*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2264741-The-Inventors-Conviction
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by brom21
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Supernatural · #2264741
A tinkerer gets a special visit telling him of the dire repercussions of his work.
Cnidus sat wearing his thickest argyle sweater as he tinkered with his crude gadgets and chemicals in his chamber below the castle of Nimithar. He already perfected his argon powered light follicle. Now, he turned to his attention to his lightning canon. It was four feet long and had a protruding prong with wires around it.

Cnidus thought of himself as an Argonaut, seeking the golden fleece-a coveted object all tinkerers sought; his main invention was a device that could make anything, no matter how big, to defy gravity and fly!

A knock came from the entrance door.

“Come,” said Cnidus.

A young male servant opened the door and bowed. “King Darvy wants to know how the floating apparatus is progressing.”

Cnidus rolled his eyes and sighed. “Tell the king I am quite busy and I am going as fast as I can. Assure him, it will be ready within the next couple of months.”

The servant bowed again and darted away. As Cnidus worked on the lightning canon, he paused; what was he doing? How would his invention be used? Could it fall into the wrong hands? His canon was made to obliterate a dozen or more opponents at once. He put own his instrument and ran a palm down his face.

Cnidus was not a religious man, but he believed in God and thought what He would say about all of Cnidus’ inventions. To what end did he make his creations? More than anything it was for credit and respect. His conscious pricked his resolve; his search for pride and praise blinded him to the future repercussions.

Cnidus shook himself and came out of his pondering. His eyes were heavy and he felt fatigued. He walked out of the chamber and trudged up some stairs and through some corridors to his living quarters.

Minutes after he laid in his bed, he found himself on a mountain overlooking a vast battlefield. He cringed as castle-like structures hovered over the ground dispersing lightning rods from metal canons. Troops were turned into charred skeletons and Cnidus smelled scent of seared bones like hot ashes.

Cnidus saw other weapons of war he did not create. Swords of blue flame clashed with other blades of the same kind. Cnidus recalled his plans to create a plasma sword “This experience must be of the future!” he said.

A machine with a drill-like instrument bored into the ground and caused it to crack and shake with the power of an earthquake! It seemed like all creatures and things were being made desolate.

A man in a white robe appeared next to Cnidus. “Is this what you wanted Cnidus! Is it!”

“I had no idea!” said Cnidus. “Is this the actual future?”

“If you continue on the same path, it is inevitable. What is to come is in your hands.”

“Who are you?” asked Cnidus.

“I am Gabe, a messenger of God.”

Cnidus reeled back and widened his eyes. “God is telling me this!”

Cnidus opened his eyes and saw he was in his room. “It was a dream,” he said. Cnidus looked out his square window and saw the scarlet-orange hue illuminate the long flat clouds.

Cnidus jumped out of his bed and quickly dressed in his brown, cotton cloak and darted out of his quarters and made for the throne room door. The throne chamber was empty and Cnidus paced back and forth, waiting for the king to arrive.

How could he tell the king? What would he say? What if Cnidus was committing treason?

Images of his dream flashed in his mind as he waited. How could he be so obtuse and prideful! On the other hand, his weapons could be used for good. It all depended on who wielded them. But no, he would retain his original conviction.

King Darvy walked towards Cnidus from across the hall. He ran to him and bowed. “My Lord, I must tell you something grievous. It regards my whole life’s work.”

“Ah, you have come up with even more inventions that will ensure our survival!”

“No, my Lord. I have come to say…I cannot go and continue to do as I have. I resign as your weapons procurator.”

The king’s face went red. “That is defying the order of the crown! You will comply!” said King Darvy.

“All my inventions will bring is doom and death, my Lord.”

“Nonsense, it will be used to defend us, good sir.”

Cnidus shook his head. “For now that is how things will progress, but think of twenty or thirty years from now when we have passed on.”

“I will not argue with you, Cnidus! You will continue to serve this kingdom!”

Cnidus looked down and tightened his fists. He took a deep breath. “An angel of God warned me about this situation.”

“An angel! Bah! Your imagination vexes your good sense!” Darvy looked at two guards standing at attention at their posts. “Guards, take him to the dungeon!”

“Please, rethink this!”

King Darvy followed Cnidus as he was being taken away. “You will remain there until you come to your senses.”

Cnidus was in tears as he was dragged down the main hall to a small wooden door, down a flight of stairs to a chamber filled with cells filled with prisoners and was thrown in an empty one. Cnidus was speechless as the guards left him. What was he to do? He would not relent. He sat against the back wall of the cell and covered his face.

The same angel that appeared to Cnidus stood before him. None of the prisoners said anything or looked surprised at the presence of the being.

“Why are you here and why does no one react to you!”

“Only you can see me. I have come take you home. You have done well.”

The being stretched forth his hand and Cnidus took it and vanished.

The guards were baffled, and the king ordered a search. But Cnidus was nowhere.













© Copyright 2022 brom21 (ion_7 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2264741-The-Inventors-Conviction