*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2263390-What-For----WC-293
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2263390
Times change, but in some ways stay the same.
“What For!”
WC 293



Grant had seen it all.

“I remember when people were polite and had compassion for others.”

“Oh, Dad, they still do. You’re just being a scrooge.”

Grant’s daughter was young and had a lot to learn.

“Sweetheart, it’s not like it used to be. Trust me.”

Before she could interrupt, he continued.

“Where’s the respect for old folks like me? Who holds doors open anymore for strangers? How many say, "please" and "thank you?" Oh, I could go on, but I won’t.”

“Well, Dad, I don’t agree.”

“Okay, Debbie, let’s go shopping.”

“Go shopping?”

“Christmas shopping, just so you can see.”

Once they got to the crowded mall, Grant said to his daughter, “I’m sorry honey, but the first person who mouths off, is going to get 'What for!’”

“What does 'What for!' mean, anyway?”

“I don’t know. My dad used to say it when he was ready to give me a licking.”

A young woman bumped into Grant.

“Here we go,” he said under his breath.”

“Oh, I am so sorry, sir," she said and walked on.

"See, Dad?"

"Oh, big deal. One person."

“Let’s get Starbuck’s," Debbie said as she opened the door to the coffee shop.

A teenage boy cut in front.

“Here we go,” Grant said.

The boy stopped and said, “Oh, gosh, my mind is somewhere else. I’m so sorry,” and let them go first.

This type of politeness was on display for the entry shopping trip.

Grant and his daughter walked toward the exit along with thirty other people.

“So, Dad, what do you think? Going to give the next person that bumps into you 'What for?'"

“No, honey, my faith in humanity has been restored. I think I’ll just smile and tell them to have a nice day.”
© Copyright 2021 jackiesmuse (jackiesmuse at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2263390-What-For----WC-293