*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2265471-The-Oven-Incident
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2265471
Flash Fiction
The Oven Incident

“Can you fix it?” Stella asked

“Sure! I’ll have it fixed in no time.” Jed from Fixes by Jed, said.

“I’ll give you eight hours, then I’m calling someone else!”

“Stella! Do you think I’m a magician?”

“No, I think you’re a very good handy man, and very lazy.”

“Lazy! I came right over as soon as you called!”

“Yes. But then you take your sweet time fixing whatever it is. I have people coming over Wednesday, I need my oven running properly!”

“Fine! I’ll have it done this afternoon! Will that be good enough?” Jed said, obviously insulted.

“Oh dear,” Stella said, realizing she had pushed him too far. “I just need the oven fixed quickly. You’re a good friend. I’m just a cranky old woman.”

“You are not an old woman! Cranky yes... old no!”

Stella had to laugh at the change in the conversation. “You’re such a rascal! I don’t know why I even put up with you!”

“Well,” Jed said, “frankly, the reason I take so long to fix things for you, is I’m because I’m always trying to get up my nerve to ask you out.”

“Ask me out?” Stella said, startled. “Like on a date?”

“Yes?”

“I never thought I’d go out with anyone again after Ted died.”

“I thought that way too, when I lost Marion. But then I met you and suddenly I felt had more years in my life, and I’d actually would like to share them with someone. I just didn’t know how to start.”

“Do you mean me?”

“Yes...”

“So, you’re capable of fixing this fast...?

“About an hour.”

“How about you do that. And then we’ll talk about this other thing over some sweet rolls and coffee.”

“Delighted!” said Jed.

They continued that conversation for many, many years.
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2265471-The-Oven-Incident