*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2265051-Another-Sunday-Afternoon---WC-293
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2265051
A young woman looks for adventure.
Another Sunday Afternoon
WC 293


It’s Sunday afternoon. As always, I’m looking for adventure!

Just over the rise, I see a rider on a white horse. I wave; he does
not. Perhaps he doesn’t see me.

I name him Lancelot.

“So long, Lancelot!” I say as he rides off.

I name the horse Snow.

“Atta boy, Snow.”

Or girl.

I walk up the hill and down the other side.

I see a little girl holding the string of a red helium balloon. I wave.

“Hello,” I call out.

I name the girl Hyacinth.

She waves back and says something, but I can’t make it out. I move closer.

Her balloon is floating up into the heavens. She frowns and gives me the finger. I was going to walk over to her, but I just changed my mind.

I rename her Stinky.

I am bored.

If Lancelot had been more friendly, I could be feeding Snow the carrot in my knapsack. Perhaps this knight would’ve let me ride his noble steed; A girl can dream…

Maybe Stinky wouldn’t have given me the finger if she hadn’t lost her balloon. I’ll never know. I think I’m better off not knowing her.

Off in the distance, I see the red balloon. Its string is tangled in the branches of a Sycamore tree. I must climb a bit, but I retrieve Stinky’s property.

If she had not given me the finger, I would try to find her and give the balloon back. But she did, so I won’t.

I am now the proud owner of a red helium balloon. Yay!

I do wish I could have ridden Snow or fed him…or her…a carrot. Oh, well. It was not to be.

There’s always next Sunday, and there’s always another adventure!
© Copyright 2022 jackiesmuse (jackiesmuse at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2265051-Another-Sunday-Afternoon---WC-293