*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2263850-Its-a-Wonderful-Life
by brom21
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Holiday · #2263850
A man discovers wealth is not all it seems.
The starry night held Travis’s gaze as he sat on a chair set on his veranda. He beheld the brightest star in the sky and wished upon it. What he would give to be rich! I wish I was wealthy he thought. He knew what he did was child’s lure but he held onto the ritual up to his adulthood.

“Supper time, Hon,” said a woman’s voice behind him.

Travis stood and walked into his modest stone home and sat at a round wooden table with his wife and two young boys.

“Father, what do you think of when you look at the stars?” asked the younger son.

“I ponder a desire of mine, Brian. It is not something I desire to discuss,” Travis said as he dipped his spoon into his bowl of porridge. “I will say it affects all of you and not just me.”

Travis stood and sighed. “I will retire early tonight.”

“You have not eaten your supper,” said Travis’s wife.

“I am not that hungry, Susan. Good night my wife,” Travis said as he kissed her on the forehead then went to his room. He lay on his bed looking at the wooden ceiling. “Oh, Lord, if only,” he said.

Travis found himself before a man in a shining robe with wings. Next to him was a doorway with azure light illuminating a square room Travis was in.

“God has heard your plea. If you truly desire your wish, step through this doorway and all shall be changed,” said the angel.

Travis stepped closer to the door and stopped. “Is this a dream?

“Indeed. But when you awake, the alteration will be real.”

Travis smiled and barged through the doorway. He opened his eyes to see a roof of polished red stone. It was real! The bed he laid in was full of stuffed, silk pillows and sheets. He threw them off and swung out of bed onto a carpeted floor.

He walked out of a polished oak door and out onto a balcony. Travis beamed with a broad smile as he descended a staircase and onto a long hallway with three doors. Another hall led to a large living space where his two boys sat on a wide leather couch before a long hearth.

“Good morning father,” the two boys said in unison.

“Hello, sons!” Travis said as he passed them by into a long kitchen where poached eggs, sausage, hashbrowns and fresh sliced oranges sat on a square table. Giddiness filled him as he went to the front door and walked outside.

A personal coach stood ready on a wide courtyard. He looked down the cobblestone street at meager homes like the one he used to live in. Now things were different!

Travis hopped into the carriage and told the coach driver to take him for a trip around the block. People stared at him, obviously in envy. After more parading his wealth, Travis went back home.

“Welcome back, hon. I am going to the Smith’s house to visit. Goodbye.”

The Smith’s had always been wealthy. It seemed like Susan cared more about socializing than seeing him in the morning. Travis shook himself from the thought and sat down to eat breakfast with his sons. They ate in silence and said nothing like” How are you feeling” or “I love you.” His boys were preoccupied with their own thoughts.

It pricked Travis in his heart. “How are you, Brian?”

“I am well father. And you?” Brian said.

The response was short and superficial. Usually, this question spurned conversation and transparency. Travis looked down. “What about you Derek?” he said to his older son.

“Splendid father. May I go horse riding with Lucas, after school?”

School! They were well off enough to afford school! “Of course, son.”

Brian and Derek rose and dashed out the door. Again, they said no words of love or goodbye.

There he was, all alone in his big house. He folded his hands and contemplated. Affection from his family was worth more than all this. Still, he was adamant of his choice. He walked outside and went down a block to say hi to his good friend Markus. “Hello there, my friend!”

Markus gave a strange look and nodded. “Hello, mister Travis.”

That was it? How cold. It was obvious in this reality they were not friends. The fact made him tear up. He turned back the way he came and shut himself in his house. It was all wrong. Travis did not want such a life.

He went to is bed and thought things over and soon drifted into a sleep. He stood before the same angel holding a giant pearl.

“Please, help me! I want my old life back!” said Travis.

“If you truly repent of your foolishness, take this pearl, which symbolizes your wealth, and break it,” said the angel.

Travis took the sphere and shattered it on the ground.

“It is done,” said the angel.

Travis opened his eyes and saw his old stone ceiling and laughed. He jumped out of bed and rushed out to see his family. “I love you three so much! You are worth more than all the gold in the world!”

“Where did that come from?” said Susan.

“It does not matter. We are all here together. That is what counts.”

Without a doubt, Travis had come to a revelation. Truly, It’s a wonderful life!









© Copyright 2021 brom21 (ion_7 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2263850-Its-a-Wonderful-Life