*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2264662-Mr-Treadway--WC-355
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2264662
A student meets a former teacher in the mall.
Mr. Treadway
WC 355


Chloe sat across from her favorite teacher from high school, Mr. Treadway. They had bumped into each other in the mall and decided to catch up over a latte at the Coffee Bean in the food court.

“What has it been, Chloe, ten years?”

“At least. You haven’t changed a bit, Mr. Treadway.”

“Please call me Ron.”

This felt awkward to Chloe.

“I know I’ve changed,” she said, just to say something. She hadn’t really changed that much.

“Not really, Chloe,” he said, “though maybe you feel like you have.”

They sat in silence for a bit.

“So, what have you been doing, Mr. Tr—Ron? Still teaching?”

“My life took a bit of a turn—”

“I don’t mean to pry.”

“You’re not,” he said. “So, you have kids?”

“Three. Don’t you have three?”

“They live with their mom in London.”

“Wow, that’s a bit of a hike from Pasadena.”

“Tell me about your kids,” he said, deflecting.

The next ten minutes were spent talking about Chloe’s children.

And then, out of nowhere, Mr. Treadway started reciting lyrics to a Rod Stewart song, “Oh the rhythm of my heart is beating like a drum with the words ‘I love you’ rolling off my tongue…”

“Excuse me?” is all Chloe could manage to say.

“You do know, Chloe, I have always loved you.”

“Excuse me?”

“You never noticed the way I looked at you?”

Chloe began gathering her things.

Mr. Treadway continued reciting the lyrics,” No, never will I roam for I know my place is home.”

“Mr. Treadway—”

“Ron.”

“Mr. Treadway, this feels inappropriate.”

“Do you think we just bumped into each other, Chloe? I follow your every move.” He recited again. “Where the ocean meets the sky, I’ll be sailing. I’ll be sailing. I’ll be sailing.”

Chloe stood up and backed away from the table.

“I left my wife for you, Chloe. I love you. I think you will see, with time, that you love me, too.”

Chloe hurried out of the food court.

Mr. Treadway called after her. “You will love me, Chloe, if you just follow the rhythm of your heart!
© Copyright 2022 jackiesmuse (jackiesmuse at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2264662-Mr-Treadway--WC-355