magical entity, though based on how many layers of classification she saw Georgiana go through for them, it made sense.

“Sorry, these are really classified, since you are very powerful entities,”

“We’re what!?”

“the fact you’re even coming is a secret.”

“I have so many questions.”

“Fair enough.” Georgiana shrugged offhandedly as the papers were pulled up.

Justice took them and looked up at Georgiana. She then went to the table and started to examine the papers, looking over each and every word. It took her thirty minutes to finish. There were no things that seemed out of order. It was all valid.

“Very well. When will we leave?”

“Now. Your parents have been told you were selected by the government to go to a special program. You will still go to the same school, of course. We told them you would be picked up tonight.”

“That is kidnapping.”

“Agree to disagree.”

Justice sighed and looped the drawstring of her bag around her wrist, thinking of a handful of other things she almost forgot about getting earlier.

Georgiana reached out, making a clear gesture. She wanted her to follow.

Justice shrugged and grasped her hand. At this point, it could only help.
© Copyright 2021 Lady Imagination (ladyimagine at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2262695-Friends-on-Enemy-Sides-Chapter-One