*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2267349-Blind-Date
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Activity · #2267349
Averren gets a surprise
Ok, I admit I am a bit surprised. I did not expect to see Andre again under these circumstances, but how could Brother Nature and Lilli have known. I let them badger me into this silly idea... er, um I mean blind date because they thought I wasn't getting out enough. I have been working on my story, I'll have you know.

So, the day comes and I show up at the B Bar, but no one is there. I see an envelope with my name on it, so I open it up. It contains instructions for finding my blind date, a set of clues really.

The first clue sent me down into the basement. That made me a bit uncomfortable because of what happened the last time I was there. I found the next envelope on top of a crate of Banana rum. Ok, now I am getting worried. This clue instructs me to head down the tunnel, toward where I found the giant fissure last time. I hope it doesn't want me to cross that chasm again. I just will not do it.

Using my cell phone as a lamp, I headed down the tunnel. Before long I reached a small stool siting beside a door on the right side of the tunnel. Hmmm, I didn't notice that door before. Opening the envelope, I see that I am to go through the door and look for the golden key. Weird, but ok. Here I go.

I admit this was a bit intriguing, but I was still freaked out a bit about the basement. The tunnel beyond the door was dimly lit. Curving slightly left, I saw a brighter light ahead. I walked toward the light and soon entered a large cavern. It was lit as if the sun was shining and full of palm trees, small ferns, and lots of plants with leaves that resembled elephant ears.

What the... I thought as I looked around. Who did this and how? A path led away and turned right around a large bush. Following it, I found a large golden egg sitting upon a tripod. Dangling from one leg of the tripod was a rock hammer. I took the hammer and cracked the egg open. Inside I found the golden key and another envelope. The new instructions sent me to the back of the cave where I found another door. Opening the door with the golden key, I was surprised to find myself in a Denny's parking lot.

Great, I thought. Denny's, how fun is this? What do I do now though? Just as I was about to turn around and go back, a young girl approached and asked, "Are you Averren?"

"Yes," I replied. "Are you..."

"Come with me, please."

With nothing else to do, I followed her into the restaurant. Once inside, she took me to the other side of the building and into an area that was used for parties. The divider was closed and held a sign with PRIVATE printed on it. Opening the divider, she ushered me inside and slid the divider closed behind me.

There was only one table. The lights were dimmed, and soft music played in the background. The table was set for two. Small candles supplied a bit more light, highlighting a solitary rose lying between the place settings. Very nice, I thought, but where is...

Stepping out of the shadows in the back of the room, Andre appeared. Staring in shock, I finally said, "Andre? I told you last time I don't date guys. No offense, but you're not my type."

Taking a step closer, Andre cocked a hip and winked at me. I had to admit, the blond wig wasn't working for me, but the red lipstick... and that dress...

Sensing my thoughts, Andre said, "Is that a banana in your pock..."

"Stop," I said laughing. "So, what's for dinner?"


© Copyright 2022 Averren (drkelley at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2267349-Blind-Date