*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2263688-Fred-or-Thor
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Monologue · Cultural · #2263688
Evolutionary battles rage within our own psyche. Monogamy is good, but is polygamy bad?
In a modern society, or in any society for that matter, human beings make choices that determine our direction. War, peace, cultivate, wander...build vast cities or lessen our footprint. These choices will ultimately determine the survival or demise of our species.

However, as individuals, we make choices on two levels, conscious and subconscious. We like to think 'we' are in charge, yet we often wonder why we didn't choose differently after making certain decisions. What we have for lunch is of no concern to the subconscious unless we are battling an eating disorder or simply want a healthier lifestyle. On the other hand, the type of person we date or marry is very much on the radar of the subconscious...and the irony is that these two types may not always be the same.

Long ago, before we became civilised or developed such high morality, we weren't much different than we are today. Birth control changed everything when it came to sexual freedom for women, but if we strip back human desires, things like procreation and what it means to have a family were no different then as they are now.

We are taught...even programmed, to believe that monogamy is the decent way to live, and this choice certainly has its merits.

Fred is a great provider and would make a dedicated and loving father, but Thor has that certain something. DNA that would produce strong offspring, who might one day become great leaders.

Fred is nice, attentive and considerate, but there is something about Thor...and before we acquired these morals, there was no reason why she couldn't have them both. In fact, today, there is still no reason why she can't, except for conditioning, the judgement of society, and perhaps a very unhappy Fred if he found out about Thor and his girl (and of course, if she decided honesty was not the best policy, DNA testing, which would well and truly throw a spanner in her works).

Thor wouldn't hold a candle to Fred when it comes to fatherly duties because he would be off fighting battles and being a hero while she was left at home holding the baby...but still, those muscles are on her mind, even after she settles for Fred as the best choice in the long run.

We are, of course, beyond that kind of primitive evolutionary approach, and there is so much more to attraction than muscles, bravado and killer good looks...once over a certain age, that is.

© Copyright 2021 Dr Gonzo (neilfury at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2263688-Fred-or-Thor