*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2262772-The-Lucky-Barn
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2262772
Flash Fiction
The Lucky Barn

“This looks just the same as it did the first time we came here thirty years ago!” Hal said, excitedly as they walked into the bar.

“Oh?” said his wife, Susan, looking around, frowning a bit.

“Seriously, it’s like stepping back in time!”

“I’ve never been here before.”

“You just forgot, you know how you forget things,” failing to notice the look on her face, he went on, “it was before we got married. There’s the very booth we sat in.” He lead her over to a secluded booth, obviously favored by couples who wanted to be alone. “Yeah, this was the booth!” he added.

Just then the band started up, country music. “I hate country music,” Susan said.

“Huh, well maybe they had different music then... We weren’t listening to the music anyway... va va voom, if you know what I mean,” he said glancing at the booth where another couple were seriously paying attention to each other.

Susan, looked, and then frowned again in confusion.

Hal went on, “I wonder if they still make that drink the ah... what was it? Oh yeah! The Rumbo Bumbo! We got so drunk on that stupid drink!”

“I’m allergic to Rum.”

“And we... What? Oh yeah... Huh. Maybe you didn’t know about that then?”

“I found out when I was twenty-one... we got married when we were twenty four...”

“Oh yeah.”

“So, when did you come here? And with whom?”

“Oops... Tina Bradsworth, when we were twenty two...”

“Yuck!” they both said at the same time. Then they broke out laughing.

“Whatever happened to Tina?” Hal asked as they walked back to the car.

“Married, eight kids, runs the city council like a tight ship.”

“Well, I’m not the least bit surprised...” Hal said, putting his arm around his lovely wife.
© Copyright 2021 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2262772-The-Lucky-Barn