*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2265378-The-Quilt
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2265378
Flash Fiction
The Quilt

Never intrigued by sewing should have given me a clue as to how I would handle it when I suddenly decided to make a quilt.

When you’re my age, which I won’t bore you with, it’s almost required that you have a sewing machine. We grew up doing a lot with them, to us it’s like having a broom. You don’t have your own place without a broom! Well if you’re my age, you didn’t get your own place without having a sewing machine either.

I’m great at fixing things with it. I’ve made attempts at clothes too. None came out well so I decided it was not my thing. Besides, you can buy clothes anywhere. But a quilt...

Yes, you could buy one, of course, but how special for my first grandchild to have one made by her Grammie!

I planned it on paper. Besides each square a different color, I had a sun, a moon and several stars to sew on. On paper, so cute!

I’d never actually tried to sew little things onto something before. I read the instructions and started, my sun and moon came out pretty well. The stars. Not so much.

How do you sew a pointy thing and end up with a point? My stars had five points each, and there were three of them! I spent several hours fighting with them, with the machine, with the thread. Finally, cutting still another set, and then sewing them on by hand. It actually looked pretty good in the end.

My granddaughter loves it. Of course she had to go many years before she understood that I made it. But it was worth it. She’s five now, she loves my quilt, and coincidentally, unknown to me until after the fact, her parents named her Star.
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2265378-The-Quilt