*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2268107-Freedom
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #2268107
A young bard finally finds freedom
Freedom




Lyryk watched the leaf dance along the rock wall in front of her in rhythm with the soft tune she blew on her flute. While playing, she practiced one of the cantrips she'd learned, making the wind puff enough to keep the leaf dancing. She was finally free.

The fledgling bard had escaped her abusive family and made her way to the city, only to jump into a much worse situation. Her naivete had cost her when she accepted the woman in the green gown's sponsorship--Lady Jarvid. Lyryk was wary of the men approaching her. She'd had enough experience in the pubs with blokes who thought they could put their hands on her because she was the "entertainment." A well-placed heel or knee had stopped more than one potential assault.

Lady Jarvid seemed safe enough, though. The lady had paid for the half-elf's accommodations at the college. She treated the girl as an honored guest on the occasions Lyryk visited the estate of her patron. So flattered by the showering of attention and praise, Lyryk failed to notice the somber expressions and pitying looks from the lady's household. Not until her apprenticeship with the college was complete, and she moved into her patron's household.

That was when the nightmare began.

The first night in Lady Jarvid's home, she was awakened a bare two candlemarks after falling asleep. Lyryk played the night away on her lute. When she stopped to rest her throbbing fingers, the lady complained bitterly, then cast a compulsion on her new toy. The half-elf played until her fingers bled, sang until her voice failed. Every night was the same until she could bear no more.

A month passed, then two. Then a chance at freedom, Lyryk took it.


© Copyright 2022 Just Jae (jaejaeme at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2268107-Freedom