*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2266552-Goodbyes
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #2266552
After deciding to leave Blackford, young Skrie says goodbye to her only friend.
Goodbyes


"You shouldn't be here," hissed Tiny as Skrie entered his room in the Thieves Guild barracks. "'Specially not dressed like that."

"I know," replied the diminutive halfling looking down at her robes. "I couldn't leave without saying goodbye."

After deciding to leave Blackford, Skrie had trekked back to the temple and talked with Sister Frieda about going. The sister had been trying to get the young cleric out on her own for months, but Skrie had resisted the call, saying she had more to learn. The truth was a lot more complicated.

Now that the mercenaries that burned her family's inn were all taken care of, she didn't feel a pressing need to leave--until now, that is. She couldn't get the ring out of her head. That feeling of being watched wouldn't go away, and it had haunted her dreams last night. And that cat. Where in blazes did that thing come from?

"How'd da sisters talk ya into it?" the big half-orc asked, looking down at the halfling.

"They didn't," she said, head tilted up at him. "I came to that decision all by myself. I also wanted to warn you ..." she hesitated, stepping back to listen at the door. "Whatever you do, do NOT let Master Hollan send you or anyone you care about enter the Veruta manor house. There is something dead wrong about that place. Just thinking about it gives the creeps."

Skrie looked her friend in the eye, then rushed up and hugged his knee.

"I'll miss you," she said, sniffling. "I have to go, maybe we'll meet again sometime. I hope, anyway."

Tiny opened the window, letting the halfling exit the guildhall without being seen.

"Be safe, friend," he croaked in his broken Common. "We meet again someday. Promise."


© Copyright 2022 Just Jae (jaejaeme at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2266552-Goodbyes