*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2265591-The-Visit
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2265591
Julie needs some encouragement that only her mentor can provide.
Julie pulled into the parking lot and cut the engine. She sat watching the rain as it pelted down upon her little car.

No sense running out through the rain. She'd wait.

But her emotions swirled around her, poking at her like an insufferable, water drenched mutt. She couldn't stay here and risk the tears, risk the pain overwhelming her like it had all morning.

She was here to meet with Mrs. Rainier, her old music teacher. The woman had been packed off to a retirement home and forgotten. Her family rarely saw her, and Julie had decided that a visit would do them both good. Connecting back to her roots would only help her and right now, she could use all the help she could garner.

When the rain slowed enough for Julie to see the door of of the building without a white haze blocking it, she made a dash for it. She drew her raincoat up over her head, preferring to wear it as a shelter, more than an actual coat.

As she stood waiting for her breath to catch up to her, she listened to the rhythmic drum of the raindrops on the roof. It was soothing.

Before she could knock, the door opened. She was welcomed into the warm interior and given a blanket to wrap around her.

"My goodness, child. What you doing out on a day like this?" A kindly middle aged woman asked as she lead her into the front room where a fire was flickering in the old stone fireplace.

"I called to see if I could visit..."

"Mrs. Rainier." The woman finished with a smile. "I remember. She'll be so happy to see a friendly face. She doesn't get many visitors. Her memory is not as fine as it used to be... though some days..."

Julie nodded. She was hoping today would be one of her mentor's good days.

We had so many memories of talking about music.

She needed that today. Needed that as much as she longed for the fire to warm her chilled bones.


While she waited, Julie moved to the piano that lined the far wall. Her fingers lingered over the keys, drawing her in. She slid onto the bench and let the music fill her senses. Her fingers remembered the tune. Played it as if it were something she played every day. She lost herself in the music.

"Oh sweetness," she heard behind her and looked up to see Mrs. Rainier beaming down at her. "You've come for your lesson."

Julie decided to play along and let Mrs. Rainier teach her. It was good to remember how wonderful the woman was.

After several songs, they moved to the couch by the fireplace. Mrs. Rainier was quiet for a while as they were drinking coffee. Just being with the woman, filled Julie with hope. Mrs. Rainier had a way of bringing optimism and possibility to any situation.

"You really have become quite accomplished, my dear. I hope you have chosen to follow your musical dreams."

"There was a time when I thought I could...." Julie began then trailed off.

Mrs. Rainier pursed her lips before saying softly, "then you let a man manipulate and crush those dreams."

A knot formed in Julie's throat as she nodded at the truth of that statement.

"Well, he is dead and gone now. I say you buck up and try again. Talent like yours shouldn't be wasted."

The man wasn't really dead, but as good as, as far as Julie was concerned. Something told her Mrs. Rainier was talking about something closer to her own life. She remembered a time when Mrs. Rainier had once shared her dreams and Julie remembered wondering what had happened. Why she had let them go. Packed them away like old luggage.

"It was too late for me...." the woman continued, her voice rimmed with sadness. Then she smiled as she said, "but then there was you and teaching didn't seem such a burden anymore. You'll try again. There is time for you. No children to tie you down...."

Julie nodded as the tears choked up in her throat, making her unable to speak. A flicker bloomed in her. She would try again. She would reawaken those lost dreams... for herself and for Mrs. Rainier. She would not let life cast its shadow and trap her like it had Mrs. Rainier. She owned them both that.

"I will." She managed.

Mrs. Rainier reached out and clasped her hands in blessing. Julie felt the warmth and kindness flood through her; a kind of strength and determination. It was just what she needed.

Words = 776.

Notes
© Copyright 2022 💙 Carly (carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2265591-The-Visit