*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2264682-Opposite-Corners
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Dark · #2264682
Is the amorphous man on the opposite corner imagined or has he finally come to take her?
OPPOSITE CORNERS

BY Richie Stein

         The woman stood on the corner, as she had done every morning for the past fifteen years waiting for the light to change. The thermometer on the billboard read 92 degrees and the heat rose from the pavement in waves making the figure on the opposite corner discernible as the form of a man without details. A dark amorphous shape that seemed to be staring at the woman without expression or, at least one that could be seen through the haze. Upon seeing him she froze for a moment and gasped. The woman waited for the light to change so she could traverse the black asphalt to the opposite corner where the man stood among a crowd of humanity. Was he also simply waiting for the light to change? Why wouldn't he be? She trid to reason that he must simply another human being navigating through life oblivious of another's existence. Those around him had movement though: a shuffle of their feet, a turn of their heads, a conversation with another. But the man stood there motionless, an undulating, yet stagnant black mass surrounded by stars that were alive, but he was not. At least he did not appear to be to the woman. The light changed. She took a step forward and stopped, waiting to see what he would do. He stood immobile, unflinching, unchanging. She knew she had to cross, had to go to that towering glass monolith that contained her office. She had to go. If only he would go too. The woman told herself it was her imagination. Her doctor had given her medication for this. He told her if she took her blue pill, took a few cleansing breaths, stayed calm and repeated her little mantra, the apparitions would disappear.
         She closed her eyes and breathed deeply. "I'm alright and I am in control," she repeated rhythmically. Did she take her pill this morning? She always left the prescription by the coffee pot so she wouldn't forget. She slowly opened her eyes afraid of what she might see. He was still there. The traffic light counted down the seconds until it turned red. 10...9...8.... The man, or the form-- was just there. He just "was" or "was not". Nobody seemed to take notice of him.
         "No, this cannot be real. Just take another deep breath and cross the street. I am alright and I am in control" she muttered, her voice shaking. She tried to convince herself. "He will fade away. He always does."
         She smiled, another attempt to convince herself that he was one of those figments the doctor discussed with her. The light ticked on: 7...6...5. She grew anxious, adrenalin flowing, heart beating faster. She took another step. "Why won't he move? Why won't he just disappear? "The others did. The pills and breathing exercises worked for those other demons that tormented her soul. Inwardly she was now screaming, crying, praying. "Just go away and leave me alone!" 4...3...2. Her legs felt like lead. Her steps grew smaller, more hesitant. Her breathing quickened.
         The light changed. She stood immobilized in the middle of the street, horns blaring "Move it lady, are you crazy?"
         "Crazy, maybe I am insane." People rushed by her in both directions, some unaware of her presence, others glancing at her curiously. They moved through the time and space that was their lives, moving towards something that was real, something that had meaning and substance. Why couldn't she? He, the form stood there pulsating, growing larger, more menacing.
         She saw a police car stop. The officer bolted out of his car and stopped traffic amidst a cacophony of blaring horns. The officer approached her,
         "Are you alright, ma'am?"
         The woman looked at the officer holding her arm. She was hysterical,
         "Don't you see him? Tell me you see him! Why won't he move, why won't he just go away?"
         "Who? Who should just go away?" The police officer pleaded.
         "Him! Look at him." she screamed. He is going to take me. He will finally win. I have fought him since I was a teen ager. He would follow me and I would escape."
         "I understand, ma'am. But we need to get to the other side of the street so these cars can go. It is dangerous here" The policeman was very conciliatory.
         "But, he is there waiting for me. Look! He is right there! He is so dark! He is growing!" She stood with drooped shoulders, sobbing.
         The office took his attention away from the woman and looked at the throng of people on the opposite corner.
         Among the mass of humanity, there was a single figure in a dark suit and a grey overcoat. He wore a Stetson hat pulled over his eyes. His face was indiscernible.
         "Ma'am, it is just a man in an overcoat."
         "No, no", she pleaded. "It is him. I know. I know! Why would anyone wear a heavy coat like that in this heat? Don't you see? He is hiding his essence from you. You understand now, don't you? He is the ancient one. He is death and he has come to take me! Stop him! For God' sake, don't let him take me I don't want to die."
         "Nobody is dying. It will be alright. We need to go! We need to get to the corner! C'mon lady. I'll help you across the street. You can't stay here." He tried to lead her to the other side.
         The form moved towards them. He stopped in front of the pair. A voice emanated from under the Stetson hat. It was deliberate, monochromatic and devoid of emotion. "Allow me to assist you office. I know this woman. Let me take her. I will take her gently to the other side where she will be safe." He took her other arm and the two moved her towards the corner.
         She raised her head and looked towards the man in the overcoat. She was muttering as tears rolled down her face.
         "You have come to take me. I know. I can't fight any longer. I have nothing left."
         "Officer, I know her well. She is not mentally well. Although she is on medication, the disease sometimes gets the best of her. "
Finally, they reached the corner.
         "I can take her from here. We work in the same building. She will be alright now. "
         "Are you sure? She looks to be in pretty bad shape!"
         "I assure you office, she will be fine. We have known each other for years: constant companions you might say. Her name is Fran. I will take care of her. We are going into that tall glass building over there.
         Just then the officer got an emergency call on his intercom.
         "Oh, crap! I've got to go. Well, you seem to know her well. Ok, take her from here and thanks for your help."
         "You are quite welcome, office. Come Fran, we will walk together."
The woman looked helplessly at the officer and then turned her attention to the man. She said nothing. Her face showed resignation.
         In the tall glass building, in the office where the woman worked, Fran's cubicle was empty.
"Has anyone seen Fran? Did she call in sick today?"
"I don't know. I will call HR." Before she could pick up the receiver a secretary hung up.
"Oh, my God! Fran had a heart attack. She is dead!"
"No, it can't be true." Someone exclaimed.
"She just collapsed and died!"
"Where was she?"
"She was standing on the corner. Some witness said that when the light changed, she wouldn't cross and looked terribly frightened. She just stood there staring at the opposite corner. "
"What was across the street?"
"Nothing. Just people.
"Did the police come?"
"Yes, after she collapsed. An officer tried to revive her but it was too late. He said he had never seen such a look of terror on someone's face. The police are still there."
         The employees moved to the window to see. On the corner across from the building, police cars blocked off the road. Officers were trying to get the crowd to move on. An ambulance with lights flashing was moving away.
One of the secretaries turned to the lady next to her." Wasn't she on medication for something?"
"Yes, but I don't think it was for her heart."
"I am not certain. She spoke about this little blue pill. I think she may have had some issues" she said pointing to her head. "Sometimes, I would hear her softly chanting to herself. Poor thing! She told me once that as a teen she was in an auto accident and had a traumatic brain injury. She was in the hospital for weeks. The doctors did not think she would make it. I guess you could say she cheated death, back then...but not now."
         Later that afternoon, flowers were delivered to the office. The card read simply "Sorry for your loss."
         The secretary asked the delivery guy if he knew the name of the person who sent them.
"I don't know. It was strange. Some guy in an overcoat came in and ordered them. "
"Who was he? What did he look like?"
         "Like I said, I don't know. He wore a brown hat pulled over his eyes. I really couldn't see his face. He gave me the creeps! It's hot as hell out there. Who would wear a heavy coat and a hat in weather like this? He just paid for the flowers in cash and left. Like I said, the guy gave me the creeps, big time."
         Several days later, a small crowd gathered around a grave. A friend was saying some kind words about the newly and dearly departed. In the distance stood a man, a dark figure in an overcoat and a Stetson hat. As the humidity rose from the ground, he seemed to undulate like an object just under the surface of the water, whose form is distorted by the water's movement.
         Someone asked the priest, "Who is that guy standing over there?
         "I don't know, but, I think he may work here. I've seen him here before."
         As the priest began his prayer "Ashes to ashes and dust to dust..." The man turned and walked away.








© Copyright 2022 Rickster1 (rickstein1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2264682-Opposite-Corners