*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2265994-Guide-to-the-Galaxy---WC-286
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2265994
A teaching moment between a father and his son.


Guide to the Galaxy
WC 286


My teenage son had joined a club at school and wanted to quit.

“Why did you join, Danny?”

“I thought it might be fun to learn about the galaxy.”

“You’ve only been to one meeting.” I recognized a teaching moment. “I didn’t raise a quitter.”

After my wife died when Danny was a baby, I became both parents. I’ve tried my best.

“I’m not a quitter,” Danny said as he played with the peas on his plate. “They have a different take on things.”

“Such as?”

“They make fun of the kids in our school that don’t have nice clothes. The poor kids.”

“In an astronomy club?”

“They gossip. Put people down.”

This club sounded like something I wouldn’t want to be part of.

“Give it one more week.”

“Please don’t make me,” Danny said. “Didn’t Grandpa try to make you play football?”

My father had strongly encouraged me to try out for the team. I did, and I really hated it; I dropped out after the first week of practice. I never went back again.

“You told me you dropped out after the first week.”

Danny pushed his plate away at that point and got up.

“So, Dad, can I quit?”

It would be hypocritical if I said he couldn’t. And, anyway, I knew my way around the galaxy.

“Yes, you can quit.”

“Thanks, Dad.” Danny hugged me, which he rarely did. “I can learn about the Milky Way on my own. I’ll get some books from the library and--”

“Grab your coat, kid. Let’s gaze at some stars.”

We sat on a blanket in the backyard munching on caramel corn as I pointed out the constellations.

I would be Danny’s guide to the galaxy.
© Copyright 2022 jackiesmuse (jackiesmuse at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2265994-Guide-to-the-Galaxy---WC-286