*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2263172-Ghanas-budget-for-2022-was-rejected
Rated: E · Article · Political · #2263172
The minority were against some of the new provisions so they voted against the budget.

For the first time in the fourth republic, a budget has been rejected.

Even though the Majority was not present to participate in the exercise, the Speaker stated that their absence would not hinder the House from carrying out its daily business. Since Ken Ofori- Atta's budget presentation, the Minority has promised to reject it, claiming that its passage will cause hardship for Ghanaians. The Speaker determined that the budget had been rejected following a head-count that saw all Minority MPs rise in opposition to a resolution calling for the Finance Minister to confer with the leadership of Parliament again.

Prior to the vote, the Finance Minister pleaded with the Speaker to enable him to continue his discussions with the House leadership on the budget. However, through a voice note, the MPs rejected the appeal. Alexander Afenyo-Markin, the Deputy Majority Leader, then contested the Speaker's decision and asked for a division (a method for MPs to vote while assuring that all non-MPs are removed from the lobby). As a result, the Speaker ordered that all non-MPs leave parliament to allow for this type of vote.

The Finance Minister, who was not a Member of Parliament at the time, was present in the chamber. The Minority MPs were against his attendance. They claimed Ken Ofori-Atta was a Minister and hence unqualified to be present in the parliament at that time.

The Majority sought Asiedu Nketia's expulsion from Parliament after discovering his presence in the public gallery. While the NDC MPs stayed composed, their opponents caused a ruckus by beating on the table and accusing the Speaker of partiality. In view of this, the leaders of the Majority (NPP) walked out of the house followed by all the members.

The Minority were left in the house and were up to the need quorum to make the decision concerning the activity of the day. Hence the voting was conducted.

Since the Finance Minister unveiled the budget on November 17, 2021, NDC MPs have committed to challenge it. They say that passing the budget will exacerbate Ghanaians' hardship.

The Minority Leader of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) has objected to the introduction of a 1.75 percent electronic levy in Ghana's budget. Haruna Iddrisu said it will further alienate the poor and undermine attempts to increase financial inclusion. At the end of the voting, the No's had it which lead to the rejection of the budget.

© Copyright 2021 Jeff_Ace (jephthah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2263172-Ghanas-budget-for-2022-was-rejected