*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2267238-Cover-it-Up
by Alexia
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Drama · #2267238
This room was a lie, and no one would ever find out the truth.
What had happened in this room only a day ago, was a far cry from what he could see now. He could only hope that no one would ever find out the truth. Not after everything he’d been through to cover it all up.

Cover it up.

That was his life now. Hiding marks, broken plates, and rips in cloth; a never-ending fight to cover it up. Not that anyone would care enough to notice something was wrong.

But that smile; that smile made it all worth it.

He dangled a toy over her bed, smiling as she laughed. She was perfect, not a single mark on her skin or a scar on her mind. He would do whatever he could to keep it that way.

So, he continued to cover it all up. Long sleeves for his own scars, make-up to hid the bruises, and a smile to distract from his falling mood. Sticking to shadows made everything easier, no one to disappoint if no one knew you existed.

It was easier than most people would probably think. Middle school was its own kind of hell, with bullies and noisy teachers. By the time he reached high school, he wasn’t sure if anyone even knew his name.

Well, one girl did.

“Hey there, angel.”

And that smile. The same since she was a baby; it could light up his whole world in a second.

“Brother!” He had to jump forward to catch her and happily spun her around.

“Well, the first day of school, what did you think?”

That opened the flood gates and he didn’t care enough to stop her. Coloring pages, stuffed animals,s and amazing teachers, every fact made him happier.

This was all worth it. To see her smile, clear skin, and sunshine personality.

Then, they arrived and saw the car in the driveway.

Mother was home.

He set her down, holding her tiny hand in his own.

Deep breathe in.

He was so close to graduating and his birthday.

Deep breathe out.

She changed as soon as they stepped inside, her energy hidden under a bushel. It was the only way to survive.

But of course, Mother was in the kitchen, wine glass already full.

He sent her upstairs; his homework safely being carried by her small arms.

Mother had decorated a beautiful living room and he was familiar with every part of it. The table corner where he got several stitches on his forehead, the curtains she likes to strangle him with, the remotes that were perfect for throwing, pillows to muffle his cries, the list could go on forever.

He was better now, even covering up from Mother. This only enraged her further.

She stood panting; her drink spilled but the wine glass was still held tightly by perfect nails.

“You know,” His heart sank as she looked towards the stairs. “I think you were six the first time you ruined my life.”

Mother started to wobble to the stairs but his mouth wasn’t working.

“What is it they say? One is a lonely number, two is better?”

Mother looked back and he could only describe her face as devilish. Her face was split by a wide grin, pearly teeth looking like knives. The glee in her eyes made him sick, but it also gave him one last ounce of strength.

“She’ll tell, she can’t keep her mouth shut. I can cover-up.”

With one foot on the first step, Mother paused. He was right and she knew it too. Children talk, adults don’t. It was safer for her.

“I guess, I can wait a little longer.”

He had never been happier to be abused by his mother.

Seven stairs.

It was seven stairs to get up to her room, the bathroom, and the first aid kit.

He made it up four before passing out.

“Brother?”

He didn’t want her to see.

He hadn’t cleaned, the living room, his body, his mind was a mess right now.

He didn’t want her to find him.

But he cried out anyways, not a sound leaving his mouth.

Fingers wrapped around his arm, miraculously not on a bruise, and together they made it to the bathroom.

He didn’t want to look in the mirror.

“Why did momma hurt you?”

He didn’t want to look at her.

Her eyes were full of tears, dark brown like Mothers. Yet her eyes didn’t scare him, they enveloped him in an embrace.

“Don’t worry about me, angel. It’s my job to take care of you.” He settled his hand on her head, trying to convince her with a smile.

Sadly, it worked.

He graduated but never left home. He knew, as soon as he did his sister would be Mother’s next target. Business trips kept her away and he was happy to take care of her. He worked day and night, saving money so they could finally leave.

They didn’t leave soon enough.

It was after midnight when he finished with work. He was tired and dirty, but seeing Mother’s car gave him a rush of energy.

She hadn’t even closed the door, something wrong had happened.

“-ruined everything! You’re just a waste of space anyway, a waste of oxygen and money!”

He stood frozen in the doorway.

His baby sister was on the floor, hands covering her head as Mother kicked, spitting out venomous words.

His worst fear had come to life.

“Just die already! Do us all a favor and-”

He couldn’t let her finish.

He tacked Mother to the ground, someone trapping her with his legs and arms. Someone was screaming, someone else crying.

Until it all went quiet.

“-ther! Brother!”

Was she...

He found a pulse on her neck and turned to his sister.

He was too late, marks covering her face, a black eye already forming.

“I’m so sorry, I never wanted this to happen. I should have never left. I should have taken us away earlier. I should have-”

With gentle hands, she took his face and smiled even as she cried.

“Why did you hide this for so long? Why,” A sob spilled out of her lips as he began to cry. “I love you so much, why would you hide this from me? We can leave, get help and get out. Just, don’t hide from me anymore.”

His whole life, he had been hiding. He was ashamed. As other kids at school spilled all these wonderful facts about their parents, he lied and said his mother was amazing. When teachers asked about bruises, he made up excuses. Even when the police visited, he did everything he could to protect that woman.

He couldn’t leave his sister.

But now, he could leave with her.

With bags packed and the living room still a mess, they left.

They had nothing to lie about anymore.

© Copyright 2022 Alexia (alexiajane at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2267238-Cover-it-Up