*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2266372-Dont-be
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · How-To/Advice · #2266372
I receive a letter from my future self. For The Cramp. Last day of birthday week!
Birthdays have never been a big production for me. Usually I go out and buy myself some new books, maybe stop off at the craft store.
I do look forward to the mail, though. I have always received at least one card on my birthday and I always appreciate the cards, a tangible thought that someone took the time to send to me.
This summer, as I was home from college and turning 20, I got a rather strange letter. Addressed to me and in my own handwriting, only I don’t remember sending myself anything. Here is what it said:

Dear Me,

I tried writing this once with our real first name, but it felt so odd that I scrapped it and started over. In case you haven’t figured it out yet, I am you from the future, about fifteen years from now. I’ve been given a rare opportunity to try to help my old self out a little bit.

All I’ve really got to tell you, the main thing anyway (everything else falls by the wayside and doesn’t matter so much) is don’t be so afraid.

You’re going to have to decide soon, whether you want to stay in college. It won’t feel like a decision but it is. You’re going to get sick and burned out and feel so directionless and I’m here to tell you, go ahead and drop out and don’t waste time feeling badly about it. You’ve got other things to do.

And don’t be afraid to write what you feel. Don’t be afraid to talk to people you see at the post office. Don’t be afraid to play guitar where people can hear it. Don’t be afraid to show people your art. Put it all out into the world and see what comes back. I think you’ll be surprised.
I certainly was.

And, when life gets confusing, when it gets bad, hold on to yourself. Keep going, keep making things. Even if it’s all garbage for a week and nothing is working, eventually something will work, and you will feel better for it.

Look at the world around you. Unplug more and get outside. Sit beneath old trees and listen to them speak. Hear yourself. Stop hiding.
Be kind, as much as you can.

Everything else will take care of itself.



No signature. But I guess none was needed?

Do I believe that this is from a future version of myself?
It is lacking in any kind of concrete detail of what’s to come, but that does make sense. I never did like talking about myself.
Don’t be afraid, I say. Well, that’s easier said than done.

Prompt
© Copyright 2022 Wickedfugitive (wickedfugitive at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2266372-Dont-be