*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2266934-Wrong-Wall-293-Words
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2266934
Two men quibble about whether this is the right wall or not. It's not.
Murray stood at the base of the giant glass wall and looked up; the wall reflected the green iridescence of the neutron star around which the planet rotated. This entire hemisphere was illuminated in a dull green glow by that tiny monster. “You sure this is the place?”

Gordon dropped his bag and pulled out an elephant gun and a large coil of rope. “I’m sure.” He checked the gun, then pointed it nearly straight up, toward the top of the wall. “Stand back.”

Murray stood back and Gordon fired. The projectile dragged the rope behind it and disappeared over the top of the wall. Murray was studying the horizon. “I don’t know. This doesn’t look right.”

“It’s right. Ride up and over and then give me a report.”

Murray attached the suit harness to the rope and activated the suit’s drive motor. Two minutes later, he was at the top. “Gordo, this doesn’t look right,” he repeated. “Isn’t there supposed to be a habitat down there?”

“It’s right! Ride down, and then report!”

“All right, all right!” Murray said. The design of his suit was such that he was forced to face up as he rode down the rope. As he descended, the Mittites came out of their holes and gathered around the spot where Murray would land.

Murray landed and the Mittites ate everything—his suit, his equipment, even the rope he’d used, as far up as they could reach. And of course, they ate Murray.

When Gordon didn’t hear from him, he rode up the rope himself and looked down to see the bloodstained ground. “Hmm. I guess this wasn’t the right wall after all,” he muttered to himself as he rode down the rope to return to the ship.
© Copyright 2022 DAtmospheres (datmospheres at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2266934-Wrong-Wall-293-Words