*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2263905-The-Gift-Giver
by brom21
Rated: E · Short Story · Spiritual · #2263905
A man will receive special help to give what his family wants for Christmas.
Nathan stared at the porcelain angel sitting on the wooden kiosk in the marketplace of the small town of Wrethmire. It was situated about five miles from the castle of the kingdom of Hereldous. Nathan investigated his pouch of gold-only six gold coins; it would cost ten coins to buy the little figure.

My dear sweet daughter. If only I could afford what your heart so desires. he thought. He took out the list of three items. He could afford the first two items-a wicker ball and mirror. But alas, the first thing on her list was not acquirable.

Nathan sulked away as he looked at the wreaths, ribbons and bows that decked the marketplace. This Christmas would be somber for him. He walked home to his modest thatched roof house with two small circular windows. He entered and his wife embraced him.

“Hello, husband.”

“Hello, Priscila. How are the children?”

Priscila smiled warmly. “They are excited. Tomorrow is Christmas after all.”

“That porcelain angel is too expensive. Rose will be sad. At least I will be able to get the wooden box David wants,” said Nathan.

“Rose will understand. We must be thankful for what we have. Remember the reason for the holiday-the birth of our Lord and Savior. That is the greatest gift,” said Priscila.

“I have a few hours left at the coal mines. I should not be long,” Nathan said as he kissed Priscilla. “See you soon.”

Nathan walked a little way away from the town to the mines. Men were busy cutting away coal and hauling it into carts. Soot was on the clothes and faces of the workers.

“You are late. You were supposed to start at noon,” said a plump man in a clean tunic.

“I was...busy. I will make up for it.”

“See that you do,” said the man.

Nathan walked into the mine and took up a pick and started cutting away coal bits. After thirty minutes of working, the coal deposits began to ware thin. “I will have to go deeper.” Nathan walked deeper into the mine, where no one else was. From the side of his eye, he saw a flicker of light. “What on earth?”

Nathan went deeper into the mine where he saw the light. A ball of white light passed in front of him and floated before him. “Hello, Nathan,” said a voice from the small light sphere.

“What are you!”

“Well, I am not an angel. What else could I be?”

“I do not know,” said Nathan with wide eyes and a gaping mouth.

“I am a fairy, of course!”

“What do you want?”

“I am here to help you, Nathan. I have more to offer than you could imagine.”

“All I want is for my little girl to have a porcelain angel she wants,” said Nathan.

“Oh, you think small. Think big my friend. I could do much more than that.”

“You can give me whatever I wish?” said Nathan.

“Now you are thinking!” said the fairy.

“What is your name?” asked Nathan.

“My name is Pearl. Now what do you desire the most?”

“I just want my family to be happy.”

Pearl rolled her eyes. “You are a noble soul, Nathan. Very well.” Pearl snapped her fingers and the porcelain angel appeared floating in front of Nathan.

“Oh, thanks be to you Pearl!” said Nathan. “Where do you fairies come from?” asked Nathan.

“I am a celestial being like an angel. But I dwell on Earth-not to be confused with evil spirits though.”

“My wife has not said anything she wants for Christmas. I will ask her. What do I tell my family where I got the gifts?”

“Just say it was a miracle from God. After all, ‘every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of heavenly lights’, as the Word says,” said Pearl.

Nathan ran out of the mine, headed for home. A smile beamed on his face the whole way home. He burst through the door and grabbed Priscila by the waist and lifted her. “Look what I have!” Nathan said as he flashed the small figure in front of her.

“How did you get it!”

“It was a gift from God.”

“Well, praise God then!” said Priscila.

“If you could have anything for Christmas, what would it be? Anything at all!”

“I just want you to be happy, of course.”

“I am just happy to have you and the children,” said Nathan. “Let me ask David!”

Nathan walked into Rose and David’s shared room. David was fast asleep. Nathan woke him. “David, I have good news. You can have whatever you want for Christmas! Just tell me!”

David rubbed his eyes. “Oh, umm…I have always wanted a gold shield like what the guards have.”

“Then it’s yours!”

Nathan dashed outside to the mines to see how to get a gold shield. It was twilight and all the workers were gone. Pearl appeared in front of Nathan. “I assume you want me to give you that gold shield?”

“Yes!”

“Done!” said Pearl as she snapped her fingers, causing a gold shield to appear.

Nathan took it, then paused. “What is in this for you?” asked Nathan.

Pearl chuckled. “It is more blessed to give than to receive. Have a good life, Nathan,” she said with a wink as she disappeared in a flash of light.

Nathan ran home with the shield and snuck into the house and hid it in a cupboard.

“Another gift from God, husband?”

“Indeed, Priscila. Tomorrow will be the best Christmas ever!”

“What will we tell the children where we got the gifts, Nathan? What if they think you stole it?”

“I will tell them what I told you,” said Nathan. “It is a miracle.”

The happy couple kneeled and folded their hands.

Nathan prayed. “Lord, we thank you for these items you gifted us with. We bless and exalt your name. Amen.”









© Copyright 2021 brom21 (ion_7 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2263905-The-Gift-Giver