*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2266742-Micro-Challenge-Stories
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by baywa
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest · #2266742
Micro-Challenge Stories 2022
HIS LAST GAME
John spent another evening in the casino. Again, he promised himself, to win this very last game. No way else. He put all his eggs in one basket. Bad luck! Driving home he wished one light never turned green. Firetrucks were underway, he drove aside, circling about one thought. Totally broke. How could he face his wife?
Their house was burning, his wife was waiting, carrying their baby. She didn’t look at him but whispered.
“I paid the insurance rate. Before we make plans, the only thing I want to know, are you willing to conquer your addiction?” He nodded, and that’s how the fight started.

A CHOCOLATE OF HELP
“How did you meet Carl? He is a real bullseye!” asked Jenna, slurping coffee.
“Did you ever experience a synchronicity? I went to a job interview in his company, took the elevator. So did he. I did not know him. We got stuck.”
“And?”
“After ten minutes, he felt worse. Hypoglycemia. I pulled out my chocolate, fed him.”
“He was so grateful, especially since I promised I wouldn’t tell anybody. He said he would take care of my missed appointment, invited me to dinner the same evening, sent me home. I leave the rest of the story to your imagination.”


THE LAST GOODBYE
I am agitated. My bag is packed. I just need my travel documents, credit card.
Finally! All is done.
I turn around and say goodbye to my old life.

What’s that? A car? I peek out of the window. It’s her! Back too early!
I must leave. My other wife is waiting, with the children. I just have to pick them up. Flight will be on schedule. Destination: Sydney.
I grab my bag, open the backdoor, silently.

She unlocks the front door
“Hello darling, where are you? I have a surprise for you. Can’t wait to show you the sonogram!”

THE KEY TO TIME
“Dad, do you have time to answer a question right now? About time?”
“Sure, Jimmy. What do you want to know?”
Jimmy shows him his pocket watch.
“Is this time?”
“Time is the most mysterious, marvelous thing in the world. It has its own qualities. The clock only tells you the time, just like a bank statement tells me how much money I have available.”
“Why are you asking?”
“I wanted to play with the neighbor boy this afternoon, but he said he didn't have time. Do we have enough money in the account for you to buy him some?”

THE LAW OF SHADOWS
“So, Mister Alastorios, tell me what happened,” the police officer said.
“I am so sorry. I came from the immigration center. I did not know about your laws for shadows.”
“Just tell me!”
“My shadow was long and dark, covered the street border, the victim came along, oversaw the border, stumbled, the car, blood overall. My shadow was gone.”
“So, get to know the first law. Your shadow is fully responsible. He caused a death. He will be imprisoned lifelong as soon as we capture it. But you can keep your green card if you tell us where he hides.”

STORY 6:
-------------
A DAY OF NO RETURN
Joan hurried to her kitchen after a hellish night.
Her husband was already out of the house.
She turned on the coffeemaker, wanted to grab her coffee cup from the cupboard, but what a surprise!
“Oh, nice, he set the table! Everything will be fine!”
Joan's spirits soared.
As she went to pour the coffee into her cup, she saw a ring inside, a car key attached.
Her heart was pounding.
In front of the house, she found a brand new car, a note behind the windscreen.
“This car is yours. You may go wherever you want, but never return.”

STORY 7:
-------------
STAYING ABOARD
Ruth stayed aboard, went to the wellness center, but found it closed.
A steward excused it by giving her a voucher for the bar.
There a good-looking man was ordering a cocktail.
“Me too! The same, please,” she said, waving the voucher.
“What a pleasant surprise. I feared to be lonely the whole afternoon,” the man said, smiling at her.
“Sure, you won’t be”, she answered, not noticing him further.
“I am Jack and you are?”
“Ruth! You are quite persistent.”
The barkeeper put the two cocktails on the table.
They cheered and had much fun until the excursions returned.

STORY 8:
-------------
STOP THE NIGHTMARE
Jennifer dreamed a nightmare every night.
She woke up scared, tired and exhausted until she found traces of violence on her arms in the morning.
The next night; she dreamed of being strangled. She therefore decided to stay awake as long as possible.

After two nights awake, she went jogging on the third evening.
Unexpectedly, a thunderstorm rolled in.
Lightning struck a nearby house. It became pitch dark in that town.

She stopped. Someone grabbed her by the arms, then by the neck.
She fought back with a violent blow, ran home.
It was her house that was on fire.

STORY 9:
-------------

ONE HIT TOO MANY
Tom and Kate dated Jimmy and Melissa for a dinner in the best restaurant around.
They had to wait for a table.

Melissa suggested taking a drink at the bar, but Jimmy refused, knowing her peculiarities.
She convinced Tom to join her.
After three drinks, fooling around, she looked at him.
“Why can’t Jimmy be a little like you?”

Kate and Jimmy had a profound, interesting conversation.
She sighed wondering, why Tom can’t be a little like Jimmy.

When their table was finally available, they went to the bar but discovered Melissa hitting on Tom, giving him her phone number.

STORY 10:
--------------
EMBRACE THE FUTURE
The Eiffel Tower, last descent!
A man keeps it open, Claire gets in. After a few moments, the elevator gets stuck.
Claire startles, gropes for the emergency button, touches Mason's hand.
"No one's ever been forgotten here," he says.
"No, I won't forget anyone here," Claire breathed deeply.
"What happened?"
"For ten years I come at each anniversary to think of my dead family! What about you?"
"My ex-wife and I come here for our separation anniversary until I fall in love again. It's time..."
"..to embrace the future, let go the past," Claire said. The elevator started moving again.


© Copyright 2022 baywa (baywa at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2266742-Micro-Challenge-Stories