*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2263210-Part-6-Chronicles
Rated: 18+ · Serial · Romance/Love · #2263210
I can take it all away - the feelings, break apart the pain and start the healing
When I opened my heavy eyelids, the newborn sun was raising its flaming head over the rippling horizon.

Gilded rays bounced over the dark ocean, frothy waves painted in glorious shades of reddish-gold, as though Midas himself had reached out and brushed the liquid expanse with his cursed touch. I inhaled sharply, half-blinded by the brilliant star and dumbfounded at its majesty. There was still some beauty to be found in this barbarous world, hidden among contorted intentions, shining through those wretched designs.

Yawning, I rubbed my eyes and nestled back against Vern's protective embrace. I didn't remember dozing off.

Frankly, it was a small miracle that I was able to even catch a few hours of sleep considering that I had recently escaped being a human pancake and was now several thousand feet in the air. Guess I was becoming accustomed to my new lifestyle. Now that's a scary thought.

"Are we almost there yet?" I mumbled, dully watching as a miniature whale surfaced below us and sprayed sea-water into a sparkling rainbow. For a moment, I wondered if I was still dreaming. Everything felt surreal in its serenity. Maybe I had died back there and this was my vision of the afterlife.

Vern grunted and shifted a limb behind my back. "Not quite, sleepyhead. Might be... a few more hours?"

I wrapped my slender arms around his neck, burying my embarrassed face in his chest. "I'm sorry, by the way... I never should have doubted you for a moment."

"To be fair, I kinda didn't do myself any favors by hiding the truth." He admitted.

Lifting my head, I gazed up at those hybrid features, angelic and demonic qualities combining into a mesmeric countenance. What else was altered, I wondered? The old Vern would never have been so quick to own up to mistakes. He caught me staring as I bashfully shifted my attention elsewhere, acting intrigued by an odd cloud formation.

A few moments passed until I picked up the conversation where we'd left it. "Making me put it all together really pissed me off... but it was noble of you to stick it to Lilith the way you did." I snuck another peek at him beneath my raven locks.

"Keep those compliments comin'. I love hearing how awesome I am." Vern winked with devilish flair.

I shook my head, laughing at his arrogance. "There's the jerk I remember. You really haven't changed beneath that new makeover."

"Not in the slightest." He chuckled as I settled back in his arms, intent on savoring this treasured moment, closing my eyes and letting the gentle breeze tango with my wild hair. It was going to be a beautiful morning.

A freezing raindrop struck my face, leaving a stinging trail in its wake. I flinched, glancing up at the darkening clouds. Thunder rumbled in the distance, echoing over the ocean as a cold wind blew.

Vern's face shifted from cheeky smugness to growing concern. "Hold on," He warned. "This ride might get bumpy."

Another drop fell on his nose, spattering over me. Then a third followed. Before long, the skies opened up in a frigid deluge, pelting us with fury as we traveled over stormy seas. I began wishing I'd chosen a rain jacket over the winter coat which offered little protection against the frigid monsoon. The fleecy fabric clung to my body, sapping heat as it quickly soaked through to the bone.

A clap of thunder boomed nearby, making me jump. "Easy, kid," Vern grunted. "You're a bit slippery at the moment."

I held onto him tighter, not wanting to find out if he'd be able to catch me a second time. The sky flashed, illuminating the murky haze above as lighting danced in the heavens. He said something to me, words lost in a deafening roar.

"What?" I shouted, ears ringing, half-filled with water pouring from my dripping scalp.

Vern panted, flying unsteadily. "My... wings..."

I peered at the shadowy appendages, momentarily confused what he meant. Then I understood, dread dawning as I saw his feathers were as drenched as I was, weighing us down. He struggled against the cloudburst, losing altitude with each flap.

The crashing waves were thousands of feet below, but how long would the storm last? Could he hold out against the elements? It was impossible to know how far we had left until land was in sight. A few hours, he said. Practically a lifetime in this relentless tempest. Fear gripped my chest with icy tendrils, squeezing breath away. I clung on to Vern as he bravely soldiered on, becoming more and more exhausted with each push.

Rain lashed at us, unsympathetic in its desire to reach the frothing brine beneath. I brushed slick tresses out of my eyes, wet fibers sticking to my skin as I desperately searched for something to save us from our peril. An island, a passing boat, anything we could take refuge on.

All I could see through my blurry vision was miles and miles of murky water, liquid hands curling, eagerly beckoning to come closer so they could swallow us whole.

Vern wheezed, dripping with sweat. Or was it rain? It was impossible to tell in the torrential downpour. He couldn't speak, grimly focusing on keeping us airborne for as long as possible.

Just as I was about to resign myself to a watery grave, an eerie sound cut through the atmosphere. An haunting moan, rising in unholy timbre as it cried mournfully. It reminded me of what whales sound like... except this was far from any creature I'd ever heard. Vern reacted to it with shock. His maroon eyes widened, searching for the source of that ghastly voice.

And then, I spotted it.

A oval shape emerged from the clouds, wreathed by lightning. For a moment I thought it really was a whale, its massive bulk descending like a weightless mammal swimming through the air. Then my vision cleared, revealing glowing green portholes and jagged lances protruding from a wooden shell. An airship. I blinked in amazement as the mysterious vessel drifted away from us.

Something was holding it aloft. An oddly shaped balloon with details I couldn't quite discern. Then a thunderbolt crackled over the barge, revealing the vile source of its flying capabilities.

The bloated carcass of a rotting giant hovered over the ship, milky eyes bulging, peering out at the ocean as another howling cry erupted from its putrid mouth. It was hairless, dark veins webbed the peeling skin. Bulbous leeches slithered over the naked body, pulsing as they fed on the distended carcass. Rusted links wrapped around turgid hands, sausage-like fingers jutting outward, oozing yellow pus from cracked nails. The corroded chains were bolted to the vessel's frame, supporting the ship as the enormous corpse expelled foul gases from its head.

Hunched figures were scurrying about the deck, tugging on ropes that guided the giant towards an unknown destination. Demons, busying themselves with some infernal orders. Was this part of the invasion?

Vern altered course, veering towards the nightmarish transport. I shouted at him. "What the hell is that thing?"

He shook his head at me, gritting teeth as he breathed heavily, spurring himself to chase after the sinister ship. I hoped my guardian knew what he was doing. Although we were in dire straits, I wasn't sure if I wanted a closer look at the thing or to see if it was friendly.

Thunder exploded, arcs of wild electricity forking beside us. The acrid scent of ozone lingered in the air, buzzing on my tongue before the rain washed it away. I gasped for breath, nearly choking as the storm intensified.

Vern faltered, a hiccup in the cadence of his wing beats. We dropped like a stone, my stomach lurching as numb fingers gripped him with white-knuckled anxiety. Then he growled, sodden feathers striking the moisture-laden air in a herculean effort to regain lost footing. We bounced upward a fraction. Another snarl, another inch.

I shivered against him, a bedraggled bundle of soggy nerves.

Foot by painstaking foot, we gradually gained on the airship, close enough to distinguish rows of worn sigils carved into the structure. Symbols, pictograms, ancient hieroglyphs from an unbeknownst era glistened as rain trickled over the weathered boards, seeping into a history I couldn’t fathom.

Silhouettes slunk behind the glowing portholes, twisted demonic forms busying themselves with wretched labors. If they peered outside, we were in plain sight, sitting ducks for whatever twisted amusements they had in store. Or maybe we'd be hauled back to see Lilith again.

Vern hissed, pain racking his aquiline features. The unsteady rhythm worsened. He redoubled efforts, chest heaving as ragged breath steamed. I murmured words of encouragement, unable to do much else but offer hollow cheer in my desperation. Was it helping? I couldn’t tell.

Javelins protruded from the hull, threatening to skewer us as we came within arms reach. A horizontal fin lined the ship, a short strip of wood that Vern aimed for, scrabbling against the unforgiving storm and his own feeble strength.

He landed on the timber surface. Feet slipped, wings faltered, arms shook as we slid off, back out into the howling atmosphere. I screamed, knowing we were going to plummet down to the sea, submerged in a world of breathless darkness, watching the surface fade away.

Vern twisted, lunging back towards the slab. Arms released my back and legs, leaving me dangling precariously from his neck. He grabbed the corner, muscles straining, nails clawing for purchase as he pulled us over the rim and onto the slimy boards. Gasping for breath, my savior paused for a moment.

A second was all it took for the strong gales, mercilessly tugging us towards the edge again.

Snatching hold of an iron spike, he yanked it, pulling us close to the hull where a slight notch was etched into the frame. We took refuge in that little alcove, like a pair of drowned rats.

There was no desire for celebration. I felt drained from the harrowing experience, Vern doubly so, hacking violently as he slumped against the ship. We held each other, comforted by a symphony of creaks and groans emanating from the bizarre aircraft.

Teeth chattered behind my blue lips. I quivered uncontrollably, rubbing unfeeling hands together for a spark of warmth. Noticing my plight, Vern shook the excess moisture from his wings and swathed me in them.

They were damp but snug. A faint animal smell clung to the feathers, reminding me of a wet dog. I didn’t mind. The makeshift cocoon gradually warmed my freezing limbs as I leaned against his burning chest. I could feel Vern’s heart thumping powerfully, his hot breath wafting onto my neck as I snuggled closer.

Faint wisps of steam rose between his feathers. Rain blew into the alcove, but less fiercely than outside and it didn’t pierce my substitute blankets.

We stayed motionless for a time. Only when breath slowed and the initial shock wore off were we able to bask in relief. I ran my fingers over his dark plumes, feeling the soft pinions which replaced the leathery membrane he had before.

Vern squirmed slightly. “That tickles.”

“Sorry,” I withdrew my curious touch, shameful heat rising in my cheeks. “Didn’t mean to.”

“No it’s fine. Just a bit weird to get used to.” He chuckled, mirth shifting to a cough.

“Wish you could have just portaled us home.” I sighed wistfully. “But you’re a bit easier on the eyes now, so it’s not all bad.”

“Ha, that thought did cross my mind a few times. Ain’t easy being gimped...” He wheezed, flashing me a regretful smile. "Damn, I'm outta shape. All that teleportin’ got me lazy."

“I’d say you did pretty good, all things considered.” I resumed playing with his feathers, a bit more tentatively this time. He didn’t complain at my fidgeting.

Instead, Vern grabbed a handful of his long burgundy curls and began poking me with the ends. “See how you like it,” He grinned.

I shied away, giggling as the hairs tickled my neck and ears.

Lightning divided the clouds before us as the storm roared, startling us both. After a moment, I settled back with a nervous laugh. For a few moments, I’d forgotten where we were, nestled in his protective embrace. We fell silent, observing the storm as it gradually slowed to a drizzle, now little more than a nuisance.

It wouldn’t be long before Vern felt strong enough to resume our travels, but a strange desire crept into my heart. I didn’t want to move. Partially because of the coziness I felt, swaddled in comforting warmth like laying under soft blankets on a wintry day. But also because it felt nice to be back in Vern’s presence, sharing an intimacy I hadn’t experienced before, extremely aware of our close proximity.

I glanced up, meeting his maroon eyes. “Can I ask you something?”

He shrugged. “Shoot.”

"How'd you come back?"

Pursing his lips, the fallen angel paused a moment to choose the best way to explain. "Usually it's end of the road. Or reincarnation as some low level imp, but they wanted me good and dead so I saw the darkness and figured I had a good run. Next thing I know, I'm hanging out with this old fart named Pete. He's all confused, see? Says he never saw a case like this before, so he calls his boss on the phone and they're whispering back and forth for a few minutes while I'm stuck in this white room."

"You almost got into heaven?" My jaw dropped, unable to believe what I was hearing.

"Nah, security was onto me right away. That's what Pete was. He's a sharp one, ain't nobody pulling a fast one on him."

Transfixed by the tale, I goaded him to finish. "So what happened next?"

"Well," Vern rubbed his smooth chin. "Pete comes back and says I've been reassigned to Limbo. I go, that doesn't sound right. He says it came from on high. I tell him I want to go back to Earth cuz I got unfinished business. He insists orders are orders. But get this, Pete leans in close and tells me that I just have to show up at Limbo and hang around for a bit until they start the Last Judgement. He figures whatever happens after that is up to me. I say, cool. Then he says I'm getting a bit of a promotion, depending on how I look at it. I say for what, I didn't do nothing. Pete shrugs and says since Hell don't want me and I ain't getting through the pearly gates, I might as well get something in between. So after that I mosied around Limbo for a bit and came back soon as I could."

"That's... quite a story. After what happened, I never thought I was getting you back."

"Ha, ya ain't getting rid of me that easy!" He ruffled my hair until I told him to quit.

“Anyway," I laid my head on his shoulder and asked my biggest question yet. "Why’d you do all this? You know - ignoring orders, rescuing me, putting your life on the line. The other demons aren’t like that. I’ve met a few and they’re awful.” I laid my head on his shoulder and asked my biggest question yet.

Vern looked away, suddenly interested in examining the ship. “Guess ya rubbed off on me, kid.”

“Thought I wasn’t special,” I frowned, unsatisfied by the dismissive response.

He turned back and gave me a strange look, gently brushing wet hair out of my eyes with a bruised hand. “You’re not… but to me you are.”

Deja vu washed over me, an unshakable sensation that I’d been here in this situation before, not on a demonic airship but at a kitchen with a brown-haired boy. My heart fluttered, trying to leap out of my chest and escape. For the first time, I looked at my guardian in a different light, a new angle that felt both terribly wrong and yet… strangely fitting. Could it be...? After all this time?

Vern’s head bowed, mere inches from my own. I swallowed, tongue suddenly parched, throat closing up as my guts twisted in knots, frightened by this juncture of our lives while delighting in it as a dreaded, delicious anticipation swelled. My eyes slid shut. Whatever happened in that darkness, I couldn’t bear to see. It wasn’t right but I wanted this, hated it, desired it, loathed, wished, feared, hoped, dreamed…

A bone-shaking vibration broke my reverie as the vessel shuddered. The moment was shattered. Vern pulled away, shame shrouding his face before he squinted at the clouds.

“We’re landing, I think.” He remarked.

I pulled my whirling thoughts together, intent on burying that Pandora’s box that opened up within me, struggling to process what had just occurred.

“Huh,” I observed, forcing a casual tone that was a bit too high. “That was awfully quick.”

“Well you know what they say. Time flies when you’re having… uh, fun.” Vern coughed. The shadowy cocoon slid away, heat quickly vanishing as the rushing wind whipped at me once more. He rose and extended a hand. I took it, climbing to my feet as I sorrowfully acknowledged our brief respite was always destined to end.

But the time had come to face reality, like it or not.

Unfurling his thick wings, Vern effortlessly scooped my legs up in one arm while supporting my upper back with the other.

The frigid air slashed my face, making me wince as I retreated from it. We were descending through the cloud layer, traveling over a bustling city where tiny airplanes were circling a nearby airport like a swarm of angry hornets. A filmy layer of smog hung above the concrete jungle, obscuring all but the largest of buildings.

A horrible moan drifted on the uncaring breeze. Vern took this as a cue, swooping from his perch as he dove towards the barge's stern. The creaking vessel passed us by, journeying toward an unknown destination. We slunk in its shadow until it was safe enough to take cover in the cloud layer above.

I peered over Vern's shoulder, squinting through the ivory haze.

The dead giant groaned, exuding noxious gases as it deflated like a humanoid balloon, falling a few dozen feet as the chains jerked, making the ship quake. As I watched in disbelief, the dark green gases seemed to sink rapidly, outpacing the vessel as it mirrored their descent.

"What the hell is that?" I gasped.

Vern took a shaky breath and sighed. "Pestilence. One of the Horsemen."

The olive colored breath was now mixing with the city's pollution, turning it into a fog that resembled a sickly pea soup. I didn't ask what would happen to the innocents who inhaled that foul miasma, Vern's expression told me I was better off not knowing.

"Is there still time to stop this? Can we save them?" I asked fearfully.

A ghost of a smile haunted his face. "I don't have all the answers, kiddo. But I hope so, I really do."

Several leeches slid off of the corpse, tumbling down to the buildings below. I grimaced and turned away, the image of those squirming slugs burned into my brain. Would they find someone else to feast on? Or would they wither up, wasting away without a food source?

Since that we managed to reach the Eastern coast, Vern made a beeline for home. Neither of us were conversationalists. I didn't feel like talking, much less distracting my pilot when he needed to focus. It was just as well. There was an odd tension between us now, an unresolved feeling from our almost kiss. Maybe it wasn’t even that. He could have been aiming for my forehead, a platonic gesture I was overthinking.

Yeah, that was it. Just misread the moment, was all. I shifted gears, wondering about the Horseman we hitched a ride on.

My mind kept replaying the scene of Pestilence coughing up some awful plague onto unsuspecting citizens, wondering what hideous symptoms they'd experience. Visions of people choking in the streets as painful boils erupted over their bodies, doctors bandaging patients whose limbs withered away, waxy skin peeling off, bloodshot eyes rolling in abject terror, souls imprisoned inside diseased husks with no rational explanation.

Would I be able to stop everything? If the worst possible outcome was befalling the earth, could I reverse the changes? My teeth gnawed at my fingernails until the taste of iron and salt coated my tongue. I pulled them out, inspecting self-inflicted wounds as the freezing air cauterized the bite marks. How long did I have left? Or perhaps the better question, how long did everyone else have till judgement day began its long awaited genocide?

While I wrestled with uneasy questions, the rolling plains below began rising into grassy hills and forested mountains. Gradually, Vern began coasting towards terra firma. Now each wafting gust was warmer than the last one, every breath I took was richer and fuller as oxygen-starved lungs grew more satisfied with the air quality.

"Won't be long now," He grunted. I started to recognize familiar landmarks, albeit from an angle I'd never viewed them from.

Blue Hills Park, where I spent countless childhood afternoons hiking with my father. The gentle slopes of the Taconic Mountains beckoned, a place I learned to ski many winters ago, using Vern to catch a bit more air on jumps than was humanly possible. On my right, the waters of Boston Harbor shimmered beneath the midday sun. I morosely watched as they faded into the distance, recalling times I dipped my toes into those murky waters.

A lifetime of memories passed under me. Happier days I'd give anything to return to, even if just for a short while.

At least one thing came back. I glanced up at Vern, feeling indescribable relief that I didn't have to face this alone anymore. Even if it all went to shit, at least we'd do it together. Just like old times.

When I snapped out of my thoughts, the town of Salem was beneath us. The rooftops were close enough that I could have reached out a hand and brushed those peaked roofs. Vern paused a moment to get his bearings and began weaving through the streets towards a house he'd only visited once.

Something odd was happening in the streets. Was it a festival? A holiday I forgot during the whirlwind events of my life? As we approached, I instantly understood those thoughts were merely hopeful wishes. The grim reality was much, much worse.

People filled the roads, crowding alleyways and obscuring sidewalks: doctors, waitresses, construction workers, lawyers, mothers, teachers, grandparents, mechanics, nurses, police officers, accountants, dentists, gardeners, all staring glassy-eyed off into space. Not a single soul moved, a community of living statues. Familiar faces popped up amidst that silent assembly, classmates I'd studied with, the boy who worked at the convenient store, even the old lady who always greeted me on her morning walks. Their blank expressions were unsettling, as though they were nothing more than fleshy mannequins.

“What in the nine Hells is this?” Vern wondered, warily watching the motionless congregation as we flew overhead. Our shadow drifted, catching the eye of a small boy. His little head snapped up. A chubby hand rose, pointing at me as he hissed.

One by one, the townspeople began to follow suit, holding up an accusing finger with a sibilant cry. Their probing digits tracked us through the sky, eyes glittering with ill-intent, faces contorted, no longer human but grotesque shells, malevolent entities wearing ordinary people like clothes.

“Uh, Vern?” Concern wavered in my voice, not knowing how to react to this unusual welcome party.

“I have eyes, too.” He grumbled, doubts plaguing his features. “And no, I got no idea what’s going on and I don’t like it.”

We cut across a packed lane, skipping over avenues until an unmistakable dwelling was within sight. Vern swooped down and landed on the porch roof. I slipped out of his arms as he sighed, giving weary wings a long deserved break. Break, that would have been nice. Visions of a hot bath and some good tea swam before me, a delightful decompress after this arduous journey. But there was no time to waste.

I knocked on the bathroom window, hoping he'd hear me. "August?" I called out tentatively.

Once again, I was haunting the proverbial doorstep of the cheery little home where I shared a tearful farewell. I wondered what August would say to my sudden arrival, after conveying what I thought would be the final goodbye. Inside, the bathroom door opened. My heart leapt momentarily, tongue swelling up in my mouth as a frazzled brain scrambled around trying to find what I'd say to him.

I needn't have worried. Laila limped over, glaring through a mottled patchwork of bruises. She opened the window and scowled. "Back so soon? Bet you've come to finish the job." One hand clutched her wounded side, where a golden stain oozed through her angelic robes. The other gripped a divine sword in preparation for another bout.

Vern groaned, still flexing his sore wings. He glanced at Laila dismissively, stretching as he winced at the exertion. "I didn't start nothin'. Besides, looks like someone already worked ya over pretty good. I'm not one for sloppy seconds."

She narrowed her baby blue eyes, looking my guardian up and down. "What in heavens name is this nonsense? You're no demon. And yet... the stench of hell hangs about like an unwelcome guest."

Vern shrugged. "Got me some friends in high places. S'not whatcha know but who ya know, right?"

"Whatever your allegiance, you'll find no allies here." Laila sniffed.

"I'm on a different side, Team Bell," He gestured at me with his thumb. "We're working on the name. Anyways, all we want is a chat. Now can you put that blade away? You're liable to hurt yourself with a toy like that."

Bristling at his words, she glared daggers at us for a moment. Then the angel relented with a weary sigh. "Lord give me strength," She muttered. "Make it quick. Judgement Day is nearly upon us and I'd rather not be in the company of sinners when the Rapture happens."

We clambered inside, following behind as she limped downstairs to the living room. August was seated on the paisley couch, eyes glued to the TV where local news replayed footage of missiles bombing hospitals and civilian homes. Shaggy brown hair whirled when he heard our footsteps, hazel eyes widening in shock.

"Bell!" August cried jubilantly and leapt off the sofa to give me a bear hug. "I didn't think you'd come back."

"Me either," I smiled before giving him a deep kiss that made Laila's eyes roll in disgust.

When we parted, I shot a glance at Vern. He looked away quickly, hiding his face. But for a split second, I glimpsed a look of sadness tugging at his eyes, which made me feel inexplicably guilty. The unpleasant emotion deepened when considering the boy holding me, as if I was being dishonest with him, though nothing had occurred to justify my turmoil. I kissed August again, hoping the act would wash away the lingering doubts.

Vern shuffled his wings awkwardly and turned to his winged compatriot. "So," He said to the angel. "You catch the game last night? Who won, the Saints or the Devils?"

She snorted in derision. "What kind of question is that? You know what the end result is going to be."

August released me and looked at Vern in surprise. "I'm sorry, I don't think we've been introduced. Are you Bell's.... angel?"

My guardian bowed dramatically, never passing up a chance for theatrics. "Of sorts. You can call me Vern. Pleased to meetcha, Auggie. Heard quite a bit about ya."

I watched them shake hands, feeling strange about the whole scene. This was definitely one for the books, my resurrected ex-demon guardian slash best friend meeting my boyfriend and his holy protector. If you told me this would happen a week ago, I'd think you were taking crazy pills.

"So uh," August began. "We're kinda in the middle of a world war at the moment. Everyone's waiting for someone to get itchy trigger fingers and push that final red button. Nuclear holocaust wasn't exactly on my summer plans..."

"He's been busy," Vern muttered, watching the TV with morbid interest.

"Who?" I frowned.

"War, of course." He pointed to a shape lurking above a battlefield, an unknown creature hidden in the smoke. "The Horsemen are prowling now, won't be long before they start heading over to the Valley of Meggido."

The name was lost to me. But it had a visceral reaction with Laila and August. She looked quite excited over the prospect. He, on the other hand was horror-struck, having to lean against the couch for support.

"Meggido?" I questioned.

"The final battlefield," August whispered. "Written in the Book of Revelation." His alarmed eyes glazed over, lost in thought.

"So we'd better get a move on, right?" I turned to Vern. "I thought you said you figured out a plan."

He nodded, still watching the news. "Aye. It's a bit of a long shot, but it's the only chance we got."

"As if anything you can do would stop the Almighty plan he created." Laila snorted, crossing her arms defiantly.

"Oh yeah?" Vern cocked an eyebrow. Then he told us exactly what he learned during his time in Limbo, where lost souls congregated as they awaited judgement. A few of those specters had some interesting things to share, it seems. But the plan was a bit risky, even by his standards.

The angel stood aghast, mouth open in utter shock. "You aren't serious, are you? That... that's preposterous! Who says it could even work?"

August was dumbstruck as well. I wanted to laugh at the idea, thinking it was one of Vern's jokes but his face had never been more deadly serious.

"This is the best thing you came up with?" I asked.

He nodded. "Aye."

I bit my lip, considering the options before assenting to the idea. "Alright then. I'll do it. You didn't come back from the dead for nothing, right? So I'm on board. August?"

He plopped on the couch, looking dazed. "I mean... it's crazy as hell but I guess it's our only shot."

Vern clapped his hands. "Then we're in agreement."

"Wait a minute, I never said I was going along with this harebrained scheme of yours." Laila snapped.

Undeterred, Vern cocked an eyebrow. "If you wanna stay behind, we get it. You wouldn't be of much use with a bum wing and a messed up arm anyways."

I tried not to burst out laughing once I realized what he was doing.

"You demons are just the rudest bunch, you know that? I'm going and that's only to keep an eye on you two from getting August into more trouble." She growled.

Vern and I shared a glance as he rubbed his face, hiding that signature shit-eating grin. Laila played right into his hands. I felt a bit bad for her, it was almost too easy.

"There's just one problem," Vern sighed. "We're gonna need some wheels."

August's eyes lit up. He rubbed his hands excitedly. "I think I have just the thing you need. Or rather, my dad does."
© Copyright 2021 Ray Scrivener (rig0rm0rtis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2263210-Part-6-Chronicles